Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all you 650 owners.What tyre pressures do you run at riding solo. Iwas just thinking that there might be a better setting than Susuki's.

Paul

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Suzuki recommends 33 psi front, and 36 psi rear solo / 41 psi rear with a passenger.

I was running 31 psi front and 36 psi rear, since I've been riding solo almost all the time.

My front tire is holding up fine, but my rear tire wore out at 5300 miles. Several folks have said that they get better tire wear using the higher pressure setting. So, with the new rear tire I am running it at 41 psi - I'm leaving the front at 33 psi.

It is important to check tire pressure at least weekly. With variances in outside temperature, tires pressures can be effected. And, of course, tire pressure should be checked when the tires are cold - before riding. An electric air pump is a worthwhile investment so that you don't have to ride to a station to adjust pressure. If you don't have anywhere to plug in an electric pump, try to use a station within 3 miles of where you keep the scoot. There are also cannister type devices. (You take them to a station occasionally and charge the tank with air.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pauljo:

I've been plugging my electric tire pump into my VW Passat, which is parked two feet from the Burgie.

Just wondered: Can I plug it into the Burgie's cigarette lighter sized power take off in its glove compartment?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ted White said:
Pauljo:

I've been plugging my electric tire pump into my VW Passat, which is parked two feet from the Burgie.

Just wondered: Can I plug it into the Burgie's cigarette lighter sized power take off in its glove compartment?
Yes you can, but the scooter should be running. The accessory plug only works with the ignition on (at least on my 650). So the combined drain of headlights, taillights, fuel pump, ignition, etc in addition to the draw of the air pump - lead me to believe that you're much better off with the engine running & the battery being charged. Of course you'd want to set the hand brake to keep that rear wheel from spinning...

I have a direct lead coming off of the battery, with the plug sticking out under the seat. I use it for my electrically heated vest and gloves, my Battery Tender Jr charger, and my air pump. It is live all the time, since it is wired straight to the battery terminals. If I'm only adjusting pressure up a pound or two, I don't bother starting the engine.

Two minor problems. All of these devices use different plug types. A couple of inexpensive plug converters solved that one. Then, some of these devices use a very low rated blade fuse (Battery tender is only 3 amp fuse - but the electric clothing draws 15 amps). So, obviously I had to ensure that the blade fuse in the battery hookup was 15 amps (or whatever is required by the device that draws the most current).

I like that setup, so I never use the glovebox accessory plug.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i have 40psi in both tires at all times. odo is at 7200 miles and still have half of the back tire left and the front tire looks barely used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts