Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I have not had to do it (YET) I figure one day I may need to load my 2018 Burgman 400 into my Ford F-150 short bed...at 400+ lbs I realize it's not just a matter of picking the Scooter up and setting it in! I see Harbor Freight sells an aluminum tri-fold ramp for $89. It looks like it wold fit the bill nicely. Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? I like the idea that it folds, is aluminum and cheap (I've seen other F-150 ramps selling for up to $500+!!) I know Harbor Freight isn't exactly known for high quality but for something that looks like it would work that I may or may not ever need I'm considering it as an option?

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
put it in the dining room on a couple concrete blocks, long tablecloth, tell wifey it's a side table, then when you need it,,,

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yes, I have a suggestion for you. The best suggestion. The one that will prevent you from winding up on your arse, with a busted Burgman.

DO NOT BUY A RAMP!

Buy 2 friggin ramps! Trust me. I've loaded up many a sickle. And try to find a place, kind of like a V (a wide spread V, not just a rut) on the ground or pavement, and put your truck's rear tires at the bottom of the V. I heard the Burgman likes to high-center when the front tire is approximately equidistant into the bed, as the rear tire is remaining on the ramp. Putting your tires in the V minimizes the chances of a high center.

Put one ramp up to the center of the tailgate. Then put the 2nd ramp oh maybe 1.5 to 2 feet to the left of that. Crank the Burgman. Idle it up to let it do the "push" work taking it up the center ramp and (you) walk up the left side ramp. DO NOT RIDE IT UP. All you have to do is balance it and squeeze a brake lever to keep it from moving when you don't want it to, or to keep it from moving too fast. Just be careful walking up the ramp, but that is the best way. Trust and obey. 😁

I'm gonna draw a sketch of the V and add it below. It's important to understand what I mean by a V. It's always best to haul a Burgman (and everything else) with a Dodge Ram. But a Ford may work. 😁

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I bought four single-track ramps from Princess Auto (like Harbor Freight). I bolted the middle two ramps together, side-by-side, and use the double wide ramp in the center for our motorcycle's wheels to track on. I place the other two single ramps on either side of the double center ramp ... approx. 9" away from the center double ramp. I DO ride, under power, all motorcycles up these ramps having the luxury of being able to put either left or right foot down if I have to. If I want/need to, I can also leave both feet dangling to the sides or even duck walk the bikes up the ramps.

This system also gives me more wiggle room unloading/backing down the ramps. Even if I'm off center by a bit, I know I won't slip off of the edge. Works with my riding mower too only I use the double ramp on one side of my utility trailer and a single ramp on the other side. That way I only have to watch the single track when using the ramps as I know the opposite tires have lots of ramp to ride on.

The "find/use a slope" loading method just doesn't work for me as my property is flat and I'm not about to start running around looking for a "natural ramp" to load and unload my machines. Strapping the ramps is a good idea when in doubt of being solidly grounded. I'm sorry I don't have time to draw a picture ... too busy pulling Rams and Chebbys out of trouble spots with my trusty 20 year old 7.3L F-250. 😉

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
I got you beat with age and maybe mpg ‘97 Chevy Silverado Long Bed. I’m just a couple years till Antique Plates.

·
Registered
451 Posts
You do with age by 3 years. I've owned mine since it was born. What makes you think you have my mpg beat? I won't lie about it. If I just drive it around town here, I get my low of around 16.7 - 18 mpg. If I get it out on the interstate, 70 mph yields around 21 mpg. 75 mpg yields in the 19 mpg zone. I don't go much faster than that, at least not for long. It's done murdered an Altima. Mine is 4WD, long bed, quad cab, diesel, 6 speed manual. Just filled it up Saturday after putting 580 miles on this tank around town. I put 35.1 gallons in my 35.0 tank. The fuel gauge didn't look nearly that low, so now I'm wondering if I have a fuel gauge problem.

·
Super Moderator
918 Posts
Yes, I have a suggestion for you. The best suggestion. The one that will prevent you from winding up on your arse, with a busted Burgman.
DO NOT BUY A RAMP!
Buy 2 friggin ramps! Trust me. I've loaded up many a sickle.
Put one ramp up to the center of the tailgate. Then put the 2nd ramp oh maybe 1.5 to 2 feet to the left of that. Crank the Burgman. Idle it up to let it do the "push" work taking it up the center ramp and (you) walk up the left side ramp.
DO NOT RIDE IT UP. All you have to do is balance it and squeeze a brake lever to keep it from moving when you don't want it to, or to keep it from moving too fast. Just be careful walking up the ramp, but that is the best way. Trust and obey. 😁
It's always best to haul a Burgman (and everything else) with a Dodge Ram. But a Ford may work. 😁
Yes but it does make for some much funnier videos when a person rides one up the ramp. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I had a 20 year old truck, now I have a 2 year old truck. 2018 Ram 1500 CC 4wd. It's nice to drive a rear coil spring Cadillac ride truck. Has the eco diesel (Fiat) 3.0 and if your after MPG awards it can get 30 at 65 with no wind. Realist is 23 - 24 mpg combined city and Freeway at 75 mph. Only 25,000 miles so far and no issues other than the recall they never have the part for. Dodge/Jeep/Ram are the number 1 violator on handling recalls timely or if all in my experience.

·
Administrator
18,700 Posts
With the tailgate down my Burgman fits in my Short bed Stepside 1978 Dodge. But the wood bed floor is gone, I have all new to install soon.
Not mine, this is a drawing but is a 1978 Dodge Little Red Express STOCK truck

LRT Drawing.jpg

tn_standard_steel_bed_strips.jpg

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had a 20 year old truck, now I have a 2 year old truck. 2018 Ram 1500 CC 4wd. It's nice to drive a rear coil spring Cadillac ride truck. Has the eco diesel (Fiat) 3.0 and if your after MPG awards it can get 30 at 65 with no wind. Realist is 23 - 24 mpg combined city and Freeway at 75 mph. Only 25,000 miles so far and no issues other than the recall they never have the part for. Dodge/Jeep/Ram are the number 1 violator on handling recalls timely or if all in my experience.
Oooooh, nice. If my truck got stolen, crashed or exploded (nuclearly), your truck would be on my short list... If it could be had with a manual, the short list would only have 1 truck.

·
Registered
451 Posts
With the tailgate down my Burgman fits in my Short bed Stepside 1978 Dodge. But the wood bed floor is gone, I have all new to install soon.
Not mine, this is a drawing but is a 1978 Dodge Little Red Express STOCK truck.
Your truck is a horrible, steaming pile of you know what, and rubbish. Discontinue bringing it up. But uhhhhh, can I have it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
conroy6903, I have one of those 3-fold ramps, we got it at TSC. I've used it to haul an ATV, golf cart, and garden tractors.

It's very light, convenient and stable to use. The difficulty with hauling the Burgman imo would be ...

...where to secure the ratchet straps to the bike?

I'm sure there is a time tested safe way, I'm just not aware of it but I know in an emergency situation I could depend on the wife to toss the ramp into the truck bed to relieve me.

Fortunately I have tie down cleats just off the deck of the bed, fore and aft so I could ratchet strap through the step threw foot well but then what? I dunno sure would be swell to see pics from someone that's done it without any fallout.

·
Registered
451 Posts
808 - Get a few of the "8" loops. I don't know, I think they're called something else, but they have a loop on each end so they look like an 8. I attach those to the handlebar kind of like tying off a boat at a dock (a loop through a loop). Then I attach my tie-downs to the free end of the loop. That is 90% of the securing in my set-up.

Then I only really want to stop the rear tire from squirming left or right. So I generally find a place to run a strap through and around the wheel / tire. But seems like when I trailered my Burgman home, I had some trouble accessing through the wheel without touching something else. And that something else was likely to get damaged by the strap. So, I had some towels or wrags and wrapped them around the passenger grab handles, boat-tied a couple more 8 loops onto those, and cinched down with ratchet straps. The rags stopped the 8 loops from scratching the grab handles. It worked good.

I considered putting it on the center stand first … but I figured the stand would bang up and damage my trailer's rear floor. And the front tire wouldn't be on the front bar of the trailer, so the front straps would be pulling it forward and off the center stand. So the center stand is totally No-Go, in my opinion. Lastly, I keep an eye on it whilst towing it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Canyon dancers work really well with the handlebars. You can also use those figure 8's/soft loops to hang off of the triple tree to strap to. I have portable wheels chocks for my scoots that click in and out of e-track when I'm transporting the scoots.

For the rear of the scooter, use the metal tie down loops underneath the rear of the scooter inside of the mud flap to secure with. I know our 2004 and 2016 400's have them built in as does our Silver Wings. I'll guess the 650 likely does too. If they are not there, use the grab bar ... but wrap a cloth between any strap and the grab bar to avoid scratches.

Reactions: 808

·
Administrator
18,700 Posts
The "Soft Tie" loop straps work real well. I put one over each front fork tube and cinch the front down lightly then two more around the rear shocks on my 650 and cinch them down. Then a few clicks on the ratach straps.

A buddy used Canyon Dancers on his 2007 650's handle bars and when he hit a dip and the right side dropped first the bike shifted and bent the handle bar. Snapped his windshield off too.
bit too close.jpg

Reactions: Blacktruck and 808

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Very Nice Trucks ! Boys !

·
Super Moderator
918 Posts
Not mine, this is a drawing but is a 1978 Dodge Little Red Express STOCK truck
One of the best limited production trucks to ever make it to the market. I wanted to buy one when they came out but couldn't afford it.

...where to secure the ratchet straps to the bike?
Fortunately I have tie down cleats just off the deck of the bed, fore and aft so I could ratchet strap through the step threw foot well but then what? I dunno sure would be swell to see pics from someone that's done it without any fallout.
As Dave mentioned, the handlebars may seem convenient but I would not use them for a tie down point. Go off the fork tubes and the shocks or tire in the back. Having multiple tie points in the bed is a help too. Most trucks sorely lack in anything like that. I have hauled many bikes and not had any problems. Using secure points to strap the bike is key. I prefer to use the side stand but if necessary the center stand will work but take into account how it is setting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts