Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 62 and pretty good shape but not ready for this.
Tooling along a secondary road doing the 40 mph speed limit and only an 8th of a mile from my home, I was taken down by a postal truck. I don't remember any of it but was told the mailman ran the the stop sign on my right and T-boned me.
Just enjoying my second Burgman 650 with only 300 mile on it and the next thing I know, someone is messing with my forehead in the E.R.. I was not wearing a helmet and I had head injury that needed stitched up. I also had a broken pelvis in 4 places, ankle broken 2 places, foot broken 4 places, 3 degree shoulder separation, some internal bruising and gull bladder failure. Not counting tons of road rash. Almost 3 weeks in the human hobby shop and a month of home care and P.T.
The scooter was totaled by Geico Ins.

All that to say no matter how much experience you have, sometimes it is unavoidable.
I have been riding 2 wheel machines since I was 12, starting with a sears moped and owning bikes as big as HD Ultra classic, Vrods, Goldwings, and some twenty others. Graduated to Burgmans.
I am giving up two wheels now, really hard to do but this is the second time I cheated death on the motorcycle. Made deal with my wife and picked up a 2014 Corvette Stingray to ease the pain.
Please stay vigilant and just expect the unexpected.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
the mail must go thru regardless of rain, snow or burgmans......
i am 62 and pretty good shape but not ready for this.
Tooling along a secondary road doing the 40 mph speed limit and only an 8th of a mile from my home, i was taken down by a postal truck. I don't remember any of it but was told the mailman ran the the stop sign on my right and t-boned me.
Just enjoying my second burgman 650 with only 300 mile on it and the next thing i know, someone is messing with my forehead in the e.r.. I was not wearing a helmet and i had head injury that needed stitched up. I also had a broken pelvis in 4 places, ankle broken 2 places, foot broken 4 places, 3 degree shoulder separation, some internal bruising and gull bladder failure. Not counting tons of road rash. Almost 3 weeks in the human hobby shop and a month of home care and p.t.
The scooter was totaled by geico ins.

All that to say no matter how much experience you have, sometimes it is unavoidable.
I have been riding 2 wheel machines since i was 12, starting with a sears moped and owning bikes as big as hd ultra classic, vrods, goldwings, and some twenty others. Graduated to burgmans.
I am giving up two wheels now, really hard to do but this is the second time i cheated death on the motorcycle. Made deal with my wife and picked up a 2014 corvette stingray to ease the pain.
Please stay vigilant and just expect the unexpected.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
pretty sad you're giving up motorcycles, but i'm glad you made it. ATGATT

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
pretty sad you're giving up motorcycles, but i'm glad you made it. ATGATT
All respect and no offense, but I got to agree with Fernando here. No helmet or riding gear? I had a moped at 15 also, and a helmet to go with it; even before it was the law here in CA..

Glad you're okay, though. It is a cautionary tale for all of us. Thanks for sharing it.

Congrats on the Stingray!

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash, glad you are healing, enjoy the Vet,

·
Registered
48 Posts
Glad you are alive to tell about it. Your list of injuries makes mine feel better. (See bear 1 burgman 0 thread).

At least the gubment will be picking up your tab. Every time I see the mail lady pull up I wonder how big will the bill be today?

Hope you heal up fast.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Hmm, not exactly sure if corvette would have had much better chances against the truck. Unless only the pillow. :confused:

But since it's all about speedo now, i wish a speedy recovery.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I am a retired MC ins. adjuster, and my advice to you is to get a really good lawyer, and sue the pants off the USPS. I'm also 75 yrs old and still ride every chance I get, but that Corvette sounds like a great idea for when I finally give up riding. Here's hoping you heal fast, best of luck.Tom

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
My retire from Cycles car will be a all wheel drive Turbo'ed Subaru engined Kit Car like a Lotus 7 or Lotus 11. Stock looking but 400 HP in AWD all in a 2000 pound car.

Take care. You are still allowed to lurk and post comments and rub our noses in the dirt about the Corvette.

·
Registered
18 Posts
USPS vs. 650

All your injuries make me hurt. Sorry your 2 wheel days are over. We would all like to quit on our own terms when the time is right. I too started riding at age 12 and still at it at 81. I hope you heal fast and get a good settlement for all your pain.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I like several of you started riding early. Started at 11 and am still riding. I am younger than most of you though, only 62. I am sorry about your accident. Glad you are healing okay though although I understand giving up the motorcycle after being hurt as bad as you were.

I don't expect I will give up riding as long as I can get on the bike and go.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
All respect and no offense, but I got to agree with Fernando here. No helmet or riding gear? I had a moped at 15 also, and a helmet to go with it; even before it was the law here in CA..

Glad you're okay, though. It is a cautionary tale for all of us. Thanks for sharing it.

Congrats on the Stingray!
Brain bucket...is mandatory................

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got an SL500 Mercedes
All I will ever need.
O, well for two wheels, a 650 of course.
In fact, I bought another one, just in case
JimV

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sorry to hear my man... That's some substantial injury you have, not to be taken lightly and I think you're doing the right thing after all these years... I'm an ex Corvette owner, be careful because the rear wheels can slip @ a 100 around curves, lol and don't go cheap on the tires! Get well soon brother!!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
During 2008–2010, a total of 14,283 motorcyclists were killed in crashes, among whom 6,057 (42%) were not wearing a helmet.

That also means that 58% of those that died were wearing a helmet.

If you're not wearing a full faced style of helmet, you're subjecting yourself to over 40% of all head injuries.

About 10% of the time I don't wear a helmet.
For all of you that are concerned that I might become a burden on society, I am fully insured, health and life.

Anyone that says that they enjoy riding their motorcycle on a nice warm sunny day with a helmet on as much as they do without a helmet is lying to themselves and you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Wrong, wrong.

Wind noise, bugs, gravel all available on a nice warm day, ohh bird poo too. Wouldn't be without a helmet period, on of off road.

I just laugh at the peeps (privately) who ride without a lid.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I once ran into a Gypsy Moth on the interstate; got me right in the face. If I'd been without the lid, I'd probably have wrecked. Almost did it anyhow.

I'm a lifetime member of ABATE - I believe that wearing the helmet should be a choice rather than the law. Having said that, I choose to wear one every time I climb aboard, thank you very much.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts