Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today a big RV was leaving our parking lot and a scooter fell off the back rack. The front cowling got cracked but nothing big. The driver got out cussing and swearing up a storm vowing to get rid of that POS as soon as possible. I heard all this and walked over and helped him get the scooter upright and off to the side. I asked him why the hatred for the scooter and he said he bought it for his daughter for when they go RV'ing but the first time she rode it she fell and wants nothing to do with it. It just stays on the RV and kills my gas mileage, always in the way, and just a pain. I asked what he wanted for it and he said $200 right now and it's yours. I said I'd take it and he dug out the title smiling. So I now own another scoot.

Not exactly what I had planned when I started my day but I love a good "easy" cheap project. So now to turn a rusty neglected 2004 Honda Helix into a road worthy steed again.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Got a picture of your new project?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I LOVE the Honda helix. That was my first scooter! I read an article about a guy who did the iron butt rally on one, 10k miles in 10 days. I figured if it could do that rally, I could certainly haul my behind around the city.

I know a guy who has all kinds of bikes, BMWs, burgman, Harley, etc. and he always shows up on his helix. He's ridden it accross country many time. Recently replaced the engine at 100k miles and its still going.

Those bikes are bullet proof, never had a problem with mine. Just changed the oil in 10 years. That's it. Maybe a tire or two also. No belt, no clutch, no coolant, no spark plug, no brakes, nothin hardly.

Well enjoy. It's a fun bike to ride. Super low to the ground. Best heavy commuting bike I've ever had.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Helix was my first 3 scooters. Loved them all. Got hit by cars on all 3. Hopefully the same won't be true of the Burgman.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Scootereno,

This begs the question of whether anyone seen you loosening the tie straps holding his scooter in place? Just kidding, his loss.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ooops! In my haste I totally blew it....Sorry all!

The scooter is a 2004 Honda Elite 80cc not a helix.:confused:
I did know this before buying I just had an OldTimers moment while typing. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
This begs the question of whether anyone seen you loosening the tie straps holding his scooter in place? Just kidding, his loss.

Love it very funny made my day.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The scooter is a 2004 Honda Elite 80cc not a helix.:confused:
I did know this before buying I just had an OldTimers moment while typing. :rolleyes:
Well in that case, the scooter is a total POC. Boy did you get swindled, there's a reason you don't buy things that fall off the back of a vehicle. :D oops, I mistyped.

Great bike is what I meant to say. OldTimers moment... You understand.

Congratulations on whatever you got! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well in that case, the scooter is a total POC. Boy did you get swindled, there's a reason you don't buy things that fall off the back of a vehicle. :D oops, I mistyped.

Great bike is what I meant to say. OldTimers moment... You understand.

Congratulations on whatever you got! :rolleyes:
Too Funny I deserve that one. :D

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the pics.
The last on being the damage from the fall.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Ah fond memories. Back in '05 the Honda Elite 80 was my gateway drug. Two months later I was snorting a Burgman 400. Now I mainline the 400 for my daily city highs, or drop a tab of 650 for my countryside trips. :thumbleft:

edit

Just saw your pix. You know, if you put $500 into that thing, you could end up with a $300 scooter.

Seriously, though, have fun!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is my "teach the wife how to scoot" scooter. I have started to reupholster the seat and paint the rusty wheels. I have found 2 bird nests and countless mud/dirt daubers nests behind the Tupperware and a rusty rear brake cable. Everything else looks pretty sound so far....
I will wait to do any body work and paint until after the wife gets comfy on it so I don't have to repeat any work. :cool:

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
This is my "teach the wife how to scoot" scooter.
I will wait to do any body work and paint until after the wife gets comfy on it so I don't have to repeat any work. :cool:
I need to get one of those.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Great story scoot... A bit o bondo and a few rattle cans could dress her up a tad. Congrats ode boy, it's a fun little ride.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks.
I am actually thinking of vinyl wrapping this one but maybe a red candy rattle can job would be sweet too. I've been pretty happy with the carbon fiber wrapped bottom panels on my Burg so far. I've never really used much bondo on my bikes/scoots. I prefer ABS cement with fiberglass matting on the backside then heat welding and sanding the front or "pretty" side.
I have re-foamed the seat and waiting to decide if I do a red and white diamond tuck seat cover or keep it the more stock black. I just don't know... what to sew.....:cool:
Rebuilding the gelled gas carburetor today. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went for my first official ride today. The carb rebuild went well and rplacing the brake cable was too easy so.... even though the seat has not been recovered I took her out on the road for a spin. What a fun smooth little scooter and very quiet unlike most small cc scooters. Now to get the seat done and the wife riding.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts