Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Upgraded 650 Shocks

6K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  RollingStone 
#1 ·
Hi all. As mentioned in an earlier post I said I had ordered some YSS shocks. Arrived today, exactly a week earlier than expected, and on inspection they certainly look well engineered. I fitted them in 10 minutes and rode about 10 miles along the route I take to work every morning, so I know the bumps and undulating bits.
It's a different animal!!!! I left spring pre-load in "as delivered" position and the suspension is firm but the biggest difference is the complete disappearence of the pogo stick effect and much straighter tracking over bumps, due to the quite firm damping on the units. You still feel the bumps but the bike is much more stable. On the main road, recently re- surfaced, it was so much more "planted"

Now the downside. Spring pre-load is adjusted at the TOP of the unit, which looks possible but fiddly as it's up under the mudguard(haven't tried yet) and it's of the threaded ring type, so a quick tweak before a Sunday afternoon trip with SWMBO might be difficult. Updates will follow on this.

The units cost me £160 delivered from Italy. Notwithstanding the awkward adjust ment proceedure am I happy with them?
Absolutely yes, there is feedback where there was none before, it's more comfortable and it's easier in the corners. They do show up the forks so that's the next job.

Cheers all, Jon Robinson

See less See more
#5 ·
Stock shocks and the aftermarket Progressive brand shocks for the 650 have the preload adjustment on the bottom. The Progressives look MUCH better made IMHO.

Suspension part Coil spring Shock absorber Auto part Suspension
<<<< Click to see bigger

#6 ·
My Ikon rear's have the pre-load adjuster at the bottom but the damping adjuster is at the top you need to remove them to reset :-(

Greg

Reactions: Mike33
#13 ·
The damping adjust is the most useful feature :)

Greg

Reactions: Dave_J
#15 ·
Hi all. An update on my post on YSS shocks fitted to my 650.
Today I took SHMBO on a trip to see Hadrian''s Wall in Northumberland. This is the first time I've been out on the scooter with pillion since I fitted the new shocks and I was so pleased with their performance. The trip involved road surfaces varying from first class to absolutely dire.
Cruising on the A69 at indicated 70, absolutely planted, uneven B roads still good at 60, crappy C road into Haydon Bridge meant restricting speed to 45 so as to dodge pot holes.
Granted my original shocks were worn out, but these shocks I would bet give a far better ride than the factory fitments.
Cheers Jon Robinson

#16 ·
On a scale of 1-5 with 1 being Rubbish and 5 is STELLAR, I'd rate the OEM's on all 4 of my 650s a 2.5 and the Progressive spring and shock combo a 4.

#19 · (Edited)
Hi Eric. I'm sorry I can't give you technical info on spring rates etc, as the shocks were advertised specifically for a B650 I didn't enquire, risky I know!!!. However, I can give you a little more feedback from riding 500 miles on them.
I suspect the springs are a little stiffer than the standard springs, as riding solo I find the ride best with the adjusters backed right off. I am a small guy at 180lbs wet through, and on the aforementioned settings I suspect the shocks are a tad over damped so the ride is very firm over very bumpy tarmac, but generally excellent, bearing in mind the smaller wheel. My wife weighs in at 100lbs and last Sunday I wound the spring's up 6 turns, which is 6mm of preload. This was fine for the pair of us, no bottoming out and a firm to plush ride on a wide variety of surfaces, I was very happy with it.
I checked the suspension sag at 10mm spring preload and rolling the machine off its stand the suspension is at its highest point, only settling slightly when my wife sat on the seat. I am sure the suspension would cope with a far heavier load than the 2 of us, which is fine by me as there will be a stack of extra baggage when we set off for Naples in August.
Hope this helps a bit.

Regards Jon Robinson

#21 ·
With ikon shock's you can buy stepped collar that would give you that little bit less compression, you could enquire with your supplier.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.