Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being age 75 and probably suffering from the last stages of Alzheimer's, I'm constantly forgetting to turn off my turn signals. I've tried the inexpensive and (for most peo0ple) effective "buzzer" but that won't work for me as I'm basically deaf and with my hearing aids out and my helmet on I can't hear a thing. And that leads to a suggestion for a new product: how about a single LED mounted on top center of the dash that would blink whenever either signal is activated? That would easily capture one's attention. If I knew anything about electronics I would invent it and sell it! Anyone have an idea on how to do this???

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm not sure that would get my attention.

How about a nubile 18 year old in a bikini, running backwards in front of the bike to wave at you whenever you left the blinker on?

·
Registered
572 Posts
kpoth said:
how about a single LED mounted on top center of the dash that would blink whenever either signal is activated?
Isn't that what the turn signal idicators are for? Maybe the bulbs could be replaced with something brighter? On a couple of motorbikes I've ridden they've had a single signal light at the center. It was easily ignored by me, too, because I was concentrating on looking up at where I was going. (Maybe a heads-up-display would work better?)

Anyway, I'm really bad with my turn signals, too, but I'm making myself get better. Going through the motorcycle course, we were told to follow this routine whenever we needed to change lanes or turn and to say it in our heads all the time until it we got it: mirror, signal, shoulder-check...bam! except "bam" was supposed to be when you cancelled your signals. The instructor made us sing the words in a rythm (fox trot, cha cha? ie. one-two-three-four, five and six--bam!).

Silly? Yes, but it works for me. Does that song play in my head while I ride? Yes, all the time :(.

:lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I have often thought it would be nice to have those arrows sort of projected in a 'Head up Display' type way.

But that is probably way too expensive how about a a couple of leds mounted on the top edge of the windshield with the wires retained by that edging strip sold for windshields.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The Aprilia Atlantic 500 I test-rode before buying my 400 had self-canceling turn-signals. Why worry about improved indicators, when they can be made to self-cancel?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
kpoth said:
Being age 75 and probably suffering from the last stages of Alzheimer's, I'm constantly forgetting to turn off my turn signals. I've tried the inexpensive and (for most peo0ple) effective "buzzer" but that won't work for me as I'm basically deaf and with my hearing aids out and my helmet on I can't hear a thing. And that leads to a suggestion for a new product: how about a single LED mounted on top center of the dash that would blink whenever either signal is activated? That would easily capture one's attention. If I knew anything about electronics I would invent it and sell it! Anyone have an idea on how to do this???
Here ya go! Seat buzzer.... :shock:

http://www.blinkerbuddy.com/info.html

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The seat buzzer is a good idea! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But that is probably way too expensive how about a a couple of leds mounted on the top edge of the windshield with the wires retained by that edging strip sold for windshields.
That's exactly what I want! The seat buzzer requires a lot of wiring and hollowing out of the seat. Other devices cancel after 20-25 blinks. All are expensive. The stock signal indicators are faded green in daylight and you would need to check both sides of the dash - below your normal line of vision. Of course one could make it a habit to hit the cancel button after every turn - tried that - doesn't work for me - too easily distracted by potential emergencies such as the idiot trying to extract a cellphone stuck in his ear just waiting to broadside me. :(

Radio Shack makee a single LED for $1.99, complete with resistor - bought one last night. My uneducated electronic thinking is to make a "Y" of the hot wire, attaching one to each turn signal wire and black to ground. Anyone electronically knowledgeable know if that would work or fry the harness?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
All of these devices just so we can avoid using our brain :?:
Just make it a habit, you put your shoes on, do you forget to tie your laces ? :lol:
But if you really need something get self-canceling turn-signals installed

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
kpoth said:
[Radio Shack makee a single LED for $1.99, complete with resistor - bought one last night. My uneducated electronic thinking is to make a "Y" of the hot wire, attaching one to each turn signal wire and black to ground. Anyone electronically knowledgeable know if that would work or fry the harness?
We have people with that sort of ability on the forum -anyone willing to have a crack at it?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Is that LED designed for a 12v or 5v power feed? If 12v then you're good to go. If 5v, it may work for a while but would soon fry due to the over voltage. Current draw isn't an issue in this case, but feeding too much voltage to any semi-conducting device is death-waiting-to-happen for that device.

Most LED's are 5v TTL devices, finding some for 12v use could be tricky, but could be done. One place I could suggest might be J C Whitney, as they carry mostly stuff for automotive/motorcycle 12v applications.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Yep...gotta have those diodes in there. { a diode is a one-way electrical gate} :?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Duster said:
Yep...gotta have those diodes in there. { a diode is a one-way electrical gate} :?
First - Thanks to everyone for their helpful responses on the Turn Signal Alert (including a technical formula that is beyond my cranial capacity). I'm going to check out the various sites referred to in the posts.

Second: I found a Red LED Assembly with built-in resistor (part # 276-270) at Radio Shack for only $1.99 and it is rated for 12v, 12mA-20mA with luminosity intensity of 110mcd. It has two wires, a red positive and a black ground and is about 1 1/4" long, has a threaded body and fastening nut for insertion into a mounting bracket.

Color codes for turn signal wires for the 400 (may be different for the 650): Left = black with a gold band or gold dash marks. Right = light green. Ground = black with white stripe.

I removed the Tupperware shrouds from the bars, slit the black tubing (carefully) to locate the wires. Added additional wire, red and black to each of my two LED's to give me the length I needed for my application . Why "two LED's"? Could have used just one by making a Y on the positive wire but was afraid of frying the unit if I ever had to put on all emergency flashers - practical paranoia. Ended up with about 15" each of the four wires which I encased in heat-shrink tubing to make one long strand from both LED's side-by-side, leaving enough open at the end to attach to the bike wires with suitable press-on-with-pliers connectors.

Tied the one long "braid" down, leaving enough braid to move with the handlebars and replaced the shrouds. Made an L-shaped bracket out of very light plastic with receptor holes drilled for the LEDs, painted black. Inserted the LEDs and mounted the bracket (temporarily) underneath the center top of the dash with duct tape.

The whole thing WORKS!

But I'm not yet satisfied with the positioning of the LED unit and am going to experiment with Richard's idea of reflecting it unto the windscreen or some method of getting it about three inches higher - so as to definitely intrude on my peripheral vision.

So far my total expenditure is about $6.00 in cash and about 3 hours of well-spent time.

So far this works so well I'm thinking of writing a step-by-step instruction page, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Please o Konrad! And please include pictures for those of us who enjoy them so much we say we NEED them! ;)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
kpoth said:
Duster said:
First - Thanks to everyone for their helpful responses on the Turn Signal Alert (including a technical formula that is beyond my cranial capacity). I'm going to check out the various sites referred to in the posts.
snip
The whole thing WORKS!

But I'm not yet satisfied with the positioning of the LED unit and am going to experiment with Richard's idea of reflecting it unto the windscreen or some method of getting it about three inches higher - so as to definitely intrude on my peripheral vision. snip

So far this works so well I'm thinking of writing a step-by-step instruction page, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just put in a heads up display a couple days ago, myself - the Jac Vinson beeper! I love having a reminder that my signal is on, cuz there is nothing I hate more than seeing an idiot running with his blinker on other than BEING that idiot!

Your solution sounds way cooler though. Would really like to see pics and parts list! What about fiber? http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/

Travis

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I still like the self-cancelling option. As best I recall, the Aprillia unit did not count flashes. It was wired to the odometer, and cancelled after roughly 150 feet of travel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I havent got my burgman yet so I dont know anything about the setup but with my X9 I simply bought 2 piezo buzzers connected one up to each indicator and had buzzing if the indicator was on, easy to fit & cost me no more than £1.50 and a bit of electrical tape :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts