Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are two 650 Burgmans that sold on eBay recently , one high mile and one lower mile .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331466202792?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321648140124?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is a Honda Big Ruckus that also just sold recently on eBay . What is interesting is the Big Ruckus list price is half of a 650 Burgman .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171653590811?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Pretty crazy ? TheReaper!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Big Ruckus has an almost "cult" following among the young and uninitiated...... They seem hard to find that haven't been "customized" to death.

The Burger with 13,000 miles seemed to be a good deal if the noise is decent easy repair?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I agree with Gunruner as to the Ruckus' (totally unfounded) cult following.

Referring to the scooter sales numbers presented in the "webbikeworld" link above, they pretty much coincide with what I have observed here in N.E. Florida. The small displacement market is dominated by the cheap Asian things and the maxi-scooter market is dead.

One of the local tourist oriented scooter rental places (we have two here in Saint Augustine) had been stocking some of the Kymco 500s a couple years ago, and sold a few, but ended up dumping the rest early last year--highly discounted because they hadn't moved. The local Jap bike dealers have few or none larger scooters in stock.

I found this chart most telling:

The economy sucks, and no amount of cheer-leading and/or BS from the administration or MSM is going to change that for the foreseeable future. Taking money from productive people and giving it to non-productive people does nothing to create wealth...

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I find the prices a little surprising but not totally. Many people who want a scooter want it for around town only. Burgmans can do in-town but they shine out on the open road. Burgmans are not hard to find but the big Ruck was only sold a couple of years. There is also that cult thing other's have mentioned{I personally find the big Ruck the most hideous thing on 2 wheels!}.

I am thinking about getting rid of my 400 and going to a smaller scoot. It is bigger than I need. I only ride solo and I don't do highway. Also I would prefer to get much better MPG. I am spoiled a bit however and there is no way I would go back to a 50cc and even a 125cc would probably be too small but a 250-300cc sounds about right.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I find the prices a little surprising but not totally. Many people who want a scooter want it for around town only. Burgmans can do in-town but they shine out on the open road. Burgmans are not hard to find but the big Ruck was only sold a couple of years. There is also that cult thing other's have mentioned{I personally find the big Ruck the most hideous thing on 2 wheels!}.
I guess I'm confused.

Do you guys think prices are too high, or too low?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Speaking of Big Ruckus scooters . I've had a few :D TheReaper!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wow a photograph of a rarely seen big ruckus mob. Gatherings like this were only talked of in children's stories and urban legends.:D

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I guess I'm confused.

Do you guys think prices are too high, or too low?
The point I thought the OP was making was that resale prices on the Burgs were low especially compared to the big Ruck which had a high resale value. Personally I think the Burgman and other big scoot new prices are high but used prices are fine.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow a photograph of a rarely seen big ruckus mob. Gatherings like this were only talked of in children's stories and urban legends.:D

Actually I owned 14 in total , I kept the 2 up front in the pic . Back in 2008 after looking for one for over a year I bought one for myself , I could see there was a cult developing so when the economy got bad I bought every low mileage one I could find . I sold 12 and wound up with two free ones for my efforts and still have them . The two up front in the pics are the ones I kept , the black one has 62 miles on it and the yellowish one has 300 miles on it .

Off the show room floor they were terrible , they needed the carb re-jetted , a jcosta racing variator and a heavy duty rear shock . So not only were they expensive they needed some fixing just to get them running right . World wide production was less that 2500 units for all years , so they were scarce . I had people as far away as Norway wanting to buy one . The first one I bought I drove for 4 years and had a total of $4,600 in it with all the farkles , I sold it for $4,300 and it wasn’t even for sale . What is really amazing is the same week , I had just bought my first 650 Burg with 4800 miles on it for $3,000 . I called the Big Ruckus Honda’s best concept ever and their greatest failure ever , because I really think if they had done a better job they would have sold a lot of them . Using an off the shelf Honda 250cc engine for a near 400 pound scooter was their first mistake . Now for the REALLY AMAZING , in Japan a pristine low mileage Big Ruckus is now over U.S. $10,000 .

Today there aren’t many low mileage ones left , the demand (U.S.) for them and the prices have also fallen off . Still they are worth nearly twice as much as their plastic brother the Honda Reflex . While I really liked the concept and military look , the Big Ruckus was under powered . The rear suspension was poorly designed and needed an expensive upgrade . On top of all that the engine as set up was starving for fuel , so much so that it would bog terribly on take off .

Once the gremlins were exorcised the Big Ruckus was a fun peppy around town 250cc scooter . I really enjoyed mine and I’m glad I have a couple of them in storage . All that said like a guy who owned a scooter shop once told me , “scooters have GREMLINS , all of them do just be glad when there is a fix for the because most don’t” . In the end all motor vehicles have their weak points , some less than others but they all have them and they are what they are .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The point I thought the OP was making was that resale prices on the Burgs were low especially compared to the big Ruck which had a high resale value. Personally I think the Burgman and other big scoot new prices are high but used prices are fine.
That shouldn't be too surprising. I think there are a lot less BRs, therefore the prices will tend to be propped up by the lack of supply.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Still they are worth nearly twice as much as their plastic brother the Honda Reflex . While I really liked the concept and military look , the Big Ruckus was under powered .
As a Reflex owner - I remember when the BR first came out. My thought was "what an ugly POS - why would anyone buy one of these when the beautiful Reflex is available :)

My thought was that they would be good for RV owners, who wanted something to ride around while their land yachts are parked - but as a city vehicle? No thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
As a Reflex owner - I remember when the BR first came out. My thought was "what an ugly POS - why would anyone buy one of these when the beautiful Reflex is available :)

My thought was that they would be good for RV owners, who wanted something to ride around while their land yachts are parked - but as a city vehicle? No thanks!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That is why we make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.:) Reaper, You have definitely found a niche hobby with your scooters, Hats Off to ya. It is a job just to keep my 03 running.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That is why we make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.:) Reaper, You have definitely found a niche hobby with your scooters, Hats Off to ya. It is a job just to keep my 03 running.
Yeah I had a lot of fun with all those Big Ruckus scooters , I would drag my son along on these little road trips . We had some fun quality time on those trips , and it got him out of his house for a little break from the wife :D.

I wound up with 2 free scooters and a bunch of parts for my efforts , which is fine I don't need money . I always have a garage full of bikes and now they are all scooters , I have little to NO interest in any thing I have to shift now . That said I would like to have a Yamaha TW 200 for the snow and trails with a set of studded tires .

A lot of people swear by Honda products and I'll admit some of their products are good . BUT ! They make their share of CRAP too , IMHO the Big Ruckus while I loved the concept , and the Reflex were DOGS !
On a scooter IMO you need 1cc of engine for every pound of scooter to have a decent powered / running scooter . The Honda Silverwing and the Burgman 650 have the correct ratios , the Reflex and Big Ruckus do not , both weighed just under 400 pounds wet . And that's why they were dogs IMO , the Big Ruckus was fixable but the fix was to costly for most owners .

Once you bought a Big Ruckus and did all the mods to make it run right it was way to expensive for the average person , especially after the prices on them went parabolic . I bought all mine while the economy was in the pooper so I got them cheap . I bought several for less than $2,500 , then later they went to $5,000 . Needless to say that was the end of the party for me . I sold most of them in the $5,000 range , then one to a guy in New York who wanted all the mods done for $7,500 plus another $500.00 for shipping . He wanted one for his summer home on Long Island . It had to be the 2005 color and in perfect as new condition with all the mods running perfectly , the price didn't matter he wanted what he wanted and was more than willing to pay for it .

With only 2500 of them in the world they became VERY sought after by some , and almost a collector's item within a couple of years post production . My involvement with them was a LOT of fun and I'm glad I still have a couple of them . They are what they are and they in no way can compete with a 650 Burgman , but for me just zipping around town they are just plain fun .

TherReaper!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts