Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Burgman 400 failed to start today. I suspect, and hope it is a dead battery. In trying to remove the battery, the - terminal came off/unscrewed OK. However the left side (+) just spins and does not pull out from the battery. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Does the battery have captured nuts on it. By that I mean is there a framework with a nut inside it that is built in such a way that the nut is prevented from turning. You should be able to tell that by examining the (-) terminal. If so the nut is probably turning inside the frame. You may be able it hold it with needle nose pliers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. The negative terminal is just a threaded bolt. I am assuming the same for the positive terminal. I tried vice grips to no avail. It turns, but does not come out. Kinda frustrating...

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
So the bolt is just screwing into a thread lug on top of the battery any not a captured nut. Or do you mean there is a bolt sticking up out of the battery and you are screwing a nut onto it.

I assume you tried pulling on it while you turned it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a bolt with a round terminal end that screws directly into the side of the battery. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stripped screw in the terminal would seem to fit my dilemma. Hum, now how in the world can I get the battery out with a screw that just spins???

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
If that is the case then the post may be broken loose inside the battery and the whole thing is turning. Not sure how you are going to get that loose.

You may have to take the other end of the cable loose at the starter relay and pull the battery and the cable both out so you can get it where you can examine it better. The starter relay is up under the front fairing and you will have to remove the fairing to get to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I will just cut off the terminal end. Get replacement ends and clamp them on. Sound like a plan?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts