Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, had a question. What happens if the recommended oil for a Vespa is 5w-40, but I add 10w-40? Is that ok to do? What harm, if any could that do?

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
You have an oil in the engine that is slightly thicker when the engine is cold but the same weight once the engine warms up. Will this hurt the engine. It's not likely.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of damage or harm could it possibly do, if someone were to use an oil other than recommended?

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
From a purely theoretical standpoint the only two things I could think of that having a oil that is thicker at starter up would cause are the starter would have to work harder to crank the engine and the oil pump would have to work harder to get the oil moving. That could affect longevity of the starter from the higher load. It could lead to accelerated wear of bearings from lack of oil at startup. Unless Vespa has done something very unusual in the design of their engine I don't think the difference between 5W and 10W is likely to cause either unless you are starting the bike in very cold temps.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You will find that you can use a 10-40 oil if you wish. It's listed as ok in the owners manual on all 4 stroke Vespa's for normal ambient temps. But as Buffalo says, it's too thick in sub zero temps so the 5-40 would then be better.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
kxj5906 if you had your location in your profile we would know if you lived in Antarctica or Death Valley. The answers you received would be different.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the tips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts