Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ted asked me for an update on the corbin close seat for my B400 now that I have had it for awhile. I don't really have a whole lot to add, but here goes.

I got the seat around 400 miles and I now have 1700 miles on the scoot. I have gotten use to it. The seat looks good, has lowered me to the ground about 1/2" and is fairly comfortable. I think that the seat for the butt area should have been wider for better comfort. Course if I had a smaller butt that might not have been an issue. :( The wooden dowl that I use to prop the seat up when open works well.

I could not use the back rest on the close seat because it sat back behind the rider at least 2" and even if I angled it fwd the rest would not have been in the correct position for my back. So I returned the back rest.

All in all if I had to do it over again, I think I would have tried to find a way to haul my scoot to Jacksonville, Fla to Sargents or tried even harder to find an upholster who could cut the foam to fit me and cover the seat.

To my mind, if I am going to spend that kind of money on a seat I would like it to fit properly. That's about all I can think of unless you have some particular question. I hope this helps.

Evelyn

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
But I am over 250 and you got me thinking Corbin may not be the way to go for my big butt.
Have you contacted Corbin , I understood they can make it wider, but I may be wrong.
Also I was told Corbin did not make a "close" seat for the 400.

But whats the bottom line as far as can you do a long mile day without pain?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm over 300 pounds. I've never done more than 200 miles in a day with my Corbin, but felt like I could easily have done 200 more. It's not a perfect product by any means. Indeed, there are numerous drawbacks. However, it does its basic job. If you search "Corbin 400" with "all terms" selected, you'll find many further comments on the subject, many of them by me.

Evelyn, may I as a favor? Could you go into more detail about your dowel rod setup? How long is it, and where do you put it to hold the seat up? Thanks! I'd like to set mine up the same way. Though I admit I've not had time to try very hard yet, I still haven't found a promising way to make a dowel work. I'm getting rather tired of the "self-closing" feature of the Corbin. :)

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Evelyn, useful report. I hope it is reviewed by potential Corbin buyers before they rush out to buy one without trying one first. Two people have posted recently they are selling Corbins and I know a third who is going to sell his. I am not bashing Corbin seats. They are good seats, they are just not for everyone. Some people like them, some don't. And they are not cheap.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
OK----Two items, #1 Know anyone selling a 400 Corbin seat :)

--- This is on a stock 400 seat. I don't know how far a Corbin opens so i don't know if it will work--
I took my rod out all together, when I open the seat I want it open !
My seat now opens to the point of "going over" and I use a small chain to hold it so there is no real tension on the hinge. works fine (for me) :wink:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To answer some of your questions:

Yes Corbin does make a close seat for the 400. The company did say that "a person had 1 year from the time of purchase for Corbin to rework the seat for free". Of course I would have to find a box to ship it off and who knows how long it would take before they would ship it back to me.

It also took my dealer 2 hours to install the seat because, according to them "the seat did not fit properly on the scoot which affected the latch for closure." The seat closes fine, sometimes it is a little stiff to open with the key, so then I have to jiggle the seat a little to get the latch to open. I was scared that one day I might not be able to ride with my helmet stuck in the trunk. So that was another reason why I decided to get a Givi case. Fortunately I did not have to pay for the amount of time to install the seat, because the dealer did not realize that this would be such a hard task to do. However he more than made up for that on the installation of my Givi E450 case. :evil:

I am not saying that this is a bad seat. However, for the close seat, Corbin may have taken too much off of the seat to bring it fwd, thus not allowing my butt to rest fully widthwise on the seat. Although the regular Corbin seat might be wide enough around the butt area. I have only ridden about 2 hours straight on the seat and did not feel any aches or pains. I do not know how I would feel after a longer ride.

I used a 1/2" wooden dowl (cause that's what I had in the garage) and cut it to 8 and 3/4" length. I then held the seat up as far as it would go without removing the arm and placed the dowel in between the 2 screws with black rings around them and held up the seat. It was quick to make and easy to store in the trunk without taking up much room. The chain idea is nice, but then I would have had to take the arm off and get a chain (too much work for me to do) :wink:

For the people who are selling used Corbin seats out there, the bugs that I mentioned earlier probably have been worked out already. And a seat that is reasonably priced would not be out of the question for purchase.

I hope this helps.

Evelyn

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Evelyn, Thanks, it helps a lot, I have the order ready and two or three times a day I go by and "almost" hit enter :)
No doubt one of these days someone will push me over the edge :roll:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Yeah Randy, I'm sorta like you; I think I'd like one....but with backrest and all, thats a lot of dough that I could buy a new........with!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
RIGHT ! and there is a new ..... I am thinking about also :lol:

That brings up anothe point, someone (I think) mentioned that you almost don't need the back rest because the Corbin seat is so deep.
Any corbin owner comments :?:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Randy, can't speak for 400 Corbin's of course, but the Silver Wing I rode briefly had a backrest and I would want one. The back of that Corbin was more straight up than our OEM seats, which some folks ride without the butt pad. For me, the existing butt pad is useful, and I raised mine up considerably to make it more of a backrest...middle of it fits in the small of my back.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Ted, when I do order it (Note the *MPA) I will leave my option open and get it with the back rest hardware installed. :)

Also think I will get a basket weave pattern, in maybe a gray on the seat section.
Black is just to hot down here.

*Positive Mental Altitude

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Randy, yeah, black is hot. I use a good quality sheepskin which does wonders for the heat....and warm in the winter. Prob would use it on a Corbin as well. Best $25 I've spent on it.

Hurry and get yours so we can have another report on it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The back of the corbin seat comes up to about the small of ones back. I think I would have liked more support that a back rest can give just for extra comfort. Since the backrest won't work with the close seat then I will just have to "tough" it out without one :wink:

Did you make your dowel rod to hold up the seat yet? How do you like it?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Evelyn,
With the close seat -how far back are you sitting lets say compared to a stock seat ?
If you can would you measure from the seam on the bottom back of the seat (talking about were you sit) to perhaps the glove box lock.?
Also do you happen to know how muck closer the "close "seat is.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Evelyn- Made the dowel rod last night, and it works very nicely. I'm considering velcroing it to the underside of the seat itself, so that I can find it easily. My trunk is always cluttered.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Randy,

If you measure from the lock of the glove compartment to the back of the bottom portion of the seat it measures about 25 and 1/2". If you allow your tape measure to curve upward with the seat the total from the glove compartment to the top of the seat would be 33 and 1/2".

When you order the seat, Corbin will ask for your inseam measurements. I also threw in my arm length as well just so they could get a better picture of distance from the steering column as well as leg distance (stretched out) from the floor boards. I requested that the nose be shaved so my feet had a better chance of touching the ground and that part worked.

I am glad the dowel worked out well for you Lapine, not a bad idea re: velcro. I just put the rod on one side of the trunk which worked out fine for me.

I also just bought a rain suit and did not realize how much space that takes up. I am almost sorry I did not go with a bigger case on the back of the scoot.

The rain jacket while nice (1st Gear splash) does not have a hood. Now I have to run around and look for a rain hat. I want the kind that has a brim all around it. Anyone have any ideas where I could find one?

Evelyn

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Evelyn,Thanks for the seat measurements.
You kind of lost me on the rain hat,You plan on wearing it over your helmet :?: :?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No I'm just getting kind of squirrely. I ordered a First Gear Rain Splash suit and realized that it had no hood (in case I want to walk around in the rain). But then after storing the suit in the trunk of the Burg, I noticed that it takes up a whole lot of room, more than I want. :( So I'm going to send the whole dang thing back and buy some Frog Togs which comes with a hood, is lightweight and takes up very little room.

This is why I hate to order things over the internet. I need to try everything on to see if I like it. So forget about the rain hat. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts