Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mentioned this product in other threads. But in the interests of visibility in the forum I park this in the safety section.

I have no connection other than as a satisfied consumer.

http://www.motrax.co.uk/Index_pages/accessories/easycontrol.htm

Maybe someone could update this with a North American supplier in due course.

Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
I need 10 of them.
Need a state side supplier.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a great deal on offer from Garage Toys - much much cheaper than UK!! :cry:

I only use them on the bike - my logic is that the tyre pressure is more critical on a 2 wheel machine and I want to know the pressure before I ride and at every stop!

Whereas with the cars I just check 'em weekly the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Don't take this for gospel, but I read somewhere (might have been on the Guzzi Forum) that the use of these gadgets could be hazardous to your health when used on a bike. If one fails...apparently some had....then you lose air in the tire. Could get downright exciting before you realize it.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ted clement said:
Don't take this for gospel, but I read somewhere (might have been on the Guzzi Forum) that the use of these gadgets could be hazardous to your health when used on a bike. If one fails...apparently some had....then you lose air in the tire. Could get downright exciting before you realize it.
Ted

For obvious reasons I would like to know more.

Spent a few hours doing general searches on the net and specific ones on a few Guzzi forums but I ain't turned any thing up yet.

Appreciate any pointers like a specific forum I could concentrate on.

:sad5:

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
NormanB said:
For obvious reasons I would like to know more.
Norman, about 6 years ago a friend and I were touring on the Blue Ridge Parkway when the rear tire on his Yamaha Venture lost air pressure because of a similar type of valve cap. He noticed the bike starting to act a little "squirrely" and thought it was the road surface. After a while he contacted me on the CB radio and asked if I was having any problems. When I told him I didn't notice anything, we pulled over at the next pull-off and found his tire almost flat. The tire had lost almost all of it's air in probably 20 miles of riding.
Luckily, we had a fellow towing a camper stop to help. He did have an air compressor and we inflated the tire and got off at the next exit to find a M/C dealer to check the tire. In the half hour it took us to get to a shop, the tire was again almost flat.
The mechanic checked the tire for leaks but couldn'y find any problems until he noticed the valve cap. He said he had other customers who had them leak and cause flats so he recommended removing them. We took them off, inflated the tire, put on standard valve caps and rode the 150 miles or so home with no problems (but we checked them about every 25 miles just in case). He traded the Yamaha about 18 months later without any further tire problems.
Needless to say, as convenient as these new valve caps are, I wouldn't trust them on a bike. I don't know what brand my buddie's caps were. They may have improved the design/construction since then but myself, I wouldn't use them. :D
Don

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don

Thanks for that.

That is a worrying tale and I have thought long and hard about this since reading it.

On balance, I am going to keep 'em on. My logic is this:

1. They tell me at a glance if my tyre pressures are going south.
2. There is no way I would check my tyre pressures as often as I check these indicators.
3. Punctures are more common if tyres are under inflated.
4. So, in these terms it is sort of fail safe - because at least I do not set out or continue a trip with sub optimal pressures.
5. The risk of a fault in the indicator causing loss of pressure (even catastrophic) is probably about the same (or less) as picking up a severe puncture.
6. If the cap fails en route and there is no other tyre damage then removal of duff indicator and re-inflate tyre and the journey can be resumed.

But thanks for the info anyway. :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm following this threat very intently as I’ve been looking into these devices for a while.

Does anyone have any experience with them over a decent amount of time?

I agree that having the device allows me to check pressures literally every ride as I do not check them currently more than once a week at best.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You're better off buying a decent tire gauge with a flexible hose. It takes about 2 minutes to check tire pressure and another couple of minutes to put in air. I use a simple bicycle pump to add the couple of psi lost.

Check out the Accu-Gage at http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store (then select Tire Tools and Things). Make sure you get the flexible hose that makes checking pressure a snap.

-DC

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
30MuleTeam said:
You're better off buying a decent tire gauge with a flexible hose. It takes about 2 minutes to check tire pressure and another couple of minutes to put in air. I use a simple bicycle pump to add the couple of psi lost.

Check out the Accu-Gage at http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store (then select Tire Tools and Things). Make sure you get the flexible hose that makes checking pressure a snap.

-DC
I think you are missing the point, people are inherently lazy or in a hurry! Well I know I am (both counts) :wink:

I even have a digital tyre pressure gauge and a 12v electric pump - but that ain't the point!

If you are on say, a 300 mile ride, how often do you check your pressures? Do you honestly check the tyre pressures beforeevery trip?

At the end of the day it is for each to do their own personal risk assessment - I would certainly just love to see some hard and fast data on these units and any failures. In the meanwhile my risk assessment as detailed above, crude though it is, will do for me - for now! :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
My response from when I inquired on how to order from:

http://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/saf ... alves.html

> Thanks for your response. That page wasn't linked to from our site anymore so I just removed it to avoid any future confusion.
>
> We had a problem with a very few sets out of many coming apart and the manufacturer didn't want to stand behind their warranty. We won't sell a product that we either personally won't warranty or the manufacturer won't stand behind,
>

>
> Regards,
> Terry
>
> Terry Smith
> Sampson Sport Touring
> http://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/

·
Registered
105 Posts
NormanB said:
I think you are missing the point, people are inherently lazy or in a hurry!
Sorry, I thought the point was safety.

NormanB said:
If you are on say, a 300 mile ride, how often do you check your pressures? Do you honestly check the tyre pressures beforeevery trip?
I check the tire pressure before every long ride when the tires are still cold. I don't check pressure for daily use around town, but I do inspect the tires for damage before taking off in the morning. In any event, I always check tire pressure at least once a week.

NormanB said:
In the meanwhile my risk assessment as detailed above, crude though it is, will do for me - for now! :)
OK

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Norman, Dennis, et all,

There's some merit in both points of view. I did have my fancy brass tire gauge with the flexible hose, and my 12v electric air pump, in the trunk when I went to Scootercade. I had checked & adjusted tire pressures just before leaving on the trip. Did I check tire pressures again before I arrived home? No - Score 1 for Norman...

However, I am not going to put these devices on my tires. If one fails while the scoot is sitting still - no big deal. But if one fails, causing rapid air loss, when I'm riding at 80 mph and loaded for touring - that's a whole different scene. I don't feel comfortable with that risk.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
30MuleTeam said:
NormanB said:
I think you are missing the point, people are inherently lazy or in a hurry!
Sorry, I thought the point was safety.
Dennis - well I may well be re-evaluating my own crude risk assessment, particularly with the info from the supplier.

However - on the point you make above. Well yes, it is about safety but it is about people too. Human Factors - thats the crux. In any safety analysis you have to consider what the average person will or will not do - in general they are lazy and do not do! So you design systems/procedures on that basis. (Well I did anyway!!).

8)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
This is a good product --If it works
-- I hope someone will look into it a little more. --Maybe NormanB :D
I would love to have a set on the bike for reasons already stated in other posts. But I am not putting a set on till I know there safe.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Randy said:
This is a good product --If it works
-- I hope someone will look into it a little more. --Maybe NormanB :D
I would love to have a set on the bike for reasons already stated in other posts. But I am not putting a set on till I know there safe.
After waxing lyrical about these little blighters.........

I suppose it falls to me .......... Nay, it is my duty to seek out the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

If I fail in my mission I will inform the forum, mount my trusty steed and ride like the wind to the nearest lake and cast nay, launch the offending blighters into its deepest part.

:roll:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
30MuleTeam said:
pauljo said:
Did I check tire pressures again before I arrived home? No - Score 1 for Norman...
Shame on you. :)
For not checking my tire pressure? Or for giving a point to Norman?
Just Kidding!

I make it a habit to check tire pressures on my scooter and motorcycle once a week - and the trip fell within those parameters. I was about 1 lb low when I got home, but the weather had cooled off some, which probably caused the difference. Some folks check pressures every day before riding. More power to them... they are doing the right thing. I am definitely too lazy for that.

The BIG "shame on me " should be for my car tires, which I probably check only 4 or 5 times a year...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts