Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like strangling Suzuki in that most of the lugs on the tupperware are so fragile.

I have had to replace the rear panel and now the bottom leg run due to the lugs either breaking off or cracking.

I have taken to applying epoxy five minute glue to strengthen in and around the lug mounting points has anyone else used this or an alternative option to reduce breakage?

One advantage of the 5 min epoxy is that it does not go really hard and brittle but has a small amount of flexibility.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
An alternative is to repair the broken lug. There are a lot of YouTube videos on "plastic welding". This guy from Delboy's Garage, shows a fairly simple way to make repairs that others have done.

[youtube:1sjl11g3]k7GRNvPSf7k[/youtube:1sjl11g3]

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
I did a practice part to learn how to weld the ABS plastic. I used a drain pipe cut it in half and welded it back to together. I understand a paste can be made using acetone and some filing / chips to use as a filler.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
So far the only problem I've had have been the lower nipples on the radiator shroud and I cracked around the fuel filler by not letting the filler neck decide panel location. :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris, that is an excellent video which I saw a few months ago and then could not find it again. I have tried the hot weld and it is fiddly, I think the epoxy addition helps to bind it together.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
MJR said:
So far the only problem I've had have been the lower nipples on the radiator shroud and I cracked around the fuel filler by not letting the filler neck decide panel location. :(
Those cracks around the filler neck are common. Both my 07 and Robin's 07 developed them.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Buffalo said:
Those cracks around the filler neck are common. Both my 07 and Robin's 07 developed them.
That sucks. I think I caused the problem when I put the panel back on. I should have tightened the filler neck to the panel first and then secured the panel so it wasn't pushing back on the panel slightly.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
I don't know if it will make any difference. Robin's cracked before it was ever removed and replaced on the bike. The good news is that the crack doesn't seem to hurt anything. I first noticed the crack in mine about 30,000 miles ago but it well might have been there longer.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
In defense of Suzuki, I have to say, the 650 has one of the best designs for mounting all that tupperware...

as for cracks and breakages, it is often due to over tightening the bolts / bolts screws, or getting impatient when removing them.

I have undressed my 650 numerous times and haven't suffered any failures thus far, except for one small tab that cracked because of me pulling on it in the wrong direction... a little bit of crazy glue fixed it...

I am just amazed at how well the pieces interconnect and bolt in place....

repairing broken tabs or big pieces of tupperware is not not that difficult... you can reinforce it in the back by using some fiberglass sheets and fill in the cracks with the proper fillers which can be sanded down and repainted to look like it was shipped form the factory.

I have gotten to my 650 better than any other bike I have owned by virtue of having to take it apart for the CVT repair... I am just amazed by all the cool enginnering that has gone into building this amazing machine.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
In general I haven't had much breakage either. In addition to the above mentioned crack around the fuel filler, the little posts down on the bottom of the radiator cover eventually broke off and the tab that a screw goes through to attach the top right corner of the tunnel cover to the front box broke off . I used zip ties to replace the two post and plastic welded the tab back on. Considering how many times I've stripped the body work off my bike that's not bad.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The only tabs I have broken is the lower rear cover, the hook shaped locators- I put that down or my clumsiness. That was on my 2004 and I have had both my bikes naked without issue. However virtually every other Lardy I have seen in the UK have either one or both pegs on the radiator shroud broken!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts