Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trust me !!!! PAY the extra for a low deductible

If you are here you are driving a plastic scooter , chances are pretty good that you paid plenty for it . If one of these just falls over it can cost thousands to fix . Even if you get in a low speed parking lot mishap , your bike could easily be totaled on a cost to value basis . A totaled scooter could drive down the road just fine , but totaled because the body would cost more than the bike is worth to repair . Personally I had a $500 deductible but changed it this week to a $100 deductible , and that’s in spite of me never having an accident or a claim in my 50 years of riding .
The cost to change from a $500 to a $100 deductible was $40 a year , if it were a regular old motorcycle I wouldn’t be concerned . That said these plastic scooters like my momma used to say are a different kettle of fish . Another bit of advise is have your bike paid for , if it’s not and you are in an accident you will be at the mercy of the lien holder and have to have it fixed . If it’s paid for and you have a $100 deductible you are in the cat bird’s seat . What I mean by that is you can get a better deal from the insurance company , like keeping the bike for parts and a good cash settlement . In other words you can actually make a profit on your mishap .

I’m not a big believer in buying warranties or being over insured 99% of the time , but like my Momma said these scooters are a different kettle of fish . This is one of those times where the old saying comes into play “penny wise and pound foolish” . Any one who has been around these plastic scooters for any length of time will tell you the same thing , great bikes but expensive to repair . Lately I’ve seen a rash of scooters getting banged up which made me change my deductible , I would advise all of you to do the same .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Reaper, your argument accepted. But I think it can go both ways depending how active you are prepared to be. Recently I badly cracked my front right legshield on my 400 by over exuberant stretching out on the bike during a long journey. I had my foot too high in the feet forward riding position and I used my toes to push myself back into the saddle (normally I use my heel low down). Yeah...I know, what an idiot! Because I stressed a largely unsupported area I cracked the front legshield. If the dealer was to do it with a new panel the cost would be £550. An abs repair only slightly cheaper with the spray work. Insurance would have paid for it, and I have no excess (that's our deductible). But by removing the panel myself and taking it to be abs welded and sprayed it will cost £110 and be as good as new and stronger. So most of us can mitigate these costs considerably. On a bigger job with lots of damage you can do that too but there is a limit of course and your argument is totally valid. But it isn't just scooters that suffer from this. My Vstrom had loads of plastic on it and was just as vulnerable. Many bikes are just the same as maxi scoots regarding this plastic thing. But then if you have a Vespa, it's all metal and the cost of repairs to that if it's dropped can be enormous too. It's just a sign of the times.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think a big factor is the essential absence of crash bars. There are numerous engine guards available for V-Stroms and almost everyone has them. We had a thread on this a while back and I found and talked to a company that is developing some, but I cant recall the name and I cant find the number I called.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Qwimby1 they say the memory is the first thing to go. Welcome to the golden years. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Reminds me of the birthday card my loving wife gave me. It quoted "To the man who has everything" and on the inside was "But can't remember where it all is." She know me well.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have a pickup truck which I have literally not turned the key in since December of 2013, but if I want to keep it licenced, it must have insurance. So I spoke with my insurance carrier (Geico - happy with them) to get the price down to a bare minimum. I discovered that the comprehensive/collision part of the insurance cost me only $54/year.

Talk with a live human being at the insurance company. They have access to TONS of info that you won't find on their website.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a very good example on why you need low deductible coverage on a plastic scooter . This guy bought new in 2008 put 10,000 miles on it and dumped it on both sides , and is now trying to sell it for top dollar ? Personally I don't know what some idiot will pay for it , but I know this Reaper looks at it as totaled . IMO a bike that cost more to fix than it's wholesale price is TOTALED . Can you imagine if this 2008 were a car ? And the owner wrecked it twice , has damage on both sides and still asks retail for it ?

https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/4683962630.html

TheReaper!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Honestly...that one looks OK to me. A few scrapes, nothing major. I bet a good detailer could fix most of those scratches & scrapes.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Heck it is pristine compared to mine. Besides I can't see what mine looks like when I am riding it anyway. That machine in excellent condition in my area retails for 4800 and some change. Look it's on Craigs List, there's probably some haggle room. If I bought it I wouldn't mess with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts