Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a red K8 400. When I bought the bike 4 years ago it had 800 miles on it. The owner had given the bike to his wife. She was a new rider and in her 50's. She dumped the bike and broke her leg...so I got a great deal. :thumbup:

When she dumped the bike she put some road rash on the front leg shield. The owner did a nice job of putting some tape over the damage. He bought some touch up paint and you can barely notice it. I never had it fixed properly. I haven't even taken the tape off to see how bad the damage really is.

I now have 14k miles on the bike. I'm considering buying a replacement front leg shield. My question is, do I need to worry about a replacement shield matching the rest of the red tupperware? Has the bike faded or weathered?

Also, I'm wondering if this is something I might consider taking to a body shop for repair. They want almost $400 for a front leg shield.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
My experience has been that if you order the parts from Suzuki the color will match.

Some body shops will repair the plastic but they will probably want you to bring just the part to be repaired in. Your local dealer or shop that does repairs on wrecked bikes may be able to point you to a shop that can do the repairs. When I low sided my 05 they repaired some of the less damaged panels instead of replacing them. The local Suzuki dealer did the repair but they sent the panels out to be refinished.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Most body shops will do it for $75-$100 per panel around here including color matching. :wink:
I have done the glue, sand, bondo, sand, paint, thing to my Tupperare with pretty good results but a long and tedious process it can be to do it right. A body shop can turn something like that around pretty quick with better results too. When I do it, it cost about $20-$30 per panel. So you can pay Suzuki, pay the body shop, or pay yourself depending on the result you are looking for.
Good Luck with your decision. :thumbup:

PS- Good tip, asking the dealer who they use, Buffalo!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Red is probably the hardest color to match during paint repairs as there are so many color combinations and oxides that can be mixed to achieve it.

The situation becomes more complicated if the red is also metallic, glitter, candy, dust, flake etc.

A good auto paint supplier may be able to computer analyze the existing finish and come up with a good match but it's doubtful that the new and old finishes will weather the same.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If the damaged panel is taped up - most likely it is cracked...!!! THAT would be the 1st problem to address. Matching the paint color is NOT a problem - Just go to the dealer and tell em what year and color and they can get it for you.!! The panels are pretty cheesy.!! I am on my 2nd front fender after mounting auxillary lights + after 2 weeks......where I drilled the holes to mount the lights - the fender cracked.........!! Cost me $167.00 for a new one....!!

Depending on the damage on that panel - you can remove it and use fiberglass cloth on the rear with ABS cement to reenforce it. And consider this.....also.!
On a Honda Goldwing website forum - one of the guys had his lower cowl - LINEXED...which is a textured spray on bed liner in any color.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
A good buddy of mine does spray in bedliners and sprayed the lower quarter panels of my 92 Corolla for me. The stuff is indestructible and it's the only thing that holds some major rust together on the car. Inside cavities are filled with expandable foam where the rust is and that is rough sanded to match the lines after it cures and it gets covered with bed liner. I bought the car new and it now has 420K miles on it and it runs like a top....even has the same 5 speed tranny in it. I'm thinking about just having him spray the rest of the car and getting it over with. It looks pretty funky but the flat black is maintenance free and doesn't cost me a cent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts