Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '07 Burgman 650 did a VERY unusual thing today. After sitting unridden for 16 days, it would not start. Turned over fine. Battery was on a battery tender.

Engine turning over but would not start. :(. Tried it 4-5 times .... Then pushed back into shed. Hit the stater switch a couple a times. Same thing. Turns over but not starting. I'm getting concerned! Hit the starter a couple more times and it finally fired, but kinda sputtered a few seconds before idling normally. Strange. Never happened in almost 13K miles and 7 months of ownership.

The good news.... It ran normally after that. Rode it about thirty miles with a couple of stops. It started fine and ran fine after initial difficulties. What do ya think ?

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My 400 did it a couple of times. It flooded because of me. I turned the switch on 2 or 3 times without starting it. Every time you turn the switch on, the injectors squirts out a little gas. It flooded the plug.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
They seem to do that every once in a while. Both my 400 and my 650 have done it. First time was about a week after I bought the 650. Put it on the trailer and took it back to the dealer. The service manager got it to start by holding the throttle open while he cranked it. Since then it has happened 3 or 4 more times on the 650 and a couple on the 400. Each time I have been able to get them to start by holding the throttle open while I'm cranking them. As with yours when they start they sputter and run ruff for a couple of seconds before idling normally.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They seem to do that every once in a while. Both my 400 and my 650 have done it. First time was about a week after I bought the 650. Put it on the trailer and took it back to the dealer. The service manager got it to start by holding the throttle open while he cranked it. Since then it has happened 3 or 4 more times on the 650 and a couple on the 400. Each time I have been able to get them to start by holding the throttle open while I'm cranking them. As with yours when they start they sputter and run ruff for a couple of seconds before idling normally.
Well I reckon that 3 or 4 times in 115k is within tolerance:). Thanks, it worried me there for a few minutes. Next time I'll know how to respond.

It's just that it had started and run flawlessly since I've owned it. Only other issue was that the headlights quit working for a part of one day. Fixed itself. Starter switch sticking I figured. Hasn't done the headlight thing since.

Thanks-Sirkitrider

·
Registered
438 Posts
This is why I love this forum. My bike started getting grumpy as it got cold, and I know the battery is getting on four years old, but I hauled it in the garage, charged up the battery, and it wouldn't start. It turned over fine. It usually starts by the third turn, but not now. Okay, say I, I need to replace the battery... next spring. However, I'll try this trick, and see if it will start.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
213 Posts
Was the temp below freezing? If so, could a bit of moisture in the fuel system have frozen and blocked the flow of gas initially?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was the temp below freezing? If so, could a bit of moisture in the fuel system have frozen and blocked the flow of gas initially?
Weather was really cold with some days/nights below freezing for the first week.... But in the forties the second week. And the scoot lives in a 10x16 fully enclosed shed. Never had a bike with any gas moisture issues in that shed. Don't think it was moisture, but it's possible.

Among others who had this to happen .... What do y'all think causes it??

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
857 Posts
My scoot lives under a carport so no direct sunlight or rain. The 400 usually makes a lot different sound when its cold but it always starts fine!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would suspect the crappy gas these days. Do you use any additive, e.g., ethanol treatment, drygas, fuel system cleaner? I use a fuel system cleaner that contains an ethanol treatment with almost every fill-up. So far no problems. I do the same for all of my small engines - garden tractor, mowers, two stroke blowers and weed-eaters. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys, rode few a miles yesterday and today .... And the Burgman is back to its old self. Starting fine and running finer! I still would like to know the "why" but oh well.... Just glad it's back to normal. Thanks for all your replies.
Sirkitrider

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Well guys, rode few a miles yesterday and today .... And the Burgman is back to its old self. Starting fine and running finer! I still would like to know the "why" but oh well.... Just glad it's back to normal. Thanks for all your replies.
Sirkitrider
Our K9 650 has done this twice in 5 years. Opened throttle like Craig stated and started right up. I've resolved to the fact that humans aren't perfect therefore are unable to build perfect machines. JMO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts