Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a white 2012 650... I got it in May...
My bike got knocked over on the right side while parked.. It landed on a wooden planter...the tupperware got crackedwhere it landed, only about an inch or so long... I pushedit, and it popped back into place, but there is still a crack there.. my basic question is how is something like that repaired?

Do I order a new right front cowl and replace that, or use a rotozip tool or something like that & grind out the crack to good edges and glass something in.. How do I match the metal flake white finish? I'm thinking that I may look for a body shop or something like that.. I simply have no idea what to do..

I did find this.. butitlooks way beyond what I am comfortable with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4RECGjEOnE
THanks..

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
you will have to weigh the cost of making the repairs, painting it etc... vs ordering a new piece...

you can repair the abs plastic on our tupperware in a number of different ways, it all depends on
your comfort level and hands on aptitude when using bonding agents, fillers, sanding, prepping, painting etc...

others have used good ABS bonding agents / glues to repair their tupperware... there are also plastic welders
but that may be a bit of overkill...

I would use some good ABS glue along with some fiber sheets on the reverse side to reinforce the broken area.
fill the crack, sand and re-sand and prep it for paint.

matching the pearl white paint can be tricky...

good luck and sorry to hear about your mishap

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... It gone blown over in the Northeast storm that hit the East coast the week after Sandy.. Nothing in Sandy... and this caught me by surprise.. It depends on the cost...

I am toying with taking my dealer up on heated winter storage with oil change,etc and having the repair done over the winter.....but I have a cycleshell that I used for my MP3... I have my 650 in there right now.. (I only use the Cycleshell for the winter as it is a process to get any bike in and out of it..)... but the MP3 500 was a heck of a lot easier to move around than the 650...

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
If you don't mind the crack showing but just want to keep it from going farther then I would just weld it on the back side. You can use a soldering iron and heavy black wire ties. Weld it on the back side being careful of the heat so as not to burn the paint off the outside. You just need to blend the wire tie's plastic with the tupperware.

Then put some white body (Duct) tape over the crack. Or as another member did, white reflective stripe tape.

I have a crack or two on my Burgman but it does not slow it down and its hard to see unless I point it out.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
And if you come to the point of thinking of just replacing the cowling, and grow faint at the price of a new one, you can watch Ebay for one. Burgman tupperware parts show up there on a fairly regular basis.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave_J said:
Then put some white body (Duct) tape over the crack. Or as another member did, white reflective stripe tape.

I have a crack or two on my Burgman but it does not slow it down and its hard to see unless I point it out.
I was thnking the same thing.. I took a nice 116 mile jaunt today down on Cape Cod and it doesn't buzz or anything.. I wasn't aware that it could travel if not isolated..

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
Its unlikely the crack will creep like a windshield crack. So just putting colored tape over it should be OK. :thumbup:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Garnet said:
And if you come to the point of thinking of just replacing the cowling, and grow faint at the price of a new one, you can watch Ebay for one. Burgman tupperware parts show up there on a fairly regular basis.
Great idea !..

·
Registered
842 Posts
I repaired my pillion handle with ABS. bought it locally for $10. Took a drill and made many holes. Took the shavings from the
drilled out holes and mixed with a little acetone to make a paste. you have to work quickly but it worked like a charm.
The paint is a whole other story. I bought the 3 rattle cans necessary for the pearl white at colorite. It was something like $110.
What a ripoff. The paint never did match my pearl white. Since it was a pillion handle i got it as close as i could and left it.
My right rear pannel had some damage also from the previous owner. That panel looked so shity i finally found a used one on e-bay and bought it for $65.
I still search for pillion handles on e-bay. The problem is most of them are damaged or they have the opposite side i need or the wrong color.
1 new pillion handle i believe from Oneida suzuki is abot $200 with shipping. Tupperware probably costs more than a new engine for this bike.
Covering it up with a strip from autozone might be the best way to go about it. Someone one Busa has used the stripping you buy for detailing
your car and ran it along the border where the plastic meets the floorboard. Maybe someone can remember the post and help you out.
Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts