Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you may remember, I purchased a K-6, 650 which was not running. It has just under 10k miles in it... I purchased it for $750 thinking that with the large Givi topbox and Clearview XXL vented screen, it would be worth spending some to get it running... If not, I could get my money back parting it out...

I heard from my mechanic. He has downloaded a shop manual and (at my suggestion) trolled around here a bit... He has it a torn down and has determined that the CVT final drive gears stripped causing the problem. Parts will be ordered. I'm having all of the filter, fluids, etc changed so it is as "showroom" as possible.

Question: What might have caused the gears to strip with that few miles. Could it be from going from manual to auto too much or abusively?

Any other thoughts and/or ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Question: What might have caused the gears to strip with that few miles. Could it be from going from manual to auto too much or abusively? Any other thoughts and/or ideas?Thanks!
This is the first time I have heard of major faults in the final set of gears. I don't think you would need an engine strip-down to discover this fault. Are you sure about this? (I am probably the world's greatest sceptic). Have you actually seen the knackered gears? If so, pictures please.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Counting the driving gear on the clutch output, there are 11 gears between the CVT and rear wheel. The first two are oiled from the engine oil, the next 4 are in their own oil (Suzuki calls this group the "transmission") and the last 5 are in the final drive. I'm curious exactly which gears are gone. The bike went many miles before failure, so it's probably not a manufacturing defect. About the only way to ruin them is to run them without oil or with improper oil.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking... Wondering if the previous abused it by switching from manual to auto excessively... ??

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
We would have to know the exact "gears" you are referring to to help much. There are really no gears in the CVT except the plastic gears that work the adjuster. The only thing I can think of that could be called a final drive gear in the CVT would be the spline on the secondary pulley shaft that engages the input to the clutch.

Is it possible he is talking about the gears in the transmission that transfers power from the clutch to the final drive on the swing arm. The transmission and the CVT on the 650 are different things.

To get to the transmission gears you have to take the engine apart as they are inside the engine housing and you have to split the crankcase halves to access them. If those are the gears you are talking about, the normal reason they fail is that someone failed to refill the transmission with oil after they drained it.

I don't think switching from manual to auto modes would not have much if any effect on the life of the CVT.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I was thinking CVT plastic gears for shifting but yah need a better description.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The gears are the plastic ones... I'll try to get pics and part numbers... I've been laid up with kidney stones, so haven't been able to see them...

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The gears are the plastic ones... I'll try to get pics and part numbers... I've been laid up with kidney stones, so haven't been able to see them...
That would mean a very close inspection of all the interanl parts with particular attention to the primary pulley assembly which has the adjuster in it.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
OK those gears are not the final drive gears. They are the gears that adjust the primary pulley assembly to change gear ratios.

If they are stripped I would suspect there is a problem with the primary pulley assembly or something else in the CVT. If everything is working properly there should not be enough load on those gears to strip them.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Photo of plastic gears that are to be replaced. I'm having the belt replaced since they are in it already...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
photo didn't load... will try again...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't get the photos to load... The 2 gears that are stripped are the plastic ones at the end of the final drive... Everything else seems to move freely. Parts are ordered along with a new belt. Figured it best to replace it while it is open...

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The above photo shows the 2 plastic pieces that are stripped... Everything in the final drive appears to be able to move freely... Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Still not sure what you mean by "final drive". Look at this schematic of the CVT. http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=704376&category=Scooters&make=SUZUKI&year=2008&fveh=18996

The plastic gears are items 34, 37 and 39. Gear 34 fits on the end of the electric motor that provides the power to shift ratios. Gears 37 and 39 are reduction gears that slow the rotational speed from gear 34 down and transfer it to the large ring gear on the outside of the primary pulley (item 9). The large ring gear on the primary pulley turns the adjuster inside the primary pulley varying the width of the pulley and thus the ratio.

In normal operation there is not a lot of load on those gears and not much reason for them to strip without some other cause. Usually when people have reported them stripped it is because of a primary pulley failure. The usual causes of a primary pulley failure are bearing number 14 failing, o'ring number 11 failing or the adjuster inside the primary pulley failing. Your mechanic should be able to easily turn the large ring gear on the primary pulley assembly and have the pulley faces open and close smoothly. He should inspect bearing number 14 for condition. He should inspect o'ring 11 to ensure it is intact.

One other reason I could think of for them failing is if the electric motor failed to stop when the pulley reached it's full open or closed position. That might be because of a faulty PPS (item 18 ). It would also be possible a faulty ECM could fail to stop the current to the electric motor at the proper time.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
In normal operation there is not a lot of load on those gears and not much reason for them to strip without some other cause. Usually when people have reported them stripped it is because of a primary pulley failure. The usual causes of a primary pulley failure are bearing number 14 failing, o'ring number 11 failing or the adjuster inside the primary pulley failing. Your mechanic should be able to easily turn the large ring gear on the primary pulley assembly and have the pulley faces open and close smoothly. He should inspect bearing number 14 for condition. He should inspect o'ring 11 to ensure it is intact.
And make sure the primary pulley halves can't spin independantly of each other (key way failure, also cockes the H blocks in the drive belt).

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm far from being a gear head, so please forgive my ignorance.... I'm probably using the wrong terms... It isn't the final drive... It is the variable part... I'm learning, but am not real knowledgable... Thanks for your patience!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well... After waiting patiently for the mechanic to work and for Suzuki to get parts so the mechanic could work... I have my K-6, 650 Burger insured, titled, safety inspected and running! I've put almost 100 miles on her since picking her up yesterday afternoon...

To refresh memories, I paid $750 for her "not running!" She came with a large Givi topbox, a Clearview XXL vented shield, wood grain on the compartment covers and good tires. She is white, but was covered in "Loony Tunes" character stickers and incredibly dirty... I've got $1200 in parts & labor with new oil, no stickers, clean and running great!

In Texas, when you register a vehicle, you have to pay taxes on the fair retail market value determined by them... I had to pay taxes on $3250! So I suppose that I made a pretty good decision to take a risk! I'll post pictures as soon as I can and if I can figure how to upload them!

RevKag

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
That "taxes on the fair market value" is a bit of a rip off for folks like you who bought a non running vehicle at a reduced price. Wasn't always that way but folks getting around taxes by claiming sales prices way below what they actually paid forced the state into using that rule.

Glad you got the bike running. Be sure to follow the break in rules for that new belt.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts