Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, riding down a state highway near town, a lone tumble weed rolled into traffic. I saw it get blown down from a field on the right of the road. It rolled up to an 18 wheeler, but passed. It seemed to consciously check out a couple of cars ahead of me, but rejected them both. Then it rolled up to me,....and WHAMMO!
It disintegrated against the fairing, leaving scratches deep across the right side.
Suicide by Burgman...stupid tumbleweed, took the easy way out, leaving the rest of us to buff out the damage.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I don't have to worry about tumbleweed where I ride most of the time.

At night I have to watch out for suicidal 'possums and racoons, though!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Brian said:
There's a lot of skunks up here that don't quite make it to the other side of the road. I think that would be really nasty on a bike.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Brian said:
I don't have to worry about tumbleweed where I ride most of the time.

I ran over a porcupine once... (not on motorcycle, lucky me)

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Lots of freshly squished racoons on the roads around here every morning on my way to work.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Do you suppose bugs are attracted more to the silver Burgmans as opposed to the pretty blue ones? :twisted:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think because the Silver ones are faster, the bugs just don't have enough to get out of the way. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
mwolf451 said:
I think because the Silver ones are faster, the bugs just don't have enough to get out of the way. :lol:
Never thought of that! :shock:

So the silver ones are bug collectors, is that what you're saying? :twisted:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
It's not the speed of the silver, it's the invisibility of it. I swear!

Of all the cars I've had, one was a silver Honda Station wagon. It would reflect the color of it's surroundings and so blended in more than stood out. It was almost scary to drive in the streets of Wichita, KS, as other drivers didn't seem to see it. They'd turn right in front of you. They'd merge right into you. They'd drive right through you if you didn't honk at them.

You're a little safer on a silver burgman, since there's alot of black too, and of course YOU in that color mix. But the bugs don't even know you're coming.

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
You know, I can actually visualize that character in C.S.I. Grisom cruising Las vegas strip on a burgman! And taking samples of the bugs off his windshield, too! :lol:

·
Registered
250 Posts
You got lucky on that tumblweed. I've seen them big enough to bust out a car grill. A few scratches that can be buffed is getting off lightly, I'd say. They also tend to pick up debris that can be much more solid, like pointy rocks and stuff. Glad to hear you didn't have any of those horrible things happen to you.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Around here I get most of my "road" problems from buzzards, eagle, Road runners, and the occasional wild boar.
Never did meet a tumbleweed :)
But I hear they can be very nasty :(

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree that I was lucky that it was a small one. I've seen some with stems four inches thick and a couple of feet long...and the rest looked like a small tree. If saw one of those headed towards me I guess I would try to pull over.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Hit one at about 80 or 90 one dark night about 20 years ago in way-west Texas.

Scared the heck outta me.

I only had about 5 seconds to do anything...and I couldn't. It whacked my Pontiac hard and I kept cruising on toward Yuma.

Next morning? A couple of little scratches on my white paint.

Scary at night.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
No tumbleweed way up here in Mountie land.

Our chief instructor at the evening class for the safety course hit and killed a young 400 lb. moose though (and kept her bike upright too).

That would jar you !!! :wink:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow. My boss is from Alaska, and made comment that hitting a moose in a car is incredibly dangerous because the legs go through the windshield and are likely to skewer the people inside. She actually chose to flip her SUV coming down the AL-Can highway instead of hitting one. Cool that a bike is better off. When's moose season?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Cuz I might need someone else to strap it across their hood. My Burgy has alot of trunk space, but a 400lb moose is over my GVWR. The rack would look pretty cool attached to my windscreen, though....
:tard:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts