Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Burgman 650. Love the bike, but as it ages, the "tupperware" seems to be becoming more fragile. I have replaced the front leg shield twice (the largest and most expensive piece of tupperware on the bike), and other parts as well. The stuff isn't cheap, and it seems that it cracks just from the stress of vibration and road conditions. I try to be safe and slow over potholes and railroad tracks, but I still get cracks. Just last week, someone parked over the lines and when they opened their door, it hit my bike and broke off a part of the front leg shield. Of course, I was in the restaurant and didn't see it, and they drove off, leaving the piece shattered on the ground.

I am considering selling it just so that I don't keep throwing money at replacing plastic on it. Does anyone know of someplace that makes cheaper, more durable parts for it?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a silver 03, same problem. Duct tape works great for me. Besides I can't see what it looks like when I am riding it anyway. As long as the windshield and seat stay on I am ok. But, I too find that the body moldings are a bit brittle for what they are designed for.The body pieces act like an acrylic than a true plastic. Heat and age suck what moisture is in them and they become brittle. Now the material that the glove boxes are made of is a real petrol based plastic, much more pliable and would not be good for body moldings. about the only thing you can do is to wax it often with a good wax, in my opinion.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
100mph tape! If it can hold a Nascar racer together then it will hold your panels just fine. Not pretty but it would work.

But seriously - One thing you might look into is a plastic welder. If the damage isn't too bad and you only weld the back side it will not be that visible. More serious damage may not look so good but even welding and repainting a panel is cheaper than replacement on the more expensive pieces.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I havent noticed anything like that but mine is a 400 and more recent than yours.

I would have thought both bikes us the same ABS.
I think the resilience of ABS is down to how much polybutadiene there is in the recipe and how well it is integrated into the polymer chains.

·
Registered
347 Posts
lots of epoxies out there that will work if plastic welding is not something you want to do. Heck JB Weld would work.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As SpeedNStyle suggested if the damage is not that big you might want to try and just weld the plastic together. Also I saw in youtube I believe (try doing a search on it) how you can weld the plastic body parts on your scooter or bike by using simple items such as zipties and a soldering iron. The Soldering iron melts the zipties which appears to have the right consistency to fuse the plastic together and supposedly it's a pretty hard and solid bond. I haven't tried this yet and was going to when someone ran into my legshield in a parking garage at my work and took off without leaving a note. But the insurance company covered the replacement (Thank goodness since it was over $400 for a new piece) part and the dealer that installed it would not let me have the broken part so I could play with it and try the ziptie technique.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It's plastic and if you want all the protection these bikes offer you just have to learn to live with the pit falls . I'm working on going in slightly a different direction on the plastic . What I'm doing is working on using a product like a Rust-Oleum plastic paint on all the shiny pieces . The Rust-Oleum is a great product and it holds up amazingly well . I just have to figure out a way to apply it where it looks decent without over spray and blotchy spots . I don't think any of us is all that enamored with the plastic but it is what it is . Personally I love these big scooters , the pit falls of the plastic bodies .......NOT SO MUCH !

TheReaper!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I suppose you could roll on that rubber truck bed liner. That would dam near make it bullet proof.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Silverwing plastics painted with rust-oleum paint

Here is a rear end of a Honda Silver-wing scooter , all the plastics were different colors and all lightly scratched up . I sanded the scratches down cleaned it all up and sprayed it with several coats and baked it in the sun .
It looks pretty good to me , I don't need that shiny off the show room floor look . I shot these in a special way to give the finish a matt leather look .

What I have found is for the bike to look nice all it needs in a uniform coating , it doesn't have to look like a Ferrari paint job to look nice . That said to tell you the truth I wouldn't ride around on a bike that was all banged up and held together with duck tape . Some people don't care but I do to me it's embarrassing .

TheReaper!

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Here is a rear end of a Honda Silver-wing scooter , all the plastics were different colors and all lightly scratched up . I sanded the scratches down cleaned it all up and sprayed it with several coats and baked it in the sun .
It looks pretty good to me , I don't need that shiny off the show room floor look . I shot these in a special way to give the finish a matt leather look .
From the Pics they look great! Can you put wax on them?

·
Registered
347 Posts

What I have found is for the bike to look nice all it needs in a uniform coating , it doesn't have to look like a Ferrari paint job to look nice . That said to tell you the truth I wouldn't ride around on a bike that was all banged up and held together with duck tape . Some people don't care but I do to me it's embarrassing .

TheReaper!
Give me a break, at least my duct tape matches and when I zoom by you don't even see it. Believe me I would have loved to buy a 03 650 with no scratches and very low miles, but, As hard I looked I could not find one for 2k anyway. There are no big scoots to be found in this area for a good price.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
From the Pics they look great! Can you put wax on them?
I suppose you could but for no good reason I could imagine ?
The finish is actually more durable than factory stock and doesn't
shine or need to .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Give me a break, at least my duct tape matches and when I zoom by you don't even see it. Believe me I would have loved to buy a 03 650 with no scratches and very low miles, but, As hard I looked I could not find one for 2k anyway. There are no big scoots to be found in this area for a good price.

Maybe the 2K limit is part of the problem ?

I'll give you a break on the duct tape , but I won't give me one .
I'm **** particular about what I drive , where and what I live in
and what I look like . Always been that way , and I'll probably die that way .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Maybe the 2K limit is part of the problem ?

I'll give you a break on the duct tape , but I won't give me one .
I'm **** particular about what I drive , where and what I live in
and what I look like . Always been that way , and I'll probably die that way .

TheReaper!
Hey, your skins on too tight, don't be so hard on yourself. 2k limit was not a problem. It was what I was willing to pay for a seasonal toy. I have learned after owning sailboats for 20years that you set your price and wait, one will come along. This one I bought was owned by a man in his 80's and he took very good maintenence care with the bike. I figured he had fell with it a couple of times. He pasted away and I bought it from his son for 200 dollars under trade in value. I think I did well. the six inches to tape you would have to look for.As far as the esthetics, the few scratches, I can live with, and can always repair. Mechanically it is sound and that is more important to me. You can have the best looking bike in town, but if it does run perfect, it is as good as a rubber beak on a woodpecker.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It looks pretty good to me
Looks good to me too. Right now I am fixing up my old Zuma and one rear panel was badly busted. I decided to give it a quick and cheap rattle can job. It isn't as glossy as the stock paint when it was new but it looks a lot better than faded and patched.

I suppose you could roll on that rubber truck bed liner. That would dam near make it bullet proof.
A guy did that to his scoot on another forum and he liked the results. A friend of mine has a shop that does the spray on liner and he said it works on some plastics{all the auto exterior plastics he has tried worked!}. He says you have to give it lighter coats but once done it is very durable. I am very tempted to try it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Looks good to me too. Right now I am fixing up my old Zuma and one rear panel was badly busted. I decided to give it a quick and cheap rattle can job. It isn't as glossy as the stock paint when it was new but it looks a lot better than faded and patched.

A guy did that to his scoot on another forum and he liked the results. A friend of mine has a shop that does the spray on liner and he said it works on some plastics{all the auto exterior plastics he has tried worked!}. He says you have to give it lighter coats but once done it is very durable. I am very tempted to try it.
You should try the bed liner on the zuma. That stuff could hide a multitude of sins. I have seen it done to a new beetle about 7or8 yrs. ago. The actual application of the material was done well, but it was a butt ugly blue and it was textured. I bet there are products out there that have a better finish.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I learned a lesson pretty good lesson on plastics about a year ago . I bought a Honda Silver-wing repo that had been in a slide for a good 50 plus feet . The bike had 1200 miles on it and the repo man had bought it from the bank and thought he would fix it up and drive it . It sat in his garage for a few years collecting dust , he gave up and put it on Craigslist for $1,300 and I was the first to see it , and I owned it in 30 minutes flat .

The body was a mess but underneath was a brand new Silver-wing . I couldn't find a body right away for it so I repaired the plastics as best I could and gave it a CAMO paint job . That's what got me started on thinking about another way do deal with these miserable plastics . The body was a disaster , the front end was actually warped from the heat build up in the slide , I had to heat it up to darn near the melting point to get it back into shape . I did a write up on it here
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/16-all-others/62442-silverwing-project.html

That was my first attempt and truthfully it isn't all that bad . I gave it to my son and he loves it , he said he's glad it's like it is so he doesn't have to worry about scratching it up . Any way that got me thinking more about a COATING instead of a fancy paint job . So I've been experimenting a little on old junk plastics trying to develop an inexpensive alterative to paying for new , or professionally painted pretty plastics . I talked to a body shop owner last week and asked him about Rust-Oleum plastic paint , he smiled and said 'this is REALLY a good product" . He said he could spray it for me in his booth but he would have to thin it for it to go through the nozzle . Then he said if I got one of those electric home sprayers it would probably work . Any way long story short , I'm working on it .

TheReaper!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts