Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about some of you getting speeding tickets, I am now totally ready to buy a real cruise control for my 2009 400. I always use the one that my cage has because its so easy to exceed the speed limit without realizing it, so does anyone know which one I should buy and should I try to install it myself or have my bike "guy" do it?

·
Registered
806 Posts
tomfelock said:
After reading about some of you getting speeding tickets, I am now totally ready to buy a real cruise control for my 2009 400. I always use the one that my cage has because its so easy to exceed the speed limit without realizing it, so does anyone know which one I should buy and should I try to install it myself or have my bike "guy" do it?

Save yourself a bunch of $$$ and get a Brakeaway mechanical cruise control. They look and work very well. The only down side is on hills.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am going to cautiously and hesitantly ask a leading question, because I think it is worth it on the subject of the BrakeAway speed control...

I have talked to two people and test drove one bike with the BrakeAway speed controls. These are the only three pieces of information I have, but in each case both people that owned the bikes with it trashed them and said they were too finicky and ultimately didn't use them. One of the guys had positive feelings about the speed control, but after talking a little more with him he revealed he couldn't get it adjusted just right leading him to not use it.

The one I test drove (on a 650) just didn't work. The owner said he needed to adjust it again.

Although this is only three data points, I started to take it as this particular solution was too unreliable for the price. Any thoughts on this.....???

·
Premium Member
8,136 Posts
how about a chauffer, expensive but worth it

·
Premium Member
514 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a Brakeaway on my 650 and love it.. Never an issue... Typically on the 4 lane, I end up setting it at about 77 MPH (that's shown on the speedo) and that seems to go with the flow pretty much up and down hills .. If you are in a super hilly area, that's a completley different issue.. I live near the coast so it is fairly flat where I live..

·
Premium Member
14,229 Posts
Once you get the Breakaway adjusted right it works like a dream. Unless you are just lucky and get it right the first time you will probably spend a little time fiddling with it until you get it right. When I bought mine back in 07 I adjusted it three or four times before I got it right. Since then I've not had to do anything to it.

What kept getting me was the adjustment varied with temperature. If you set i to engage easily when it was hot out it would not hold speed when things got cold. It you adjusted when it was cold out then you could not push the button hard enough to get it to engage when the temps got hot. I finally figured out that the secret was to adjust it when the temperature was moderate (around 70). That way it would still hold when the temps were cold and the adjustment wasn't so tight that I could not get it to set when it was hot out.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Gimme a break.

The OP clearly asks for TRUE CRUISE CONTROL and as sure as amen in the church, everyone and his brother chimes in with how wonderful they find their crude but expensive throttle locks.

A true cruise control fulfills the purpose of driving exactly as fast as you can get away with, without over- or undershooting the speed.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Me have BrakeAway on 2005 Burgie 650, now same BrakeAway on 2009 Burgie 650, me very happy with excellent product it is. Yes it need fine adjust, work very well when this done.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Seems to me, that I've heard of a true automotive-type
electro-servo-motor cruise control, that constantly adjusts
the throttle body, based on signals sent from a speed
sensor.
I believe that it comes from Australia, & it costs several
hundreds of dollars....WAY out of price range of most
scooter riders.
So we go with lower-cost Throttle Lock type systems.
ME ?? I'm cheap..as in retired/poor.
I use the O-ring system. Caterpillar high-pressure hydraulic
seals...yellow neoprene O-rings. Cheap..work great.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Are there any friends on this forum who have direct experience of cruise control on a Burgman 400 who can help the O/P on the specifics.

The key information is cruise control systems and not throttle locks.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Duster, I believe your talking about the McCruise system. Its current retail is $1019.74 USD and runs on vacuum. I don't think the 400 would generate enough to run it. This would add additional costs such as a vacuum pump, etc. The Rostra is servo driven and would not need the additional complexity of a vacuum type. In it's simplest form there are just 3 wires to the bikes wiring harness, 2 to the battery and a cable. And it costs just a few dollars more than the BrakeAway throttle lock at $199 USD. The Rostra is $205 USD.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The Rostra Universal CC kit has a small control module that fits well on most bikes, I had one installed on my Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. The street price is $175 to $200, sometimes less on eBay.

Installation on a bike will require IAO skills, with no assistance available from Rostra as they do not support m/c installation.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm satisfied with a combination of a throttle lock & a GPS with a warning system for speed. Not perfect but far better than nothing & the cost is not too much.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Erik & Norman - please join me in teaching our dear forum friends how to read/comprehend - haha! Seriously though, I don't mind the replies that seem to answer a question that I didn't ask because if nothing else, they do enforce my desire for a TRUE cruise control. Mikey is a true clown - haha - but Mikeys replies I would never take serious. Mikey!!!!! U must start riding again in hopes that if u do, u will have less time for answers like bear poop - haha!

·
Registered
280 Posts
What happened to the old cruise control principal where we were taught how to read and understand what the numbers on the speedo meter meant, then used our ability to either increase or decrease speed, rather than letting a robot (speed control unit) do our thinking for us. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Muse - one thing I must say in response to ur comment is that in congested areas I would rather use my eyes to watch the vehicles around me than to use them to keep checking my speedometer.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have a Vista Cruise control on my 650. I love it, but with limits. It is the bestestest thing when the road is long and flat. On downhills I have had it increase 20+mph and also decrease 20+mph. Therefore I am always re-setting it. Some of the models are $25 and are just basic science and therefore worth the money spent. However, the next time around, I would spend the money on the Rostra or a comparable model that has built in speed control. Regardless, being able to rest my wrist on the straight-a-ways is of most importance when making a day long trip. I would not leave home without them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts