Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to do my first oil change (250-300miles) on my AN400K3, but I am having a difficult time finding the recommended oil. All the traditional oils in 10W40 amd 50 have an API rating of SL, while Suzuki recommends SF or SG. I would greatly appreciate some guidance here, as I want to ensure a good break-in. Thanks for the help. :?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Just get a good quality motorcycle oil from the motorcycle store.

Don't get synthetic or the synthetic blend yet
until you put on a few thousand miles, according
to a few knowledgable riders here on the board.

·
Registered
605 Posts
OK then let me educate you on the S ratings as far as I know. Maybe others can offer their knowledge as well. First the S. This stands for "spark" ignition type engines and as you know their are the "compression" types engines that are the diesel family. There is only one diesel engine M/C I have ever heard of.

The G is the American Petroleum Institutes (API) rating that manufactures could place on their containers along with the S...therefore SG...after they tested their oils according to a strict set of tests. Don't take these rating lightly. Now according to my information, they have improved their testing methods and have therefore upgraded from the "G" through the alphabet to what you now see as SL. The SL oils are suppose to superseed all other ratings and therefore can be used in place of an SG oil. This is the reason you are having trouble finding SG rated oils. If you can believe it, my brother found a bunch of the stuff in tin cans that someone was throwing away. It was a Sears brand. I used it all in my Suzuki GS450 GA and it works just great. Here in Canada, Canadian tire sell a SG rated oil and my feeling is that it is manufactured by Esso. I will used it in the 400.

Remember, the 400 engine is a roller bearing engine and can tolerant a lot of abuse but keep clean oil in it and you can expect a long life. That's my intention.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
for what it's worth I agree--so long as it's " SL " (L being higher then G) your OK--if you should get a supper buy on older SG it's still fine.

So what happens when they run out of alphabet letters :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help.

Thanks for all the replys. Your information has been very helpful. I also found a great article on the subject, check it out at:
http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm
Based on the article and advise from another Burgman owner, I have decided to go with a 15W40 oil. Thanks again and stay safe.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Bob wrote
Isn't the first oil change to be done at 600 miles?
Yes it is, but a lot of members do change oil before 600 miles just to get the shavings cleaned out sooner .
some leave the filter till the next change. this first change has nothing to do with the oil being degraded .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts