Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
GEL Are Good Battery's Because there Always WET

As with Wet Cell Battery's intend to Get Dry More, Worst in the Summer.

You have to Service Water Level Wet Cell Battery's Often, Once there Dry, Cell Plate Damage will Occur, Which the Plates Warp, Once that Happend's it's Pretty much a done Deal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My limited research on motorcycle batteries

Opinions please!
The Gel Cell Battery excels in slow discharge rates and slightly higher ambient operating temperatures. One big issue with Gel Batteries that must be addressed is the GEL CHARGE PROFILE. Gel Cell Batteries must be recharged correctly or the battery will suffer premature failure. The battery charger being used to recharge the battery(s) must be designed or adjustable for Gel Cell Batteries. If you are using an alternator to recharge a true Gel Cell a special regulator must be installed.

AGM is preferred when a high burst of amps may be required. In most cases recharge can be accomplished by using a good quality standard battery charger or engine alternator. The life expectancy; measured as cycle life or years remains excellent in most AGM batteries if the batteries are not discharged more than 60% between recharge.

AGM batteries out sell Gel batteries 100-1, although technology is improving and prices are coming down for Tru Gel batteries. Both can be mounted in any position and do not leak if cracked. They can operate at temperatures of down to -40F.

I prefer the AGM battery primarily because they are less expensive and I do not have to re learn maintenance routines for the newer technology batteries. Nor do I have to purchase another battery charger to charge the Tru Gel type of battery. There is however claims being made that the Tru Gel battery is the way to go because of its lower discharge rate, but if you maintain an AGM battery properly then it really is an apples to apples comparison.

Whatever you choose it is important to understand how to properly maintain the battery, especially with the newer technology that is beginning to surface.

Like I said in the beginning, the above comments are based on limited research, which I abandoned because of greater purchase and maintenance costs that I would have had to bear at the time of my last motorcycle battery purchase.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Cannot use a wet cell battery in a 400...
the battery lays on its side, & would leak
the battery acid..that's why a 400 comes
with an AGM battery.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks men that's a good run down...one addition to the charging method of AGM batteries is that they seldom take a charge easily if they are below 60per cent charged. The best way to charge them is with a standard lead acid battery hooked up to it (it wakes them up ) These findings were found by optima during their testing. We have found this works great in cars recharging.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I like the AGM batteries too.
Jim

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
heading slightly off topic, Saturday night I made the mistake of leaving the ignition key in the "emergency" position and ended up with a Burgman battery dead. I couldn't start it. I got a battery charger use it for 10 minutes then I jump started with a car.

Not a good thing. So I'm from yesterday on, I'm turning the key left being pushed so it wont allow you to go to the last position.

Just a heads up I'm sure it has happened to somebody else.

I also learned that the stock battery when really "DEAD" may overheat your charger!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
heading slightly off topic, Saturday night I made the mistake of leaving the ignition key in the "emergency" position and ended up with a Burgman battery dead. I couldn't start it. I got a battery charger use it for 10 minutes then I jump started with a car.

Not a good thing. So I'm from yesterday on, I'm turning the key left being pushed so it wont allow you to go to the last position.

Just a heads up I'm sure it has happened to somebody else.

I also learned that the stock battery when really "DEAD" may overheat your charger!
Happened to me Once or Twice, Lucky i had the reserve battery under the seat, Just Hit a Switch and She speed up the starter and Started right up,

Always good to Store a Back up Battery, Might be a way to Disable that Notch in the Ignition Key by Pulling a wire and Connect it to a Toggle Switch.

Elliott,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts