Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,161 Posts
I'm gonna check this last. Going for the easy stuff first. i think the previous owner may have dropped it once. Could that cause the chain to slip?
The thing is the mechanical part needs to be right, before you try the "easy stuff", you need to verify that valves are adjusted correctly and/or cam timing is right, maybe check compression, etc. Basic 101 troubleshooting. A extremely loose or tight valve is never a good sign.

There's just a handful of ways the cam timing or chain can slip, none normal, rotating crankshaft backwards or counterclockwise a lot, broken/failed cam chain tensioner, very loose/stretched chain or incorrectly installed cams.

The ignition/spark timing been mechanically off is really not possible with electronic ignition, unless a safety relay is acting up or coil/igniter is bad.

The idle is adjusted with large slotted screw, 1st loosen small locking screw, adjust and lock, counterclockwise raises idle and vice-versa. Do not mess with throttle stop screw.

· Registered
2003 Burgman AN400
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The thing is the mechanical part needs to be right, before you try the "easy stuff", you need to verify that valves are adjusted correctly and/or cam timing is right, maybe check compression, etc. Basic 101 troubleshooting. A extremely loose or tight valve is never a good sign.

There's just a handful of ways the cam timing or chain can slip, none normal, rotating crankshaft backwards or counterclockwise a lot, broken/failed cam chain tensioner, very loose/stretched chain or incorrectly installed cams.

The ignition/spark timing been mechanically off is really not possible with electronic ignition, unless a safety relay is acting up or coil/igniter is bad.

The idle is adjusted with large slotted screw, 1st loosen small locking screw, adjust and lock, counterclockwise raises idle and vice-versa. Do not mess with throttle stop screw.
You are right. Mechanical does need to be right. Let me look thru the manual. Thx for bringing me back to reality.lol

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,161 Posts
Most "normal" valve wear causes clearance reduction, I usually set screw adjusted valves to highest gap, but anything in the range is technically ok, if you find your valves to be mostly tight, a loose setting is probably best, always recheck after tightening nut, you'll get the feel after doing a few. Use a short box wrench to tighten nut, don't overdo it.

· Registered
1,622 Posts
For adjusting the valves. Is there a preference to what side in the range to adjust? I ordered a feeler gauge set.
Finally!!!

From July 2022....
The valve clearance check is a standard service item, not difficult, but overdue at 5500 miles if not been done by previous owner.
Exhaust clearances tend to tighten up.

AND...
If / when you do check them, follow the procedure to the letter. It is important to have the piston at top dead center, AND on the compression stroke. (Both valves should be slack). Section 2, Part 6, in the book.

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,161 Posts
Finally!!!

From July 2022....
I agree, and if the panels are removed, like shown in video on post #1, seems like it would take about 30min. to do it. Mitch's video is good, but a mechanic/technician, should always cover any opening on engine, like the intake port :rolleyes::whistle:
Don't rely solely on valves been loose to determine TDC between compression and power stroke, the valves might be too tight! Besides using the markings on generator, end of camshaft and piston up, also make sure that both cam lobes are positioned downwards/away from rocker arms. Alway turn engine C/C from variator side, never turn backwards.

(15) Valve Clearance on 03-06 Suzuki Burgman 400 | MicBergsma - YouTube

· Registered
2003 Burgman AN400
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Reporting back folks....
Went through procedure to adjust valves clearance. Exhaust valves seemed to be a bit tight when I checked with the thickness gauge. Anyhow, I reset the clearances to 0.005 for intake and 0.009 for exhaust. Unfortunately, I still have the same issue. Not as bad as in the video. I switched back to the old injector. When i
What should i check next? At this rate, I should have it up and running when the ice caps melt.
Video after adjustment.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts