Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks. Hope all is well with everyone. I have not been on the forum before. No good reason, just working a lot. Anyway,I have had my 2007 AN650 for 3.5 years now. I love the bike and have had very little trouble with it. However yesterday going to work I turned a corner and all of a sudden the bike quit shifting. It will rev to high rpms but very little movement. The only thing I can think of that I may have done to it is add a little too much oil to the crankcase when I changed the oil the day before. Some research indicated that maybe the clutch is not disengaging due to the addition of too much oil. I don't know how to proceed to check out the problem. I have done maintenance on the bike twice a year and have done a valve adjustment along with lots of other maintenance. So Iam not afraid to jump in and investigate. I drained some of the oil out but that did not solve the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. : Joe

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Joe,

Sorry to hear about your problems, but it can happen on any bike.

I had a similar issue a while back. Bike would rev high when opening the throttle
from a stand still and it would barely move forward.

Had to play with thrtottle to generate forward momentum.

You can check the following to find the source of your problem:

Check your side stand & center stand switches first.

PPS --> check it to make sure it is still good.

CLUTCH --> Check your plates to make sure they are not slipping.

CVT --> The belt or other components could be going bad.

Good luck.

PS: You can check my Burg man center for corresponding DIYs.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
You say not much movement but does that mean it does not accelerate firmly or that it will not reach a very high speed.

It it seems to accelerate firmly but just will not go very fast that indicates either a stuck center stand switch, a PPS problem or an internal CVT problem. Like Le Dude says check the simple stuff like the center stand switch and PPS first.

If on the other hand the engine revs while the bike slowly gains speed that indicates a slipping clutch problem. But it does not rule out an internal CVT problem. Perform the clutch lock up test outlined in your owners manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you soooo much for your replys. Your LeDude Burgman site is awesome. Thank you for your input and suggestions. Buffalo thank you for your suggestions and input. I can see that I need to do some research since I am not familiar with the electrical and do not know how to perform a clutch lock up test. I have an online manuel with cyclepedia and a downloaded Burgman repair manuel. I will jump in and try to figure this out. Any additional information, videos, and help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. Safe riding to all. Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got it home

I work a lot and the bike was at work when it broke down. So finally was able to get the bike home. Since I was about to do a total maintenance on the bike anyway, I took all the plastic off and am now ready to dig in to find the problem. The bike barely moves forward when accelerated. Will not shift and on the stand, the rear tire will spin but only to a certain degree when I accelerate. some unusual noise coming trom the CVT side. Already checked the stand switches. they are working. This is going to be a slow process since family and work come first. I will keep you posted and will so appreciate any help as I go.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Since the problem started immediately after oil change, could it be that the wrong oil was used? Friction modifiers in the oil could be the problem.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The unusual noise from the CVT side does not sound good. By all means check out the clutch first though as it is easier to get to. If the clutch does check out OK and you have to get into the CVT then I suspect you will find a problem with the primary pulley.

If the belt were broken you would get no forward movement at all. What I would suspect you to find is that the keys that lock the primary pulley to the shaft have sheared. That would allow the pulley to spin on the shaft and not provide much thrust to the belt. However the secondary pulley could be the culprit. If it is not functioning correctly the belt could be going slack and slipping.

Only way to find out is to pull the CVT and crack it open. Good news is we have figured out you can pull it without having to take the whole bike apart. 1/2 days work can get it out and sitting on a work bench where you can inspect the insides.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I ran my K4 with a little too much crankcase oil also (maybe 1/16" above the F line on the sight glass). Ran it that way for 5,000 miles over the winter including a 2,200 mile trip to northern CA and back. About 5 tablespoons migrated from crankcase to "transmission" but no other issues. After changing oil, now I run it halfway up the sight glass. I don't think "a little too much" would cause your problem unless you used the wrong oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LeDude, first of all I want to thank you for your burgman site. The videos are awesome and very helpful. thanks you. Going back to my shifting problem. I checked a lot of things and finally pulled the clutch ( made the 2 tools needed). took it apart and found that the drive plates were under minimum tolerance. rebuilt the whole thing. Glad i did that, it was needed and I learned something new. However that was not the main problem. The PPS was tested and found to be faulty. Also pulled the CVT motor and saw that the gear was stripped. Looked into the tran. and saw that the gear it engages with was stripped as well. So I will now pull the motor, take the transmission apart and repair the damage. Your video will be very helpful and if you have any tips for me they will be greatly appreciated. One question though. This bike only has 26K on it. It has never been abused and I have taken good care if it. Seems odd that the tranny would have damage this soon. Any thoughts ? Also, how do i register with your site to contact you directly? thanks for your help , Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buffalo, thank you! that's a great idea. My engine runs great so no need to drop it. I will do some planning and then jump into the mix. I will keep you posted on my progress and pick your brain if that's ok. thank you so much!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts