Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang - I am a little panic-stricken right now. I just got off the phone with my local dealer scheduling 600 mile service. The best date I could get? July 7th. What the $^&*!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: I have 550 miles on my baby. How am I supposed to get around for the next 2+ weeks:?: :?: :?: :?: Of course, I have a cage, BUT..... I called the dealer in Louisville (where I bought it) to see if they could do better - no luck. Did anyone else face this type of back-up when getting service? Am I correct in assuming I should not ride much over 600 miles before having the service done? Unfortunately, I am not a mechanical type, so DIY is not an option for me.

Mjustice5898 and Blue Streak (AN400K5)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Getting a motorcycle serviced in a timely fashion can be a challenge this time of year. The demand for work versus the supply of qualified service personnel during the summer months is the root cause.

Since do-it-yourself service is out of the question for you, I'm not sure if there are too many options left open to you to speed up the process. You can check other motorcycle shops, if you're comfortable having a non-Suzuki place doing the work. Of course for the future you can try to guess-to-mate your service intervals and schedule way in advance. I know a couple who do this, figuring it is better to get the service done a little earlier if they miss guess, then getting it done late.

Another thing to check is if your local dealer has any special service plans. For example, the place I bought my Burgman from has a "Gold Membership Service". For an up front fee, you get three years of maintenance service, plus preference in getting any service. Gold Members are actually put in line in front of everyone else and usually get their machines in and out within a couple of days. As I do do most of my own service, I opted not to get the Gold Membership Service, but I know a few people who did and they are happy with it.

It is your call as to whether you want to go past the designated service interval. I think the first service is beau coup important and would be hesitant to go to far beyond, if just from a warranty point of view.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Mjustice5898,

Schedule your service & if you go over the 600 mile mark a bit in the mean time, as long as your new baby is still running fine, then I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.

If you are adamant about it, get the oils, the filter, your owner's manual, a service manual (if you have one) etc. together & stop by, I'll be happy to help out. I can do everything but the valve lash adjusments, which will have to be dealt with by a qualified service technician (not that I can't do it, but I'm sure you want to minimize any possible warranty beefs w/Suzuki!).

I live on the south side of Louisville, if you're interested in my help, shoot me a PM & I'll give you directions.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I scheduled my service, but had 800ish miles on the 650 before it got there. They said it didn't matter, and that 95% of their customers don't even schedule service appointments until they are PAST the recommended miles. The technician's opinion was that the scheduled mile marks are conservative for that reason.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the generous offer Wyldman. I really appreciate it. Thankfully, a smaller Suzuki dealer in Harrodsburg can fit me in next week, so I am much relieved. However, in keeping with 4D's input, I might still ride a little this weekend :lol: and not worry too much if I am a little over 600 by the time I take her in. However, I will now know to schedule well in advance to hopefully void this issue in the future. :oops:

mjustice5898 and Blue Streak

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was at around 678 miles when I rolled into my dealer for service. I was heartbroken that they couldn't have done it sooner but it was done the same day at least. So I rode the bus home and walked another 6 miles in the baking sun, but that evening my wife drove me back there and I rode my freshly serviced 400 back home with great enthusiasm. I missed the BEBE! I feel like a kid with a toy when it comes to this very serious piece of adult machinery. What a bike!
But anyways, I hoped that I didn't really hurt the longevity of the engine with that fiasco, and apparently it turned out OK. BEBE is running better than the day I rode it off the lot. :D
-Moo

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
mjustice, if it makes you feel any better, my local Suzuki tells all his customers to wait until 1,500 miles before the first service???

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Wellcome to the wonderful world of motorcycles. Service will ALWAYS be a pain. They treat them as toys not serious transportation. If the automobile had this type of parts & service system we would all still be depending on horses.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
gruntled said:
snipIf the automobile had this type of parts & service system we would all still be depending on horses.
As it is we depend on Arses! :lol:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
gruntled said:
Wellcome to the wonderful world of motorcycles. Service will ALWAYS be a pain. They treat them as toys not serious transportation. If the automobile had this type of parts & service system we would all still be depending on horses.
And the blacksmiths and saddle repair people would still take forever, since it's probably the mc dealers who'd be selling us these services

·
Registered
319 Posts
Tried to schedule my 600 mile service for next week yesterday, but dealer is booked up until 7/6/05 with servicing water bugs before the 4th. Oh well, guess it won't fall apart a few miles over.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
gruntled said:
You have to remember that for 91.78% (roughly) of all riders, riding is a seasonal sport. :lol:

Virtually all the regular servicing is done in about a 4 month window.

A smart dealer, in northern states, would offer a 10% labor discount for bikes brought in from Nov 1 to March 1. It would certainly help their cash flow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts