Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I'm probably going to stir up a hornet's nest here, but I'm curious what people think.

I rode my 650 yesterday and included some curvy mountain roads. I was very impressed with the obvious power and engine braking of the big burg in the tight turns. You didn't hardly need the real brakes and I could not use all of the acceleration of fear of death by cliff.

Then I rode my b400 this morning about 100 miles of the best roads Los Angeles has to offer. I really rode hard and flipped that bike side to side, scraping most the way. The 400 has it on lightness and turn responsiveness. That bike wants to layover quicker than a pilot on his way home to a new bride.

So I can't decide which is better on those bodacious curves. I'm more comfortable on the 400, but that could be just a matter of more seat time on it. I think the 650 would be faster (I haven't timed myself on either bike). But which is the better twisty ride? I'd especially like to hear from those dual owners that have ample experience on both.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I have the luxury of riding with a friend that has riding skills very similar to mine. At one time we both owned a 400 and a 650. When we were both on a 400 neither could pull away from the other. Same when we were both on a 650. However when one of us was on our 400 and the other on their 650 that was not the case. The one on the 400 would have to ride much closer to the limit to stay with the one on the 650. If the 650 rider decided to ride to the same limit they could pull away from the 400 fairly easily.

The 400 feels lighter and more nimble when you are riding solo in the twisties. When you are riding head to head with someone of like skills you find that feeling is deceptive. You can actually carry more speed into and through a corner on the 650 than you can on the 400. It does not feel like it is responding as fast as it is.

However all that is academic when you are riding. Then it is which one you enjoy more that really matters.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
However all that is academic when you are riding. Then it is which one you enjoy more that really matters.
Agreed. You're name must be Reilly, because you seem to be living his life. I know I feel that way riding either of these magnificent machines.

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Twisties on flat terrain, near-perfect pavement - they're equal.
Twisties with ascents and decents - 650
Twisties on any road with rises, bumps/humps - 650.

Fun factor - they're equal.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I do most of my riding on crooked STEEP mountain roads. I rode a 08 400 4,000 miles from last November until July 1 when it was hit in the rear and I then bought a 09 650 3,000 miles since that time. The 400 is more nimble but is slower on speed upgrades and the lack of engine braking makes you use much more braking on steep and crooked downgrades. You can put the 650 in power mode and it is faster on upgrades and the engine braking on downgrades makes a great difference in the use of brakes. The 650 also feels like it is under less stress when worked hard in the mountains. I adjusted to the 400 more quickly than I did to the 650 but I now think the 650 is a better choice for the mountains. They are both far superior to the large heavy bike I had before. They made a large bike seem like work.

By the way, the Harley riders can't keep up with either one on crooked mountain roads and they are working much harder changing gears and braking hard.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice video osbornk, beautiful country. What was that ahead of you? Goldwing?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The strong is not the one who can put on the blades at a glance, and the one who is able to raise a smile from his knees. :) :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Nice video osbornk, beautiful country. What was that ahead of you? Goldwing?
I didn't do it but I thought it represented the road less than 4 miles from my house. Most of the road still has a 55 MPH speed limit even though some curves has 15 MPH signs on them. The road is steeper and more crooked than the video shows.

·
Registered
50 Posts
nice video. i ain't riding with you you go too fast! i actually thought iwas going to lose it a few times and i wasn't even there. thanks
ervin

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think this is a five or six year old promotional video shot by someone who you to run guided tours of The Dragon. I don't believe the camera man is on a scooter...;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I love reading about members and their long distance rides and the comparison between the 400 and 650 on "Twisties" was especially interesting. I know that the 650 holds the advantage in the mountains and wondered if a replacement rollers/sliders would give more engine braking? I know on previous post by Burgman 30102 it listed the advantages: http://burgmanusa.com/forums/52-burgman-400-2007-model/61409-21g-dr-pulley-sliders.html

Question: Would rollers such as the 21g Dr Pulley Sliders help on engine braking for the 400 or would it be only help as far as gas mileage and lower rpm's at higher speeds?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Ahm, how you dare to show up here with b400 -- don't you see - only 650s owners arguing with each other whose bike will go faster than the 400 in twisties. :evil3:

The least you want in mountains is 21g sliders. The engine braking is not affected.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
There are notes at the end of the video that says the camera was on a VFR800. What ever was in front of the camera bike was hauling the mail!
Great video, if you go to the Back of the Dragon website there is a bunch more info. www.backofthedragon.com

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
There are notes at the end of the video that says the camera was on a VFR800. What ever was in front of the camera bike was hauling the mail!
Great video, if you go to the Back of the Dragon website there is a bunch more info. www.backofthedragon.com
Wes, that bike leading was a full dressed Goldwing, Ether a GL1500 or GL1800. And yes they can haul the male and female's too. :D

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
For me I ride what little twisties we have out here, faster on my 650 than I did on my 400. Reason I know is my son noticed it right away when he rides with me. Dad leads & son follows on his Victory Vision 8-ball.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts