Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While stopping to get gas, I dropped a baggie (containing a small funnel, for adding oil on my road trip) onto the HOT EXHAUST CAN.

It burned, sizzled, melted. :angryfire:

I pulled the ruined funnel off, and figured that the baggie remnants would burn away in the next 700 miles. NOT!

Well, there is now a glob of some extra-terrrestrial goop there, baked on. About 2 by 4 inches.

If anyone has ideas, on how to remove it, without scarring the muffler finish, please forward. Thanx

·
Registered
412 Posts
Oven cleaner will remove it from chrome pipes without damaging the finish, not sure about painted surfaces.

·
Premium Member
8,145 Posts
just tell everyone it's the remains of the last crotch rocket you smoked in the twisties

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I just Googled that for you.AND from many different websites too....!! It seems that the consensus is - TO USE ACETONE ON A RAG AND KEEP RUBBING LIKE HELL!!
Ether that OR..........ZYLOL solvent available at Lowes - Home Depot or a hardware store......... Good luck :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wouldn't acetone take off the paint too?
Especially if rubbing like hell...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
RashaMatt said:
WHAT PAINT.........?????????? :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
mikeyMarine said:
just tell everyone it's the remains of the last crotch rocket you smoked in the twisties
I needed to see this today - I so agree! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
v8eyedoc said:
RashaMatt said:
WHAT PAINT.........?????????? :!: :!: :!:
I was assuming that matte black coating on the muffler was paint... Certainly doesn't look like bare metal to me.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While the bike was hot, I delicately used a putty knife, that easily took off most of the glop, which was in a softened state (but still wouldn't burn away, go figure).
Just some remnants wouldn't come off.
Will try carb cleaner, WD-40, probably not brake cleaner as it might take off the matte black finish.
Oh well :roll:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
mike1nw said:
While the bike was hot, I delicately used a putty knife, that easily took off most of the glop, which was in a softened state (but still wouldn't burn away, go figure).
Just some remnants wouldn't come off.
Will try carb cleaner, WD-40, probably not brake cleaner as it might take off the matte black finish.
Oh well :roll:
Hi Mike......!! I do believe that the muffler can is made of aluminum with an anodized finish which is pretty **** tough....!! Why don't you try one of your wife's dishwashing "scrubbies" for cleaning a teflon pan.???

·
Registered
316 Posts
The oven cleaner trick works great on chrome and bare stainless. I'd be reluctant to try it on that black finish for fear of taking it off but if you could try it on an unnoticed area first it might be worth a try. Otherwise getting it hot and the putty knife is a good thought, just that it probably won't get it all off. I think you need some kind of chemical that you can use when the pipe is hot to really get it all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
FWIW, 3500 miles later, most of the plastic has burned off my muffler.

OTOH the custom holes in my fancy rainpants are still there :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts