Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,471 Posts
rematt said:
My 08 Burgman 650 with only 4750 miles died while driving. I replaced the battery and 2 days later it died again. How do I know its the stator/magneto? If so, how hard are they to change on my own? Thanks for any advice.

Marcus
Virginia
If you have a multi meter you can test the stator. First thing to do is to test the charging voltage at the battery. Start the engine and attach the meter to the battery on the voltage scale. Rev the engine to 5,000 rpm. You should see the voltage go to 14.5+ volts DC. If not you may have a stator problem. To test it you will need to pull the left rear side panel off. That is the panel that the gas filler goes through. Behind it you will find the rectifier/regulator and the plugs that go to the stator.

To test the stator unplug the large white plug that has three heavy wire going to and from it. Put the mutli meter on the ohm setting and check the resistance between the three prongs on the male side of the connector that has wire going to the left toward the front of the bike. You should see between 0.1 and 1 on the meter between any two of the three pins. Check all the different combinations of the three pins. If that checks out good then start the bike and check AC voltage between all the different combinations of the three pins. You should see 50+ volts between any two pins with the engine at 5000 rpm.

If the stator test out good then you probably should test the regulator/rectifier. For that matter if the stator test out bad you probably should test it too as a bad one can kill the stator. You also test it with the mutimeter but the test data is a lttle more difficult to list here as you are looking at readings across different combinations of 5 pins. If you have a service manual there is a diagram in it that shows what the readings should be for each combination.

The stator is not difficult to change but you will need a couple of special tools. You will need a tool to hold the rotor to keep it from turning and you will need a M20 X 1.5 bolt to act as a puller to get the rotor off the bike. To gain access to the cover over the magneto you will have to remove the bodywork that covers the tunnel area. With the body work out of the way it only takes about 20 minutes to remove the magneto cover and pull the stator.

Drain the oil from the engine before you start.

Remove the dozen or so bolts that hold the magneto cover on and separate it from the side of the crankcase. Remove the bolt that attaches the rotor to the end of the crank shaft. Two ways to do this. You can hold the rotor with the special tool and remove the bolt with a wrench. The quicker way is to use an impact wrench if you have on and just back the bolt off. Screw the M20 bolt into the hole that the attachment bolt came out of and as it goes in it forces the rotor off the end of the crankshaft. Again you will have to keep the rotor from turning with the special tool while you screw the M20 bolt in. Once your rotor comes loose from the end of the crank you just pull it straight off the stator. It take a little force to get it to come off as you are working against the permanent magnet in the rotor that is trying to pull it back onto the stator. With the rotor off you just remove the 4 bolts that attach the stator and the 2 bolts that attach the sensor and remove the stator. You will also have to take loose the clamps that hold the wiring along the frame up to the plug. Installation is the reverse. Align the key on the crank with the keyway on the rotor and press it on with the attachment bolt. The bolt torques to 115 ft lb. Use a new gasket on the magneto cover and be sure to refill the bike with oil before you start it.

I'm in the process of changing my stator out right now. A new one is pricey, between $450 and $500 depending on where you buy it. I've found a place that will rebuild them for $250. You send the stator to them and they rebuild it send it back. I've sent my stator off to them. They say the turnaround is 7 to 10 work days after they receive the stator. The shippers say mine should arrive at their shop on 5/28 so I expect to get it back probably the week of 6/10. I could get a new one quicker but for the $200+ dollar difference I can stand to wait. That I can't ride right now because of a bum leg does figure into that decision too :wink: . The name of the place is Rick's Motorsport Electrics, Inc. and their web site is http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/aftermarket-stators .

Reactions: milburg66

·
Premium Member
14,471 Posts
A quick followup on my stator. I got the rebuilt unit back and installed it. Installation went as easy as it sounds in the above description. The work on the rebuilt stator looked to be well done. After installation I checked the AC voltage output and I am getting 82 volts AC. At the battery I am getting 14.8 volts DC. All in all I think it was a good $250 investment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah Craig thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I've been diagnosed with a bad stator & reg/rect, so have ordered same from Ricks. Shop wants $1500 to repair, Ha, yeah right..........
My mileage btw is 41,500. (An650, 08 model)

·
Registered
577 Posts
I had a KZ1300 with a stator that fried. They wanted $450.00 a long time ago. I went to the local electric motor repair place & bought high heat Nomex magnet wire of the proper size. I sat down on my front porch & rewound the thing. Worked like a charm.

·
Administrator
23,275 Posts
I had a KZ1300 with a stator that fried. They wanted $450.00 a long time ago. I went to the local electric motor repair place & bought high heat Nomex magnet wire of the proper size. I sat down on my front porch & rewound the thing. Worked like a charm.
I have a friend that rewinds generators and he could do this for about $40 and a half rack of Bud.
He'd get drunk and I'd end up shooting darts with him and win back $80, so NOT A BAD DEAL FOR ME. :devil

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I could have shipped you the parts out of a low mile 06 for $150.00 and that includes the shipping .

TheReaper!

Yeah Craig thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I've been diagnosed with a bad stator & reg/rect, so have ordered same from Ricks. Shop wants $1500 to repair, Ha, yeah right..........
My mileage btw is 41,500. (An650, 08 model)

Reactions: milburg66
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.