Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick update to an old thread back in Dec 2010 viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50312 . While I still can not talk about any amounts it looks like we are doing the final papers to settle. They covered all my gear, the impound of my wrecked bike and a buy-off of the wreck. Then the med bills of about $20,000 (before reduction) and lawyer fees. I may not be a happy camper with the amounts but I am so glad its almost over. Over? Yeah right.

I have recovered to about 80% of how I was before the crash. I will limp till my last walking day from this. Most other injures have healed up as best as can be expected. In my job, I am a telephone repair/installer/cable splicer. It requires me to climb telephone poles with climbers or a 24 foot ladder. I can not do this as well anymore but luckily I have fellow workers that have bucket trucks that will do my aerial work IF I ask. I am in training for inside the telephone Central Office but there are no positions open as of yet.

I see the other driver and his still smashed truck every so often at the Fred Meyer store that I got gas from that night. I will try to take a picture one of these times.

And if anyone wants to know, that bike had Motorcycle Tires front and rear, the rear one had 1,500 mile on it.

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
as long as you live and remember frankenberger it won't be over, are you going to get another ?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
It is just crazy how long the insurance/legal systems can take to resolve matters like yours.
We waited for 3 1/2 years for a resolution when a FedEx truck slammed into my wife.
She still has migraines from the neck injury and that was 20 years ago.
I had to switch professions due to several job related back injury's and know how tough it can be to reinvent yourself at a later stage in your career. I have adjusted over time and hope do as well. I still miss building, rebuilding, proto-typing printing equipment and controls but that's why I get a motorcycle rebuild project every so often. It helps keep my sanity in check. 8)
Glad it is almost over for you...well as far as the moneys go anyways.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Dave, that's tough that happened to you. But glad to see everything is starting to pan out a bit better for you now. Hang in there and go for that insider job if you can. Just maybe you might sit back on a bike sometime do you think? :cheers:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Dave bought another Burgman 650 and rides every day to work.

Look at his profile:

My Ride: Burgman 650
Year model: 2008
Purchase date: 25 Dec 2010
Current mileage: 21345

He reported his crash 08 Dec 2010

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes this accident happened BACK on Dec 7th 2010. I bought a new to me 2008 Burgman 650 on Dec 24th, 2010. It had 305 miles on it. It now has 27,000+ miles. I DO ride everyday to work even when its down to 12 Degrees F as long as there's no ice.

But I am thinking about Down sizing soon. There is a Hyosung GT250R that I'm thinking about. :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Not the best of motorcycles but if you want cheap then go for it. Better off with a Kawasaki 250 pregen like the F model.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Dave_J said:
I DO ride everyday to work even when its down to 12 Degrees F as long as there's no ice.

But I am thinking about Down sizing soon. There is a Hyosung GT250R that I'm thinking about. :D
Paging Daboo -- Chris, you have a call on the Somebody in WA State Wants to Downsize from a Burgman 650 Courtesy Phone.
:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dave J. "down to 12 Degrees" Questions

OK, I am an admitted Southern wimp but 12 Degrees leads me to questions. I have been looking for a non heated set of guantlet gloves to keep my hands warm for my 35 minute 60mph commute for years just to get me in the upper 30's. What exact gloves, make and model, do you wear to ride in that kind of temperature. Thank you.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I use Gerbings G3 microwire gloves for winter riding into the teens.

I saw a new material that looked interesting at the last motorcycle show I attended. I think it was a carbon fiber.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve, I do have heated grips and wear HEAD ski gloves. But I did not have heated grips on any of my past bikes. I just bundled up well.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wreck and the aftermath. I missed the details of the wreck, so I don't know how it occurred. I assume it was the Fedex driver's fault. I hope have the a good outcome and least financially. JC

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thank you for the response. I need to make myself ride in colder weather and get use to it. After a 310 mile day trip with me and my wife We have considering buying a GL1800 used. I know the wind protection will be better than my AN650A with the Givi that I have on it but I really love the Burgman for commuting (35 miles one way) and general riding around. I really hate to have 2 bikes for the double insurance/tags/maintenance etc. but I really fear I will wish I kept the Burgman. I also don't know how I will like the GL1800 and that is an expensive buy it, try it, possibly sell it proposition. Mean while I will just keep grinning and shivering at the same time on the Burgman going into the fall and winter. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Steve H. said:
I also don't know how I will like the GL1800 and that is an expensive buy it, try it, possibly sell it proposition.
EagleRider rents motorcycles, including Gold Wings. They have locations in Virginia (DC, Richmond) and South Carolina (Myrtle Beach).
http://www.eaglerider.com/honda-motorcycle-rentals.aspx

The Richmond, VA location currently wants $74/day with unlimited mileage, to rent a GL1800.
Not exactly cheap, but far less expensive than buying one only for the test ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts