Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I sold a set of 650 shocks to fellow inmate Freddy Cook of Tennessee , shipped U.S. mail in one of those one price boxes . According to the tracking # at the time they just vanished along the way . We waited a few weeks and I refunded Freddy’s money , I tried to refund it earlier but he wouldn’t let me . Because I didn’t insure them I got $50 from the post office .

Last week I got some more shocks and contacted Freddy to see if he still needed them , he did so I sent him another set U.S. Postal Service . This time I insured them just in case , take a wild guess what happened 2 days later ? This is what happened according to the tracking .

Dead Mail / Sent to Mail Recovery Center

Your item could not be delivered or returned to the sender. It is being forwarded to a USPS mail recovery center where it will be processed.:banghead:

So today I shipped set #3 to Freddy , but this time through FEDEX .

What are the odds ? TheReaper!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Interesting but i heard indeed earlier that postal services would be eliminated altogether in favor of couriers. I think Fedex will deliver the package, but it's sad news about USPS. I never use other carrier if the service is available, same with Canada Post. Such a nice service it has always been.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
So Reaper did they reimburse you and/or explain why they could not be delivered or returned to you?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Reaper did they reimburse you and/or explain why they could not be delivered or returned to you?
Not yet , I filed a claim and it usually takes about a month . They don't have an argument , they are the ones who said they are no longer deliverable (whatever that means?) . Plus I paid to insure the delivery . So far I'm out 3 sets of shocks .

I have a FEDEX account so from now on it's FEDEX 100% , the post office
has worn out their welcome with me . This is NOT my first problem with them .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's very sad that the USPS can't get their act together. I live in rural Pennsylvania and the delivery people are just great - very cordial and helpful. I put a letter in my mailbox with the flag up but forgot to put stamp on it. Our postman put a stamp on it and left me a note. I put her money in my mailbox the next day. The story of the shocks doesn't surprise me though. Especially in more urban areas.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This may not be the case, but it could just be that the shocks violate what can be shipped via USPS Priority. Priority Mail has restrictions because it all must be able to be carried inside airplanes. So you can't ship explosives, flammable liquids, or hazardous materials using it. One could argue that a metal cylinder (your shock absorber) full of either a flammable liquid (hydraulic fluid) or possibly pressurized gas (explosive) violates the terms of that explicit agreement. If this is the case, you should be able to send it parcel post without issue. It might not hurt to stick an ORM-D sticker on the outside to indicate to the carrier that the contents contain something potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This may not be the case, but it could just be that the shocks violate what can be shipped via USPS Priority. Priority Mail has restrictions because it all must be able to be carried inside airplanes. So you can't ship explosives, flammable liquids, or hazardous materials using it. One could argue that a metal cylinder (your shock absorber) full of either a flammable liquid (hydraulic fluid) or possibly pressurized gas (explosive) violates the terms of that explicit agreement. If this is the case, you should be able to send it parcel post without issue. It might not hurt to stick an ORM-D sticker on the outside to indicate to the carrier that the contents contain something potentially dangerous.

I've shipped them before to other parts of the country in the same one price box with no problems .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Good luck with you switch to FedEx. My experience has been that I have never had anything shipped to me by USPS get lost. I've had several things shipped to me via UPS or FedEx get lost.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Take note that in some areas FedEx will ship packages
to one of their central hubs, then transfer the package
to USPS for final delivery. :(

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck with you switch to FedEx. My experience has been that I have never had anything shipped to me by USPS get lost. I've had several things shipped to me via UPS or FedEx get lost.

I've been shipping with both and to date and have only had problems with the Post office . I've probably shipped well over 100 packages this year with FEDEX with out one problem . Lately I've been shipping about 90% with FEDEX , except when the item is heavy and fits in a U.S. Post one price box . Another thing when you have an account with FEDEX you get a pretty good discount , you print the labels at home then just drop them off at FEDEX . Then they automatically charge it to my credit card no muss no fuss .

All that said some areas of the country are better than others , be it any delivery system I understand that . Here in this area FEDEX is much better . How on earth they damaged two shipments to the same guy is beyond me , I used their boxes and properly packed them myself . I'm now on my 3rd set of shocks to one guy , that's just crazy .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Over the years I have shipped literally 100s of packages via USPS Priority Mail, but never (not yet anyway) had a problem with any.

FedEx and UPS both have "last mile" partnerships with USPS, in which the final delivery to residential (mostly) addresses is done by USPS...

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
My problem with USPS isn't with shipping it's with receiving. As I live on a dirt road if the packages is too big for my mail box they leave me a slip & I have to drive twelve miles to the Post Office & pick it up. :( Now if its from Amazon no problem they come & leave it on the front step. If it's Rx they also will drive it to my house. Oh my dirt road is about 100 yards long from the mail box. Now if I had a RR address they would deliver.
UPS & Fedex has no problem driving on my road & delivering to my home.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have had similar experiences. Never had an issue with USPS but both FedEx and especially UPS gave me multiple problems, more damage during shipping than loss but still.

·
Registered
704 Posts
A little over 4 years ago my wife and I made a trip out west. On our return coming thru Minnesota we lost a wheel bearing taking out the hub also on our 5th wheel rv. We ordered new parts to be shipped overnite via FedEx. Three days later they finally arrived.... in Murfreesboro, TN. By then we found a local farm shop who rebuilt the hub and Auto store for the bearing and were nearly home.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got a call from Freddy Cook , he got the shocks today and they were in perfect condition . It took 48 hours to get them there through FEDEX , the Post Office NEVER !

Score FEDEX 1
Score Post Office -2

If I ever ship any thing with the post office again I will pay the extra insurance that's for sure

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I live in the sticks and I have never had any problem with any delivery service. However, a lot of stuff shipped to me through Fed-Ex or UPS is delivered by my USPS delivery lady. Regardless of who makes the delivery, I find the item on my porch. My porch is about 300' from the road.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
It might be interesting to know that UPS and FEDEX uses the USPS to deliver some of there packages.

It is not obvious but it does happen

You pay a premium for FedEx and UPS (over usps)

But the USPS delivers them for pennies on the dollar

(Retired Letter Carrier)

·
Registered
345 Posts
For the past 4 yrs, I've always relied on UPS or Fedex for one simple reason. They deliver on time. This christmas, I noticed that USPS Priority Mail undercut UPS/FEDX ground by as much as 40% on shipments one or two states away. So knowing that UPS/FEDEX can deliver a pkg w/in my state in one day, surely USPS can do the same. Nope, the priority mail pkg I sent to someone in my state took USPS 5 working days! So instead of getting the pkg between Dec,26-30, they got it after New yr. This is Priority mail 2-3 day, too.

Nope, not worth the 40% savings if they can't be consistent.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts