Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Well i finally left my keys in my coat pocket and locked them under the seat. Wasn't far from home so it only cost me lunch. But I decided I was going to create a means to opening my under seat storage without the key.

I had read somewhere in this forum that the seat could be opened by hooking the cable that was accessed by removing the upper rear snap-off tupperware. That wouldn't work for me. Specifically the factory key pull has the cable moving left-to-right to unlatch the seat. There is little clearance to pull the cable down. I tried and the amount of force require was excessive and no-doubt not healthy for the mechanism.

So here is what I did. I used 1/16" SS cable and aluminum crimps to create a cable that runs parallel to the factory cable and then drops down behind the lower rear removable tupperware.

The first 2 pictures show the newly added cable from the top. The cable loops on the same arm used by the factory release invoked by the key. The first pic shows where the cable weaves around the metal frame to keep the pull angle correct.

The second picture does a poor job of zooming in on the connection to the factory pull point. The pull point is under a bunch of metal that I did not want to take apart. Basically it is a small pin with a cotter pin clip. I just looped my cable around the pin and crimped the aluminum crimps.

The last picture shows the cable weaving down the back of the bike. I made a big loop - shown just above the license plate - that hides behind the lower rear removable tupperware. It turns out that I don't have to remove the tupperware to reach the loop. I just grope around with my fingers and find it.

So that it. Two feet of SS cable and one set of crimps cost me $1.80 at Lowes. Takes all of an hour or so.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Good job.

Will take a lok at the video if I can find it.

However, I just tied to the latch and ran the tie out sort of between the seat and the back panel (Somewhat hid under edge of the seat, but not completely hid. Never had anyone try to get into the storage). I wanted some way to open it in case the latch from the key did not work or if I misplaced the key in the storage area and closed it.

That was on a 650 - have not done anything to the 400.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It was the first thing I did to (for) my Burg. I had a long cable (I think a VW hood release cable). Any wire with a looped end will work. I attached it to the release mechanism and ran it through the body panels all the way into the gas cap area. It was the perfect length to wrap around inside the fill -up place and you can't see it. If you dig around under there, you can feel it and give a yank and viola' seat pops up!

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
On a 400, an 18 inch 50 pound steel fishing leader
works just fine....route it down on the left side
to where the tie-down ring is on the frame.
Several folks have done this over the years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts