Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 2022 Suzuki Burgman 400 exceeds all my expectations, in ride, stability, power, handling, appearance, and price, compared to the previous 2011 Burgman 400. I did not test drive the new 2022 Burgman 400 prior to purchase. I can't believe how wonderful the 2022 handles and feels much more stable and planted at freeway speeds over 75 mph.

My 25 mile jaunt on a twisting, windy, and rainy Phoenix rush hour freeway was absolutely delightful, especially at 82 degrees, not 110-115 degrees as has been occurring the last several weeks here in the desert.

I enjoy a similar amount of stability compared to my old 1984 Honda Goldwing Interstate 1200, believe it or not. As for the 2011 Burgman 400; well, it didn't feel stable or planted for me, at least, at freeway speeds. Perhaps there is a lower center of gravity, and certainly the 15" front tire size provides a much greater degree of stability.

Additionally, the new 2022 handles, rides, and accelerates better than the 2011, in spite of the fact that the 2022 had a few more horsepower.

I paid $10,200 with tax and title, out the door at a local dealer. Because I may want to tour, I added a Givi D3115ST windshield, 29.5" tall, bigger than expected after installation and great protection from the elements and today's rain. Price was $136.80 with tax, from Tour and Ride. Next was a Comie Topcase 48L, with beautiful red lenses, a passenger backrest attached, and plenty of room for helmets and everything else. Cost was $95.56 with tax from Amazon. The Shad topcase rack, specifically made for my 2022 Burgman and other models, was $78.18 from Revzilla.

I also have a Nelson-Rigg tail bag, which is strapped to the passenger seat, is expandable, and can hold a full face helmet ($132.88 with tax, from RevZilla), Sedici soft saddle bags (T2 Toscana, for $130.31 from Cycle Gear) that have amazing white reflector stripes that light up when sunlight or driver headlights shine onto the saddle bags. Not to mention the under seat storage. I think I can ride cross country and carry everything I could possible need.

And I can't say enough about the Shark Evo One 2XL size modular helmet. I got rid of my four open and half face cheap helmets. With the Shark modular helmet, I can use it half face or deploy it full face to protect my jaw, even while riding (although not advisable). A separate clear and smoke plastic visor can both pull up or down in no time, to quiet the ride when the full face mode is pulled down. No need to pull out and push in visor snaps for different types of visors. Cost was $439.82 from Cycle Gear.

Compared to riding a Goldwing, which I can't actually ride anymore due to mounting problems (and 67 years old), the Burgman does everything the Goldwing did, but with much less operating costs, incomparable mileage, and much easier to handle and make 180 degree turns.

Simply put, the best motorcycle (step through maxi-scooter) I have ever owned, which includes the Burgman 650, BMW 650, Honda CTX 700s, the aforementioned 1984 Goldwing 1200, a 1980 Goldwing GL-1100, a Honda NightHawk 550, and my first bike when I was 19 years old (and just moved to Phoenix in 1974), a Honda CL-300, with the high pipes.

Riding is so much fun now. I actually just sold my 2005 Corvette, because of fuel prices, and the fact that the 400 is, well, just so much fun.

And it sure beats lymphoma infusions!

Don Castle
Phx, Az.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Good to hear the new model is an improvement. I've not ridden a new one so I can't compare, but I've always felt secure and planted on my 2011 400 all the way up to 100 indicated. How were the tires on your old one? Just wondering if there are some wear items that were "worn"? Anyway, congrats on the new bike, glad you're enjoying it!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Thanks for the great write up of bike, gear and accessories. Welcome back!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tires on the 2011 400 were replaced. It may have been me, but I literally felt that the 2011 was not balanced at freeway speeds, directly opposite from the 2022 400. And I don't scare easy riding motorcycles since age 19.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
745 Posts
Just wondering if there are some wear items that were "worn"?
Exactly, there may be some slight changes in steering geometry with front wheel size, i.e., better handling, etc. on the new bike, but really it feels/handles better because everything is new and tight.

The older bike probably has worn, but "Serviceable" parts, one major thing or combination of several items, like worn/loose/dry wheel bearings, flat spotted/loose/dry, steering stem bearings, engine bushings, front fork fluid/bushings, worn rear shock, linkage, engine mount bushings, etc., etc.

For example, similar to tires, sealed bearings have an Age/Years shelf and/or a service life, determined by the "lubricant" inside the bearing drying/aging out !!, so that low mileage 10yr old bike you got cheap "MAY" have bad bearings just from sitting, really no big deal as you can probably find cheap NIP/NOS/OEM/top brands (with no idea of age :unsure: ) replacement bearings on ebay, etc. :rolleyes::whistle:

Is kind of a "Catch-22" situation o_O

·
Registered
2020 Burgman 400
10 Posts
@July4boomer - Nice write up! I'm a fellow Phoenician with a Burgman 400 (2020) so hopefully see you out and about. I haven't had mine for more than a couple weeks. The weather lately has been amazing to take trips around town. Planning on upgrading the windshield sometime here soon (still stock). Will definitely look at the GIVI you mentioned in your post.

Are you planning on doing anything with the CVT to bring down rpms at cruising speeds?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@July4boomer - Nice write up! I'm a fellow Phoenician with a Burgman 400 (2020) so hopefully see you out and about. I haven't had mine for more than a couple weeks. The weather lately has been amazing to take trips around town. Planning on upgrading the windshield sometime here soon (still stock). Will definitely look at the GIVI you mentioned in your post.

Are you planning on doing anything with the CVT to bring down rpms at cruising speeds?
No.
Let me know if you want to go riding sometime.

Don

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am a shorter rider and have found the Airflow screen (AF3115) to be much better than the OEM windshield. It is the same size as the D3115ST at the base and the top section can be lowered or raised to full height (same as the D3115ST) giving me the flexibility to see over the windshield or ride behind it depending on the weather. Of course if you find that the full height windscreen is too tall for you, you could shorten it. Either way, the Givi windscreen is superior to the OEM.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice review. Kicking tires between the Burgman 400 and the Vespa GTS. A few years ago I had a beautiful Vespa GTS and that was followed up by the Burgman 650. Loved both bikes. Like you I had non Hodgkins lymphoma after years of treatment and finally a stem cell transplant and lots of prayers I am just over 2 1/2 years in remission. 😀 Congrats on you new Burgman 400.

·
Registered
2012 Burgman 400
114 Posts
I'm a former Phoenician, now a SunCitian... 😁 We'll have to meet at Don's favorite Mexican place sometime!

Haven't had riding buddies since I lived in Colorado, some co-workers and I used to ride from Boulder to Nederland for lunch on random Fridays, a nice 15 mile mountain ride. We called ourselves The Danger Riders. :LOL:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice review. Kicking tires between the Burgman 400 and the Vespa GTS. A few years ago I had a beautiful Vespa GTS and that was followed up by the Burgman 650. Loved both bikes. Like you I had non Hodgkins lymphoma after years of treatment and finally a stem cell transplant and lots of prayers I am just over 2 1/2 years in remission. 😀 Congrats on you new Burgman 400.
Sad to hear about your NHL, but glad your stem cell transplant was successful. I certainly can relate having both HL stage 4b, then NHL, follicular. Best of health.
Don.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My new 2022 Suzuki Burgman 400 exceeds all my expectations, in ride, stability, power, handling, appearance, and price, compared to the previous 2011 Burgman 400. I did not test drive the new 2022 Burgman 400 prior to purchase. I can't believe how wonderful the 2022 handles and feels much more stable and planted at freeway speeds over 75 mph.

My 25 mile jaunt on a twisting, windy, and rainy Phoenix rush hour freeway was absolutely delightful, especially at 82 degrees, not 110-115 degrees as has been occurring the last several weeks here in the desert.

I enjoy a similar amount of stability compared to my old 1984 Honda Goldwing Interstate 1200, believe it or not. As for the 2011 Burgman 400; well, it didn't feel stable or planted for me, at least, at freeway speeds. Perhaps there is a lower center of gravity, and certainly the 15" front tire size provides a much greater degree of stability.

Additionally, the new 2022 handles, rides, and accelerates better than the 2011, in spite of the fact that the 2022 had a few more horsepower.

I paid $10,200 with tax and title, out the door at a local dealer. Because I may want to tour, I added a Givi D3115ST windshield, 29.5" tall, bigger than expected after installation and great protection from the elements and today's rain. Price was $136.80 with tax, from Tour and Ride. Next was a Comie Topcase 48L, with beautiful red lenses, a passenger backrest attached, and plenty of room for helmets and everything else. Cost was $95.56 with tax from Amazon. The Shad topcase rack, specifically made for my 2022 Burgman and other models, was $78.18 from Revzilla.

I also have a Nelson-Rigg tail bag, which is strapped to the passenger seat, is expandable, and can hold a full face helmet ($132.88 with tax, from RevZilla), Sedici soft saddle bags (T2 Toscana, for $130.31 from Cycle Gear) that have amazing white reflector stripes that light up when sunlight or driver headlights shine onto the saddle bags. Not to mention the under seat storage. I think I can ride cross country and carry everything I could possible need.

And I can't say enough about the Shark Evo One 2XL size modular helmet. I got rid of my four open and half face cheap helmets. With the Shark modular helmet, I can use it half face or deploy it full face to protect my jaw, even while riding (although not advisable). A separate clear and smoke plastic visor can both pull up or down in no time, to quiet the ride when the full face mode is pulled down. No need to pull out and push in visor snaps for different types of visors. Cost was $439.82 from Cycle Gear.

Compared to riding a Goldwing, which I can't actually ride anymore due to mounting problems (and 67 years old), the Burgman does everything the Goldwing did, but with much less operating costs, incomparable mileage, and much easier to handle and make 180 degree turns.

Simply put, the best motorcycle (step through maxi-scooter) I have ever owned, which includes the Burgman 650, BMW 650, Honda CTX 700s, the aforementioned 1984 Goldwing 1200, a 1980 Goldwing GL-1100, a Honda NightHawk 550, and my first bike when I was 19 years old (and just moved to Phoenix in 1974), a Honda CL-300, with the high pipes.

Riding is so much fun now. I actually just sold my 2005 Corvette, because of fuel prices, and the fact that the 400 is, well, just so much fun.

And it sure beats lymphoma infusions!

Don Castle
Phx, Az.
post a pic if you can

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don, I agree with you. The attributes of the 2022 are almost beyond description. Compared to my 2008, my 2022 has greater acceleration by far, is very stable on the interstate - especially in our Montana crosswinds. I've owned many motorcycles and the 2022 handles more like a motorcycle than any scooter I've ever rode (I started with a Cushman in 1950!). One has to appreciate the way the 2022 squats down and fairly screams through corners! The windshield is not tall and floppy like the one on my 2008 yet it pushes the wind up over my head, no bugs on my helmet! The fairing is nothing short of outstanding. I made the mistake of taking an afternoon jaunt without rain gear this spring and ran through three short but heavy showers. On my 2008 I would have been soaked yet I ended up with only a half dozen rain drops on the tops of my legs, nary a one on my face shield. Amazing! A couple things I didn't like. The butt pad which seemed to protrude too far. I removed and replaced it with a backrest much like the one I have on my 2008. Because the 2022 design is more slim than that of the 2008 there's a bit less storage under the seat but I can live with that. I can put about a week's groceries in the 2008 which I now refer to as "The Tank". Another thing that really bugged me on the 2022 was the little green "Eco" indicator. So are the turn signals. So, especially in town, the Eco would flash whenever I'd decelerate. I'd think I had a turn signal flashing. Drove me nuts until I took a small piece of electrical tape and covered the "Eco" with it. The old "Smith Fix". Until you ride the 2022 you can't truly appreciate the difference between it and the older Burgman models. At 84 I'm still a 170 pounds of rumblin tumblin hell and I appreciate the huskiness of this new Burgman...it's a manly little beast.
Al Smith
Vaughn Montana

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don, I agree with you. The attributes of the 2022 are almost beyond description. Compared to my 2008, my 2022 has greater acceleration by far, is very stable on the interstate - especially in our Montana crosswinds. I've owned many motorcycles and the 2022 handles more like a motorcycle than any scooter I've ever rode (I started with a Cushman in 1950!). One has to appreciate the way the 2022 squats down and fairly screams through corners! The windshield is not tall and floppy like the one on my 2008 yet it pushes the wind up over my head, no bugs on my helmet! The fairing is nothing short of outstanding. I made the mistake of taking an afternoon jaunt without rain gear this spring and ran through three short but heavy showers. On my 2008 I would have been soaked yet I ended up with only a half dozen rain drops on the tops of my legs, nary a one on my face shield. Amazing! A couple things I didn't like. The butt pad which seemed to protrude too far. I removed and replaced it with a backrest much like the one I have on my 2008. Because the 2022 design is more slim than that of the 2008 there's a bit less storage under the seat but I can live with that. I can put about a week's groceries in the 2008 which I now refer to as "The Tank". Another thing that really bugged me on the 2022 was the little green "Eco" indicator. So are the turn signals. So, especially in town, the Eco would flash whenever I'd decelerate. I'd think I had a turn signal flashing. Drove me nuts until I took a small piece of electrical tape and covered the "Eco" with it. The old "Smith Fix". Until you ride the 2022 you can't truly appreciate the difference between it and the older Burgman models. At 84 I'm still a 170 pounds of rumblin tumblin hell and I appreciate the huskiness of this new Burgman...it's a manly little beast.
Al Smith
Vaughn Montana
Thanks for your reply. It is a fantastic bike, and rides more like a motorcycle. I was thinking of a backrest. I have a case that I lean back on, but does not provide much support. Just had first oil change at 600 miles today. Yea, the Eco green light comes on off throttle, but I just ignore it. I did like the oil temperature gauge on the 2011 400, and analogue fuel tank and instruments better than the bar fuel indicator.

I am 67 years old, been fighting cancer last 3 years, and lucky to still be able to ride. I do feel a little silly to still be riding under these circumstances, it seems a bit unreal to be riding. But the bike is a dream.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for your reply. It is a fantastic bike, and rides more like a motorcycle. I was thinking of a backrest. I have a case that I lean back on, but does not provide much support. Just had first oil change at 600 miles today. Yea, the Eco green light comes on off throttle, but I just ignore it. I did like the oil temperature gauge on the 2011 400, and analogue fuel tank and instruments better than the bar fuel indicator.

I am 67 years old, been fighting cancer last 3 years, and lucky to still be able to ride. I do feel a little silly to still be riding under these circumstances, it seems a bit unreal to be riding. But the bike is a dream.
Hang in there Boomer, enjoy the freedom of riding for as long as possible. Sorry for your health issue. I didn't mention another thing I really like is the throaty growl the exhaust emits under acceleration. Gets my old heart started. Like you, I don't like that bar graph gas gauge....what were they thinking? Still a fine machine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts