Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2012 Burgman 400, new, in Oct. 2013.

Mistake one: I didn't get the extended warranty.

A couple of months after I picked it up, occasionally, it would cut out when stopping, like at a traffic stop. It always started right up again and didn't happen often. Additionally, the dealer that I got the bike from is about 30 miles away and it's my wife's and my only transportation.

Mistake two: Didn't take it to the dealer for diagnosis.

Within the last month or so, however, it would occasionally not start. It would, however start after being off for awhile. Thinking that maybe the battery I got with the bike was no good because it had been sitting at the dealership for a year, I replaced the battery. The issue persisted. I knew that I had to get it fixed, but it's tough since it's our only transportation and I use it for work. I started using a battery tender. One time, I got stuck and since I didn't know when it would "recover", I decided to get a jump from roadside service.

Mistake three: Don't jump start your Burgman using a car battery!

Still, most of the time, the bike started right up without hesitation and ran like a champ. Until two days ago.

I rode the bike for about 25 miles (to get to a funeral!) and when I got off the freeway, it died. I pushed it out of traffic and called someone to pick me up, figuring I deal with it after. When I got back to the bike, I geared up in case it started, which it did. But once I got back on the freeway to go home, it had very little power. The dashboard and displays blinking and the needles bouncing all over. I carefully nursed it of the freeway, but I was still far from home.

There was a motorcycle shop near where I got off the freeway. Although I'd never had the bike serviced there, I had chatted with the guy who runs the place at a social event. We knew many of the same people and remember thinking that if I lived closer, I would totally take my bike there for service. Well, now I was there. I pushed the bike to the shop and Ubered it home.

Yesterday, he guy calls me up with an estimate: Stator Assembly - $413.71, Regulator/Rectifier - $220.59, Labor - $90. With tax, $1099.55. Merry Christmas! Still, those prices seem reasonable, especially the labor.

In talking to the dealer and the mechanic, I may have some idea of what happened. I think that the regulator/rectifier had a problem from the beginning and if that were the case, it might explain why Suzuki would want to replace that part. If there was a recall, I wasn't notified of it.

The electrical issues caused the battery to discharge whenever the bike was running, at least that what I can figure out by researching posts on this forum. Heck, the battery tender was probably killing it softly as well. You guys will know much more about this than I do.

But that jumpstart was probably the knife through the heart for the R/R and stator.

But the happy ending is...oh wait, there is no happy ending.

Today, the mechanic calls and tells me that the Regulator/Rectifier (32800-05H20) is on backorder and there are NONE in the United States. Why? Maybe it's because Suzuki has replaced that part with a newer version.

The dealer is going to try to get Suzuki to cover the cost of the R/R. It's going to be too much cost and hassle to try to get the bike the 45 miles from the mechanic to the dealership, so it's going to stay with the mechanic. Fortunately, we had enough money to cover it, but there's not much left over, so we'll be having a suddenly slim Christmas.

On the other hand, this year, my first year on any kind of motorcycle, I rode (with my wife on the back 25% of the time) 15,000 miles without an accident. And, riding it makes me smile, so there's that.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Jump started mines with Car Battery before,Lots of times, No Problem, even use a Heavy Duty Charger with 10 -20 Amp Jump Assistant, Or Engine Start, it may just been a bad Stater or Parts,

Seems like the New Stuff is Cheaper Made...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Wow, so sorry Tony, electrical stuff is just the pits. My 650 was down for a month before I figured out a varmint had chewed through some wiring.

Try eBay, I had a throttle body that needed replacement a couple years ago and got a replacement part for $75 instead of the $600 new that wasn't available anyway.

Or maybe theReaper on this site has something. Although I think he specialized in the 650.

Good luck man. Hope to see you riding soon. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I found this:

http://edwardsmotorcyclelaw.com/suzuki-recall-11v108000/

"Suzuki is recalling certain model year 2008 through 2010 motorcycles manufactured from July 2007 through September 2009, equipped with regulator/rectifier assemblies, Suzuki part numbers 32800-41F11, 32800-15H10, 32800-05H11, 32800-41G10, 32800-15H00, 32800-18H00, 32800-05G10, 32800-10G10, 32800-05H20, or 32800-06G01.

Some regulator/rectifier assemblies were produced with insufficient adhesion between the power module (circuit board) and the rectifier case that contains a heat sink to dissipate heat. Due to insufficient adhesion, heat generated on the power module circuit board can cause the circuit board to deform, and lift off the case.

Consequence Summary

This condition causes excessive heat on the circuit board and uncontrolled electric current output, which can result in insufficient charging current being provided to the motorcycle battery. This can cause discharge of the battery and can lead to engine stalling and/or a no-start condition. Engine stalling while riding can increase the risk of a crash.

Corrective Summary

Suzuki will notify owners and Suzuki distributors will replace the regulator/rectifier with an improved part free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on or about March 2, 2011. Owners may contact Suzuki at 1-714-996-7040."

I wonder how a part that was supposed to be from a 2007 -2009 end up in a 2012?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know the part number for a 2012 AN400 regulator/rectifier assembly? Because if it's not 32800-05H20, then I was sold a 2012 Burgman with a 2007-2009 defective and recalled part, no?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I doubt it was a recalled part.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Gio, the model number is AN400AL2.

I'm not sure what Suzuki did here. Bolzen, the part is indeed a recalled part. The "Rectifier Assembly", part number, 32800-05H20, is one of the parts listed in the recall. If you read the Consequence Summary...

"This condition causes excessive heat on the circuit board and uncontrolled electric current output, which can result in insufficient charging current being provided to the motorcycle battery. This can cause discharge of the battery and can lead to engine stalling and/or a no-start condition. Engine stalling while riding can increase the risk of a crash."

...it describes to a tee the issues I was having with the bike, right down to the engine stalling out on the 405 freeway, which, according to Wikipedia is the the busiest and most congested freeway in the United States.

So, it seems like Suzuki recalled some motorcycles that had that exact same part in them, but continued to use the part for Burgman 400 up until at least 2012.

I called the dealer back today. Previously, he said that he was going to try to get Suzuki to cover the price of the rectifier assembly. But after mentioning the "R" word, he said that he was going to try to get them to cover both parts and labor for the shop were the bike is now. So we'll just wait and see.

·
Registered
345 Posts
WOW, that's depressing to hear about your problem at hand. I hope Suzuki does the right thing and cover the part and labor. I went ahead and checked for that recalled PN for my 400, and it looks like Suzuki is using Rectifier w/ PN 32800-47H50 on 2013 400.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If I was a betting man, I would think that the dealership pulled the regulator/rectifier on your 2012 and put it in another customers bike for the recall and then forgot to put the new one in the bike when it came in (all before you bought the bike as new). It would be easy for this to happen as most dealerships have trouble even keeping track of the keys to the bikes on the floor. Amazing until you think of what the qualifications for the sales positions are and what they pay those poor souls. The sales people around here can't even afford to buy a used motorcycle let alone one of those shiny new ones they are trying to sell.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is the dealer you have it at a Suzuki dealer? Don't you think you should talk to dealer you purchased new from about a year ago and see if he wont do something for you...Suzuki should cover it. Jump start had nothing to do w/ it if done correctly but I wouldn't say much abut it either.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey DougInKy, I initially though that the dealer had pulled a switcheroo as well. But, I checked my repair manual and the recalled 32800-05H20 part is listed. So, it appears that Suzuki recalled the part, but not for the Burgmans.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Here in the Uk the faulty rectifiers were replaced mostly before the dealers got the bikes by Suzuki GB. It affected quite a few Suzuki models including my Vstrom 1000 and my Burgman 400. All were sorted out free of charge by Suzuki. Front brake light switches were also affected on the Burgmans 2012 models of both flavours...ie: 400 and 650's. Again fixed free of charge.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Glad I saw this...I think I need to call a dealer with my VIN and check for recalls on my 2012!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
According to the fiche I've looked at (just google burgman 400 parts fiche) the 2011 rectifier part number is 32800-05H20. From Suzuki's description of the failure mode it sounds like a manufacturing QC issue which may not cause a new part number for a fix. More likely ist would traked by manufacturing date or lot number.

I have a 2011 with, presumably, the same part number (32800-05H20) that has not offered any troubles in 52K miles. But I might simply have won the assembly lotto and gotten a unit with sufficient heat sink adhesive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry about your electrical problems - real bummer. Purchased new, I ride a
2007 Burgman 400AN. Just before I picked up the new scoot, the dealer performed
a recall swap out on the instrument cluster. Since then, I have logged 39,000
miles with out a problem. I have maintained it well spending a bunch with my
local dealer. The only real defect in my model involved having to replace the
exhaust gasket between the front and rear pipe. I have blown it out twice.
Not bad, $15 part. The dealer was aware of this minor defect from service memos.

So, I have been lucky with Suzuki.

Bob Copeland

·
Registered
23 Posts
After - Thought "Servicing your Scooter"

There seems to be a real quality swing between different service departments.
Finding a good one could be difficult. At $80 an hour for labor, doing the right thing
is costly. Most of gang in my scooter group have some mechanical ability. I have
no such skill set. It is best that I touch nothing. My dealer has been pricey for
service, but, has served me well. Most riders will tell you following the service
manual is over kill. So over kill is what I have done.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
A quick update: The scooter is still at the mechanic's shop as it has been since it failed on Dec. 17. The stator has been ordered by him and I assume he has received it by now, but there's no need to start without the rectifier/regulator. That part has been ordered by the dealer (and paid for by me) and is on backorder because it's coming from Canada (?) They are estimating arrival the first week in January. It is a different part number, but I'm not sure if it's the 32800-47H50 that Jedd mentioned. As I said, the 400 is our only transportation, so it's been kind of a drag to not have it for the holidays.

Right now, I'm withholding the name of the dealer until I find out if they and/or Suzuki will...rectify...this issue. I have high confidence that the mechanic will get the job done.

In the meantime, a Happy New Year to all y'all!

·
Registered
66 Posts
If a non Suzuki mechanic is to install this, I can almost assure you Suzuki wont pay for it. Did you not take it to a Suzuki dealer to do the entire thing or did I misread?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Westnash, yeah, I would have liked to have taken this to the Suzuki dealer that I bought it from. Perhaps an introduction to the players are in order.

First, there is the dealer where I bought the bike in Oct. 2012. They are in Simi Valley, 28 miles from my house. I bought the bike there because the guy who sold it to me is a relative of a friend, but I hadn't planned to take the bike there for service because they are so far away and the Burgie is my only transportation.

Then, there is my local Suzuki dealer, one mile away. It's a big dealership. When I was looking at buying the Burgman, These guys told me that they had the bike I wanted, only to pull a bait-and-switch when I got there. Since getting the bike, I've learned that they overcharge on a bunch of stuff. I just don't trust them.

My preferred dealer, Suzuki of Van Nuys, is about 10 miles away. This is a small dealership consisting of the owner, his wife and one mechanic. This dealership did my first service visit while I waited, got me a killer price on an AF 266 windshield and even told me about the Suzuki $100 new bike rebate. The place where I bought it didn't tell me about it. I trust these guys.

Lastly, there is the mechanic's shop, MetrikMoto. As is said before, I had social contact with these guys and had heard good things about their work (nothing but 5-stars on Yelp) and would have felt comfortable with taking my scooter there for stuff like tires installs and such, but they are 20 miles away.

When my bike started displaying the no-start/start behaviors, I wanted to take it to Van Nuys to have them look at it, but because they only have one mechanic, it takes longer to get more involved repairs done, so I wanted to schedule a time to take to them. Before this, it had never cut-out while running.

So, when the bike lost power on the freeway, the nearest off-ramp was two blocks from MetrikMoto. I pushed the bike to them and they did the stator/rectifier-regulator diagnosis. They were the ones who told me that the R/R was backordered.

When I called the original dealer, I asked him if it would help matters (in terms of Suzuki covering the parts/labor) if I had the bike transported to Simi Valley (38 miles, but I have roadside assistance), but he was the one who said that it would be better to just leave the bike MetrikMoto. I sure hope that he wasn't setting me up to have Suzuki not pay for this.

In any case, the dealer in Simi Valley says that Suzuki will not reimburse until the repair is complete and paid for by me. I would assume that they want to examine the bike, maybe get the failed parts and determine if the new parts that were installed correctly.

I would really like to know if, and how many other 2011-2012 400's have this same issue?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts