Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am just wondering if it's possible to upgrade a k3 with k7 bits. Stuff like the instrumentation panel or even the engine bits like the cylinder head and piston as opposed to reboring to make the head bigger...just wondering if anyone have tried it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Anything is possible with enough work and money BUT I don't think it is a simple swap like you are thinking. I am pretty sure the engines are completely different, they sure look different in the parts diagrams. Some parts might swap but they are probably few. Best to simply upgrade to a newer model then trying to update parts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...I suppose it is..but was thinking of reboring the head but I thought since the k7 is already running at 400 could just swap that out. The instrument panel shouldn't be too difficult unless the shape is different

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The computer and wiring it to match up would be a chore and the other bits and pieces do not match up well either.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The heads are way different! Look at the head gaskets!

There is no way to swap a 2007+ head onto a 2003-2006 cylinder without a ton of machine work. Even then it may not be possible. The very basic engine might be the same but the head and cylinders are different. Although the other parts, crankcase and such look to be just as different as the heads. I think it is a totally different engine built on the same basic design but sharing little if any parts.

BTW the 2003-2006 instrument unit is a totally different shape than the 2007+ so that won't switch either.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't think it's possible, plus I wouldn't want to have to go thru the work

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Hmm how about a whole engine swap...would you reckon the mounts are similar...
Since the rear suspension is different on the 07+ and the engine mount is part of the rear suspension I doubt you are going to easily be able to do that either. If you have access to a welder and are competent at frame fabrication work you could probably graft the whole rear power unit from an 07+ onto the back of an 03-06.

You are also likely to run into problems with trying to make the electronics work together. I know that on the 650s the dash module and ECM have to be compatible or you get FI indicators. You may well run into the same issue trying to make the 03-06 dash and the 07+ ECM work together.

All in all the effort and cost to do that would probably not be a good investment considering what you could just buy an 07+ model for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the feedbacks, really appreciate it. I guess the revamp was alot more then just surface and a bigger head. Must still loving the ride on the burg regardless

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I can confirm this is not an easily achievable thing to do. I've had the engines out of both the 385cc fuel injected bike and the 400cc bike. You cannot swap them without a huge headache and it's really not worthwhile. All the important stuff is different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys...I always thought based on factory lean model , a lot of the parts would be replicated so as to reduce the amount of work. But I guess they re engineered the whole engine. I guess I just be upgrading to a 650 instead ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts