11,296 Posts
Hi Mike

Thanks for the link.

That is freakin shockin! :shock:

Here the manufacturers response:

Kryptonites Response
Posted Sep 16, 2004, 11:06 AM ET by Chester Bullock
I emailed them the link to this yesterday. Here is their response:
We understand there are concerns regarding tubular cylinders used in some Kryptonite locks. The tubular cylinder, a standard industry-wide design, has been successfully used for more than 30 years in our products and other security applications without significant issues.

The current Kryptonite locks based on a tubular cylinder design continue to present an effective deterrent to theft. As part of our continuing commitment to produce performance and improved security, Kryptonite has been developing a disc-style cylinder for some years. In 2000, Kryptonite introduced the disc-style cylinder in its premier line of products, the New York series. In 2002, Kryptonite began development of a new disc cylinder system for both its Evolution and KryptoLok product lines, which currently use the tubular cylinder design. These products are scheduled to be introduced in the next few weeks.

We are accelerating the delivery of the new disc cylinder locks and we will communicate directly with our distributors, dealers and consumers within the coming days. The world just got tougher and so did our locks.

Lee Yuszczak
Customer Service Representative
Kryptonite
437 Turnpike St
Canton, MA 02021
Phone: (781) 828-6655 Ext 275
Fax: (781) 821-4777
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
HUMOUR ALERT

HUMOUR ALERT

On reflection chaps (and chapesses) we should not be suprised at all.

Because we all know that......................Wait for it...........................

The pen is mightier than the sword!
HUMOUR ALERT STAND DOWN

Rig of the day: Furrowed brows, quizzical looks and harrummphing!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: HUMOUR ALERT

NormanB said:
The pen is mightier than the sword.
Urrmm...when do we get to the humor? :twisted:

·
Registered
239 Posts

NormanB said:
HUMOUR ALERT

On reflection chaps (and chapesses) we should not be suprised at all.

Because we all know that......................Wait for it...........................

The pen is mightier than the sword!
HUMOUR ALERT STAND DOWN

Rig of the day: Furrowed brows, quizzical looks and harrummphing!
I think that should read: The pen is mightier than the SAW ! :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts

billmeek said:
NormanB said:
The pen is mightier than the sword.
Urrmm...when do we get to the humor? :twisted:
A sense of humour is a personality trait and characteristic without it there is only seriousness and sadness. :wink:

·
Registered
320 Posts
We've got a disk lock for our first Burgie and will be getting a second for the new one. They seem to work well.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Invincsum said:
We've got a disk lock for our first Burgie and will be getting a second for the new one. They seem to work well.
I've got one too, but seldom use it. I bought it primarily because I had to show the Dairyland agent a security device in order to get a discount on premium. I just couldn't work up to trying to explain the built-in ignition ignition cover thingy to them. And when I did leave my bike outside when I was working evenings, I used it.

That type of lock is good for deterring the "joy ride" thief. The professional thief is just going to pick the bike up with a sling - or heft it into the back of a van with a couple of accomplices. They'll deal with the lock back at the chop shop.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Kryptonite

You don't see any mention of a recall to put in better cyclinders.

Thank goodness I ended up with a heavy cable lock that uses a flat
key.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Invincsum said:
According to reports the Kryptonite disk lock is one of the locks that can be picked with a Bic pen.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't see a problem, just lock up the pen, lol!!!!!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
philtag6000 said:
I say put a BAN on all the bic pens. :D
Other writing instruments might work too. Let's ban them all and force everyone to write using .... urrrmm .... computers! :lol:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Pappy said:
philtag6000 said:
I say put a BAN on all the bic pens. :D

But WAIT! I have a "PERMIT" for my Bic!
Under a clause in the Patriots Act your permit will be revoked and you will no longer be allowed to flic your Bic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts