Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wed Sept. 8 started our Three day, 650 Mile Round Trip Ride up Thur northern Pa to do some sight-seeing.
The weather Man had called for Thunder Storms in the afternoon and sure enough,as we were riding west on RT # 6, the dark Black clouds were ahead of us and the Lightening started with disturbing frequency.
We kept riding to-wards the storm hoping to come to some type of protection from the storm,as the clouds got darker and the Lightening lit up the sky.
Just as the rain drops started, we rounded a bend in the road, we came to a house ,and saw a three sided structure ,used to house Farm Implements
We quickly turned into the narrow gravel road in front of the Shed. As we parked the Scoots and were quickly truing to get our Rain-Gear from under the seats,and woman came from the house, franticly waving her arms. I was expecting to be yelled at for trespassing and to be told to move on,when she got close enough we heard her say " come down here to the house"
She was waiting on their small front porch as we approached,and I asked he if we could wait on a bigger side porch until the storm passed. She emphatically replied, "no, come into the house with us"
The husband was sitting in his easy chair in Pajamas as he was just recuperating from cancer.We found ,that they were Snowbirds,spending 6 Mo here ,then 6 Mo. in Florida.
We spent better than an hour talking to this couple and being treated like the had known us for years.
I can remember when I was young,and my parents had a chance to visit somewhere overnight.that they would tell the neighbors,"the house is not locked, if you need something,help yourself"
It has been a long time since I have come across this type of trust and friendliness and this encounter reinforces my belief that there are still some very nice people in this world.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Trust and friendliness is worth more than money can buy. Sounds like you had a great ride.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great story that reminds you of the kindness of people. Perhaps you could send them a note of thanks if you can recall the address. I am sure that they would be surprised and pleased to know that you have so publicly thanked them for their generosity and would appreciate a note as such.

As a side note, many people know that Joe Paterno passed away in December. I sent his wife, Sue, flowers for Valentine's Day. In the note I said that I thought a beautiful woman deserved flowers on this special day and though she didn't have her Valentine any longer I was thinking of her. I signed my name, but nothing else. Wouldn't you know it, she actually took the time to look me up in the alumni directory, got my address and mailed me a very nice handwritten card. Amazing.

Btw, I'm in York, near the West Manchester Mall. If you have your route plotted on GPS file or the such I'd be interested in seeing it. I'm always up for a great ride. I love the rides thru the mountains around State College...doesn't take much of an excuse to jump on the scoot and ride to the Creamery for some ice cream for the day :eek:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts