Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just wondering why no self cancel turn signals .

The last bike I bought that didn't have them was my new CB125 S IN 1975. all others from then on had them :rolleyes:

·
Registered
201 Posts
self cancelling turn signals

On a Burgman you have to cancel the signal yourself
by pushing down on the toggle switch.

How does a self cancelling turn switch work on a motorcycle?
Is there a significant cost involved in replacing the manual turn
signals?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On a Burgman you have to cancel the signal yourself
by pushing down on the toggle switch.

How does a self cancelling turn switch work on a motorcycle?
Is there a significant cost involved in replacing the manual turn
signals?
Hey sbett they cancel by their self by seconds or feet .

I think on my 06 Goldwing its by feet .

I just find it odd as me being on two wheels since 1975 and having that on

an import they have all been self cancel since the Cb125s. ( I think some Harleys are not self cancel too but not sure )

Don't miss understand me that's not a deal breaker for me but thought it odd.

And for most part yes I cancel turns off manually on most turns .

But with out it I could see how they could be left on at times .

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have never, in 55+ years of riding had a bike with self-cancelling signals, granted that my last bike, prior to the "scoot" (from Spring of '89 through May 2011), was a 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. It remains however that I have never experienced--or missed--such splendours.

Fact is they do not turn on by themselves, and I have never found turning them off to be any great tax on my intellect--just get yourself in the habit of doing it...

------------------------------------------------
* - I got divorced in late '88 an sold my much loved '68 FLH as part of buying back MY house--the Vulcan 1500 was a "rice burner" but as I told my Harley friends "It burns a whole bunch of rice!"

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Hmmmm......first turn signals in a car.....
you had to pull your arm back inside the window.
First electric turn signals in a car....YIPEEEEEEE..
don't have to stick your arm out the window any more....
but you still have to turn them off.
I liked the little pop-out signals that were in some of the
European cars...mounted in the door posts.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Maybe things are different in OZ but here most bikes do not have self-cancelling turns. I know some higher end bikes do like the Goldwing but most don't. To be honest I prefer a center push to cancel.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm really bad about not turning off my blinkers. I've been honked at by more than a few cars, actually had one today. Not sure what I can do to remind myself other than keep trying to remember.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'm really bad about not turning off my blinkers. I've been honked at by more than a few cars, actually had one today. Not sure what I can do to remind myself other than keep trying to remember.
I didn't have that problem on my Zuma because it had a audible clicker but I do find from time to time I forget on my Burgman since it is silent. Nobody ever honked at me though, most people here don't know what blinkers are! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe things are different in OZ but here most bikes do not have self-cancelling turns. I know some higher end bikes do like the Goldwing but most don't. To be honest I prefer a center push to cancel.

Hmm I don't know about OZ either :rolleyes:

But I can tell you every bike in my signature other than the Cb125s did indeed have self cancel Yes you can always hit the center and cancel manually and yes I useally have done that from 1977 to now.
Its just nice to have that if you forget two turn um off they will on their own :cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
201 Posts
Adding a self cancelling turn signal

To answer my own question:

The after market relays tend to turn off the signal after a set number of seconds or blinks. Relays such as the Kisan SignalMidner cost a little over $100.

The BMW cancelling turn signals continue to blink after you turn until the time/distance has expired. The timer starts when you turn on the signal so if you start the blinkers too soon, they may stop blinking before you make the turn.

Knucklehead wrote "I never had a bit of problems with the self-canceling signals." On the Harley (1987-2001), the signal stays on until you cancel it or until you've traveled approx 300 feet.

I would like to read more about switches that are activated by turning the handlebars and switches that are activated by the lean angle.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The BMW cancelling turn signals continue to blink after you turn until the time/distance has expired. The timer starts when you turn on the signal so if you start the blinkers too soon, they may stop blinking before you make the turn.
I had them on 3 BMWs and my V-Star works exactly the same way.

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
I had trouble with the turn signals on my 2005 400 but the 2009 400 is much improved that so you can see the turn signal lights on the dash. Not so on the 2005 I had. The 650 I had added LEDs to the mirrors which worked great.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The issue would be eliminated if more manufacturers used noisier "clicks" in the blinker function. My Genuine Buddies click so loud that I can hear my wife's bike from ten feet away. As a result, though, we NEVER forget to turn them off after completing a turn.

On my B400 (and Honda Reflex before that) you can't hear the signals at all, and there's a higher probability of forgetting to cancel them, especially if it takes a while to complete a turn. Oftentimes I'll just hand signal instead of the using the blinkers to ensure I don't forget to cancel them after the turn.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts