Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Into the sixth month of our RV Tour of the U.S. now.

Had the 7,500 mile service done by Mr. Motorcycle in El Paso, TX about 2 weeks ago. Meandered over to San Antonio via Fredericksburg after putting about 50 miles on the scooter in the El Paso area.

Upon arrival in San Antonio I got it off the motorhome and took it for a quick 50 mile ride. About 45 miles into the ride I heard a very loud screech (sounded like a bearing going out) coming from it on the freeway. Got off onto surface streets as soon as I could but noticed growling/rattling sounds when I slowed down. When I stopped, the engine sounded normal at idle so I limped back to the RV park. Each acceleration and deceleration was accompanied by lots of new sounds I've never heard before.

Checked all the fluids and looked for loose fasteners but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Loaded it on a rental trailer yesterday and delivered it to a local Suzuki dealership for diagnosis/repair. Waiting for a call to let me know what they've found. Hope it's nothing serious but if it is, I hope the extended warranty will cover it.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
355 Posts
My prayers are with you!

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
YIKES!

Fingers crossed here buddy!

Let us know what the deal is asap!

Pete

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thank God you were safe. I'm sure you'll be back up and running in no time.

-Willy

2005 Blue Yamaha Majesty

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yikes! Sounds like the tranny went belly up. This would be the first I've heard of any major tranny problems with a 650 (if that's what it is...) Be sure to post back and let us know how it goes... and glad to hear it was a 'fail-soft', rather than just locking up and throwing you off or something!

WLB :>)

·
Registered
969 Posts
OUCH! :shock:

I can't wait to hear the diagnosis.

Steve

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
Might be wheel bearings? They are a known weak point of the AN650.
Sounds like it (no pun intended). Since the bike sounded fine when it wasn't moving I'd bet on wheel bearings, although a problem in the drive train (which would be disengaged at idle) would be a distant second guess.

Actually, now that I think about it, this close to the 7,500 mile service maybe the technician didn't put the correct -- or correct amount of -- final gear oil in it after draining it. I hope that's not it.

Glad you're okay, Dan, and I hope you get the matter resolved quickly, and to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still no diagnosis

Thanks all who responded to my original post.

Don't know who put the link to an extended warranty page in my post but I've edited it out. I have the Suzuki Extended Warranty, not a second party version.

No word yet on what the problem is although I strongly suspect wheel bearings. Will keep you all posted.

Regards,

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I hope it's just the wheel bearings...btw - reminds me to ask - is the difference between the extended warranties based on whether you get the warranty prior to leaving the showroom (suzuki warranty) vs buying the warranty after youve had it for a while (third party)? tia - pete

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pete said:
is the difference between the extended warranties based on whether you get the warranty prior to leaving the showroom (suzuki warranty) vs buying the warranty after youve had it for a while (third party)? tia - pete
I don't know what the distinction is. I had the Suzuki warranty transferred to my name when I bought the 650 from the original owner. I suspect you can still purchase the manufacturer's extended warranty after the sale as long as you're still in the standard warranty period and you've had all required service completed on time and documented.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Dan,

Hope the dealer is able to give ya some good news real soon. Keep us up to date on the progress.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Pete said:
...is the difference between the extended warranties based on whether you get the warranty prior to leaving the showroom (suzuki warranty) vs buying the warranty after youve had it for a while (third party)? tia - pete
I just got a reminder from Suzuki that my original warranty is about to expire, and offering me the Suzuki extended warranty.

Third party service plans are like other forms of insurance, in that what you pay varies by company and by what's covered. With some of them, you can buy policies at any time, regardless of mileage or age, although premiums will be higher on older bikes. It's a lot like life insurance.

AFAIK, the Suzuki plan is only available if the original warranty is still in force, which is why it's considered an "extended" warranty and not a service plan.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Still no diagnosis

dancote said:
...Don't know who put the link to an extended warranty page in my post but I've edited it out. ...
That's very suspicious. Only you or a moderator should be able to put links in your posts.

Do we have a hacker in our midsts? A service plan salesman, maybe?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Brian said:
dancote said:
...Don't know who put the link to an extended warranty page in my post but I've edited it out. ...
That's very suspicious. Only you or a moderator should be able to put links in your posts.

Don't look at me :shock: It wasn't me.

Brian is right though. Only yourself ,moderator or administrator can edit your posts.

·
Registered
83 Posts

allwalk said:
Brian said:
dancote said:

Don't look at me :shock: It wasn't me.

Brian is right though. Only yourself ,moderator or administrator can edit your posts.
I think he was bitten by Hyperlinker. Dan should probably follow the cleanup procedures listed. My hunch is every time "extended warranty" shows up in a post, he gets a link to a search page on serverlogic3.com. Not nice.

Not to mention, the lousy software (according to that page above) installs an HTML filter. It's got to be seriously slowing down the viewing of all web content if it's going through every page trying to match its keywords.

Greg

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I agree with Greg. It was either hyperlinker or another adware. I've edited out the linking info from the origional post. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
You're a good man Bill.

Dirty rotten scrumbums. :evil:

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
fish - it is a snap of that kooky brit (I think) who "flew" across the english channel about a year ago in a "deployable-wings-witha-parachute" deal. It was an astonishing feat.

****. ****. Hell~! :twisted:

Hey - I am a former USN Sailor! Gotta watch meself!

OH Pookie! There I go again DALGARNIT! 8)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts