Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While riding last week with my group I tested my speedometer for error. I just tried two speeds. At 77 MPH on the speedometer true sped was 70 MPH. At 66 MPH true speed was 60 MPH.

How about a few other riders check intermediate speeds. You really only need a few other to match the highways like 35, 45, 50, 55 and 60.

Once you memorize them you wouldn't need to look at your GPS while cruising if you have no destination in mind or if you don't have a GPS. I know to subtract 10 percent from speedometer but I think my way is easier.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's a bigger error than I thought. I always figure I'm going 3 miles per hour less than my indicated speed, e.g., ride 48 in a 45.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
There is no need for others to check other speeds, the speedometer reads high by +10%.

Actual speed = 60; indicated speed = 60 + 10% = 66;
Actual speed = 70; indicated speed = 70 + 10% = 77;
etc...

This is common on Burgmans and many other Asian bikes.

There are devices to correct this, the SpeedoHealer and SpeedoDRD are a couple, however they will make the odometer record 10% fewer miles--and on the 650 will affect the "automatic" shifting points.

I use the SpeedoDRD on my 400, not because the mental math is overwhelming but because I like the speedometer to be correct and do the math when I care about distance traveled. I found on the '03 400 the engine runs better with the raw (uncorrected) signal being fed to the ECU:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My TMAX reads 10% off, if I remember correctly.

Doesn't really matter to me. I drive at whatever speed I feel is safe for the conditions and circumstances. Posted speed limits don't matter much to me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Many motorcycles have deliberate speedometer errors. Truth is this isn't a phenomenon restricted to just two wheel vehicles as there a reasonable number of car's, van's & truck's which also come equipped with somewhat over enthusiastic speedometer readings.
As a general rule I allow a 10% margin of error with any bike or vehicle I operate.
Interestingly the revised L3+ model 650 seem to have a more accurate reading with much less inherent margin of error
YMMV

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Not all Harleys are though. I've run into several guys whose Harleys exhibited the same 10% error.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
My TMAX reads 10% off, if I remember correctly.

Doesn't really matter to me. I drive at whatever speed I feel is safe for the conditions and circumstances. Posted speed limits don't matter much to me.
I feel the same way about posted limits, however the Florida Highway Patrol and various sheriff deputies seem to be of a different opinion.

Florida allows a lifetime limit of five traffic school sessions to get the insurance surcharges waived--I used the last one 5 years ago.

Re: Speedometer accuracy; the speedometer in my '98 Mercedes SL500 is the most accurate of any vehicle i have ever owned, spot on well within ±0.5% at any speed < 125 mph. At an indicated 155 mph the GPS said 153.8; an error of just -0.77%...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I feel the same way about posted limits, however the Florida Highway Patrol and various sheriff deputies seem to be of a different opinion.
Yeah, I know. Last time we were in Florida, my wife got a speeding ticket.

Florida allows a lifetime limit of five traffic school sessions to get the insurance surcharges waived--I used the last one 5 years ago.
Not sure what that means...but it doesn't sound good.

I've only had one speeding ticket in the last 15 or so years - and that one was a fluke (long story, but I missed the temporary speed limit sign), so it's not as if I am a menace on the road :)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Here in Florida moving violations are reported to you insurance company and they have the option of raising your premium. However you can attend "traffic school" (online, takes less than 30 minutes even with the timed pages) and the court will withhold the reporting of the infraction.

But there is a lifetime limit of 5 times one can elect this option--I have been here 24 and have used up all five.

I have a character flaw that makes me like to go fast--on open road under appropriate conditions of course--I drive very reasonably and defensively when the other idiots are out too...

·
Registered
158 Posts
My Vino 125 speedo reads only about 1 mph less than the gps but that could be the needle fluctuation. My V-Strom 650 speedo is a good 5 mph higher than gps across the board. My 2500HD 4X4 reads low and when the speedo says I'm doing 70 mph it's 77 on the GPS. All three vehicles are spot on for odometer so it has to be the manufacturers have to keep the odo's in spec but give a crap about the speedo's.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My Suzuki V-Strom 650 had the 10% speedo error as well as my Burgman 650 Ex. My 2005 Honda Element has a 10% speedo error as well while my 1014 Honda CRV is dead on when compared to my GPS.

Doug

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My Burgman (an Italian import)showed +8.1% speedo error when I bought it. I fitted a SpeedoHealer which corrected the error and converted from Kph to Mph. (The pink controlling wire to the ECU I left as it was). The speed indication is now exactly as my Garmin satnav, and the odometer adds up in miles. Perfect.

·
Registered
739 Posts
This has been discussed & discussed.. It's a 10% error.. My Piaggio 500 was 10% as well.. I don't find it to be an issue at all.. when I am on the road and my speedo says 80.. I know I am going 72.. No big deal.. at 70, I am going 63.. at 40 .. I am going 36.. Pretty easy to deal with.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It's close enough to 10% to use that as a rule of thumb, but if you buy a device to correct the speedometer, and want it dead on, most of the 650 Burgmans need 8.x% correction with a standard rear tire.
In the wonderful days of electronics, we don't have to settle for "close enough"

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Speedometer error

Maybe the best thing to do is just use your GPS.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Maybe the best thing to do is just use your GPS.
I, for one, can only read the speed on the GPS by bending closer to it, whereas the built-in speedo has close to 2" high digits.

Furthermore, the built-in speedometer always works, and doesn't need any mounts or power supply.

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
While in may have been hashed over and over, it still comes down to some want it to be almost exact and others are willing to be lied to. ;)

My first 03 650 was a very close 10% off. That was fine while I was doing the math in my head. Then I put a 150/70 14 rear tire on and did not rethink my math. I was pushing the speed limit of 60 MPH at what I thought was 65 to 67 (speedo showing 72 to 75 MPH) MPH and got NAILED doing 69 to 71 MPH. He wrote it for 69 MPH and it cost me $75 + insurance went up too.......

·
Registered
185 Posts
I put a bicycle speedometer on mine and the sensor magnet mounted near the center of the wheel rotor. I have it set to the diameter of the tire as measured for one full revolution. I have checked it against gps and I use that on my rides. Very easy, very cheap and accurate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts