Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tank on my '09 650 is supposed to hold 4.0 U.S. gallons. Has anyone ran theirs dry, then added a full 4 gallons?

I recently found myself in a remote section of S. Carolina on a quiet Sunday morning, showing 185 miles since my last fill up, when I finally found a station that was open. I was starting to sweat a bit. I'd been getting 53 mpg, and was just hoping it actually held four gallons, and would use every drop in the tank, giving me a bit over 200 miles range.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I've never ran mine totally dry but I did put 3.93 gallons in it once. I was sweating making the station on that one.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
+1. I've come very, very close on both bikes. The 400 has a 3.2 gallon tank, got over 200 miles on a tank and filled with 3.18. That's about as close as I want to get to draining the tank.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Jim how much did you put in and what was the mileage when you finally found a station ?

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
To be honest, most of my riding is commuting, and I rarely put more than 3Gal in at a time.
Using fuelly for all my fill-ups, I average around 44mpg (43.8 on one 650, 44.1 on the other, but it has fewer fill-ups recorded).
I normally top-up around the 127-135 mile mark, and normally around 2.8- 3 gal.
My best tanks have been in the mid 50's, and on a longer open road run, I'm sure I could achieve that again.

By my calculation, I'm good to 170miles in urban & hwy commuting, and 200 on a run.
Put have no desire to totally push it.
On the 400, I wouldn't want to go over 160miles...but I'm also putting less in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
On my 2013 400, I usually fill up around the 160 mile range and have acheived the "Holy Grail" 200 mile clip once:)

I have averaged 59.2 MPG over the 24 fill ups. I have hit 65 MPG on a longer run though.

·
Administrator
18,717 Posts
On a long run to visit with my father, I got to my planned fuel stop and they were closed. Back to the last fuel was 35 miles and forward was 30. I was at 178 miles on the ODO. I made it and the ODO was at 208 miles and I pumped in 3.98 Gals.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Usually the stated tank capacity includes a necessary air space for expansion. I normally anywhere from say 3.3 gal to 3.8 gal but keep in mind that includes the filler neck (which may hold a pint or more) because I fill it up to the little tube inside all the time.

Nothing against the 400 guys but when someone asks about a 650 specific question why do they post an answer to the question relating to the 400? Just wondering. :scratch:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info; it sounds like the 650 will hold a full 4 gallons. Model28, I don't remember how much I pumped in at 185 miles, but I knew I would soon be sitting on the side of a lonely road.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
+1. I've come very, very close on both bikes. The 400 has a 3.2 gallon tank, got over 200 miles on a tank and filled with 3.18. That's about as close as I want to get to draining the tank.
Liamjs - You were sweating for nothing...3.7 gal US capacity for '07+:laughing7:

200 miles is a cinch if averaging 60 mpg for the tank.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
View attachment 27273

Seems you are correct. 3.6 US gal with reserve. Didn't even know it had reserve.

See this is why we share information freely... Even though slightly off topic, I learned something. Maybe someone else did too. Knowledge should be discussed and passed along with abandon. You never know what some one else doesn't.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

Nothing against the 400 guys but when someone asks about a 650 specific question why do they post an answer to the question relating to the 400? Just wondering. :scratch:
I think it's because they enter the topic through the "Active Topics" listing, where it doesn't show the sub-furum label any more.

I miss that function, because I have no interest in 400-specific topics.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I think it's because they enter the topic through the "Active Topics" listing, where it doesn't show the sub-furum label any more.

I miss that function, because I have no interest in 400-specific topics.
That's what I figured but when you go to the post doesn't one read it before replying? :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
my last one day, 675 mile ride, on my 650 burgman I averaged 48mph. My friend, on his 1200 Harley sporster averaged the same 48mph. The difference was that I used regular gas and he had to use high test gas. We were on the interstate 98% of the time doing 70 to 80 mph.
Respectfully, david miller

·
Registered
5,795 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I keep a bit of spare fuel under the seat with one of those bottles like QuantumRift posted. Tho the brand is Primus not MSR, bets its the same exact bottle :)
The one I got holds 1.5 liter

I took it down to almost empty and it drank 14.6 liters once, never dry tho.

supposedly a 15 liter tank. I did not pay attention to my KM on the tank, as it was mostly city driving it may not be applicable anyhow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
One day at band camp on my 400 I got............................Sorry to piss off the "other" riders:bootyshake:

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
A strong tail wind sure helps mileage. On my ride this weekend I had a 20 mph tail in the morning. I went 201 miles before filling up and put in 3.76 gallons. That 53.46 mpg. About 3/4 of that was with the wind to my back and 1/4 angling back into it.

Then I turned riding directly back into that wind. Mileage was not nearly as good. I have not filled back up but according to the mpg meter I a got around 47 mpg. The meter says 44 but my meter reads 3 mpg low.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From all of these posts, it sounds like the 650 does indeed hold 4 gallons (US), but more importantly, the gas outlet is located properly, so that the tank can be run pretty much dry.

I did a group ride Saturday of 373 miles on rolling two lane roads. I averaged 53 mpg.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Mileage for a 650

I've been told the odometer is off a bit on the high side as far as how many MPG you get. I always checked my mileage by dividing the odometer reading from the"A" trip odometer by how much gas I can put in the tank. The most accurate method would be by using the GPS. I now wounder what the average MPG would truly be.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts