Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aka "USLMRA!"
Ok - here 'tis.... the site for the (ahem,) "United States Lawn Mower Racing Association" Now dear scooter pilots...this is justa bout as low brow as you can get. And, well, I LOVE low brow! 8) Hey now (!) I hafta pay for my kids college! :( But I do have a 12 horse rear-engine craftsman that runs...but...the rest of it, uh, is about ready to fall to pieces!
I can hear the local (and folks...they do have these races around here) seasoned pro now....."Now ya take dat ding dang governor valve snapper off an ya weld dat ol diff up and ya pop open dat sumobotch, then ya..." :twisted:
http://www.letsmow.com/video.html

·
Registered
925 Posts
I always wanted to try racing lawnmowers. I think it would be a blast :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Pete,
Can you compare the advantages and disadvantages of front and rear engined models? Is the 2005 race schedule out yet?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Fun

I had a 13 HP mower hubby bought me to mow our lawn in Massachusetts...it really moved out in 5th gear! Sold it to our neighbor before we moved...he says the lawn is no longer a chore! :D

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Bwdbrn1 - I haven't looked into it yet, so I haven't a clue. It's just mostly mental masturbation. I have a rear engine riding lawnmower acting as a lawn ornament. It does run, but the deck is all messed up. I figure that with minimal time and money I could be down there "racing" with the rest of my lower alabamian enthusiast! :p Which one is better? Again - haven't a clue. My guess would be the front engine ones....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just wondering, i watched the videos, seemed the front engined ones tend to hang the back end out while going around the corners more than the rear engined ones do. Also saw that there's a couple of places they race in Illinois that aren't too far from me. Thought it'd be kind of a hoot to go watch some time.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I use to race go karts and did all the racework on them. I could make a 5hp honda motor do 60 miles an hour and rev at around 6300 rpms before the valves started to float. I'm sure I could tweak some speed out of your 12hp craftsman :twisted:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well, there went the reputation for Illinois. But yes we do, at county fairs and local homecoming (carnival) celebrations throughout the summer. Folks, this is rural America at its finest. The locals come out to race for fun with their oldies, but those who are into it big are members of a national group who build their own engines and match trannys and cut grooves on the pulling tires. Imagine a typical 10 horsepower block. Now trick it out with everything imaginable and run it on alcohol like dragsters. How many HP do ya think cranks out of that air cooled block?

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate posting replies to my own posts (has that stopped me? noooooo) But I have to say that I blew up the B&S 8 horse engine that I had in my Tote Gote because I was just sick and tired of the Bennelli (sp?) mini bikes dusting me. Yeah - I was 13 and did not have a brain.

My Pop graciously supplied me with a new Briggs&S engine, and he and I put it in. He told me over and over again that if he EVER "caught" me with the "governor tweaked" he'd sell it. I did (duh). And he did. I found meself vehicleless for 3 years after that....

Live and learn huh?

I really think I am going to make that my summer "hobby."

Lawn Mower Racing?... I think it's probably great fun and it is on the US bottom floor.

Thanks Al for fanning the flame.

I love nascent stuff.

pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts