Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my wife no longer rides (due to severe arthritis it is too uncomfortable for her), and she would likely get pissed if I was to pick up a cutie at a bar, I found the stock backrest to be more of an eyesore than anything useful. The "Type S" spoiler used on the 2006 400S was appealing until I added up the component costs, $500 + shipping from Boulevard. However a week or so ago I ran into one, almost complete, on eBay for $49 + $19 shipping:

nice LED "3rd" brake light:

It is heavy, the subframe is a steel weldment, and the spoiler itself is cast aluminum like the backrest frame.

Got it yesterday in great shape, everything needed except the front cover that goes over the seat latch ($18.04 from Boulevard, someday, maybe when it comes in from Japan), so I'm into it for a bit less than $100.

Obviously the nearly fluorescent blue was not going to work with my silver scoot so I searched through the "in-stock" rattle-cans and found some silver Duplicolor Wheel paint that was too warm a silver, and a can of Rustoleum Satin black, that can when applied improperly--as I found once by accident-- produced a nice textured finish. So there is was, not my first choice and not 100% sure I like it--but re-painting is easy....

Here is the result.

long shot:

closer:

closer yet:

back-end, I decided to bob-the fender while I was there--much less "Pagoda-ish":

I also found that there are no components of the stock backrest that are compatible with the Type S spoiler--it is a bolt-on replacement for the backrest but even the three 10 mm bolts that mount it to the frame are different, shorter by 10-12 mm. The same latch cable is used but that's it...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I really like the spoiler look, and the extra brake light. Good choice there.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you though I am not sure about the colour yet.

It might look better in the body colour but I would really rather not spend $20 on a rattle-can of paint, in large part because of the SWMBO factor...

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
I kind of like that black crinkle finish look.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I dig it.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Looks good, clean lines and the wrinkle paint works too. Nice job! :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts