Uh oh ...no more Hardley fun

2K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Wes_Ingram 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Meh

#4 · (Edited)
+1.

Have you seen the Isle of Man TT races with electric bikes? They're amazing. There's dozens of companies perfecting the electric bike formula, with experience in things like suspension, speed, cornering and well... Electricity. They've already shown their wares.

What are the odds HD is gonna get it right? And sell it? HD lovers aren't exactly known for their embrace of technology.

#3 ·
You sure that is a Harley, it doesn't look like one. It looks more like something KTM would build, or maybe Ducati. I mean it isn't a cruiser, I though Harley only made cruisers!?

I wonder what the price would be! $60K? Sorry if I sound like I don't like "the company" but I don't!

For those who want that stupid it "can't hardly idle" sound, mount an iPod and a speaker. Or maybe some cards in the spokes.

I will say that I actually like this thing, even if it is from HD. It looks cool and it has technology from this century, not from 1930.

#12 ·
You sure that is a Harley, it doesn't look like one. It looks more like something KTM would build, or maybe Ducati. I mean it isn't a cruiser, I though Harley only made cruisers!?
I think it's just like the Harley pickup truck addition, made by someone else with a Harley badge. :rolleyes:

What will the world sound like with no POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO ?
TheReaper!
They will probably have an optional MP3 player with the POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO stock and/or without baffles for the "loud pipes save lives" believers. :p

#7 ·
Why is it that all these new electric bikes are built on sport bike platforms ? My body just doesn't fit these platforms , to me they are like some medieval torture rack . That said they may be improving the batteries , but they still have to compete in the market place for customers . With the price of used bikes falling that is a real challenge for at least several years IMHO . Some thing like the above for 15 to 20K or a slightly used 650 Burg for 3 or 4K ?

Or 5 slightly used 650 Burgs or one new Harley electric for the same price ? :D

TheReaper!

#9 ·
What's the old auto racing adage? Win on Sunday, sell on Monday.

The only ones who are going to be dropping $60k or so on these things are rich gear heads interested in ultimate performance; nothing pulls like an electric motor. So, for now, they're all sport bikes. You're right, No ones gonna pay $30k or even 20k for an electric scooter.

I'd say 10-15 years from now the tech will get down to reasonable prices we can all afford. But for now, its the domain of rich gear heads and apparently, some dreamers at HD.

#11 ·
What will the world sound like with no POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO ?

Or what will it look like with a bunch of scooters on the side of the road with dead batteries ? :rolleyes:

Has any one thought about what would happen with all the bikes being electric ? What would all the mechanics do ? Any one with half a brain could install a new motor or battery . An electric motor shop could rewind one of those motors over and over again . The battery would be a simple R&R . And most importantly , WTF would we all talk about here if there were no more catastrophic CVT failures ?????? :D

TheReaper!

#14 ·
Idea for a TV series: Sons of Disruption: a gang of nerdy coders, (think the cast of Silicon Valley), riding electric Harleys, reduce a small town to hysterics in their attempts to get laid for the first time.

#18 · (Edited)
It's a Chinese designed motor, but shooooh because they won't buy it if they hear that, we got to keep them thinking it was built/designed in USA. Let's also keep quiet about camp Asia!

Next Time I meet a guy at the gas pump I'm going to ask: Is that one made in the USA or India???????????

#22 ·
Maybe some of you remember Bultaco from the 60's & 70's. They are back in business and will be offering two new bikes withing the next year: both will be electric.

#23 ·
And for those not in the know, Harley is making these bikes as demo bikes only. No plans at all to go into production with them at this time. They are being shown just so people can see that Harley can make a future type bike.
So no getting excited that you will be able to buy one of these, they are not for sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.