Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often have problems starting my Burgman on cold mornings, the garage have fitted a new electronic choke, they are now at a loss to what the problem could be. I've noticed on a couple occasions a ticking noise when I turn on the ignition, whenever this happens it starts first time. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Cold start problem are all too common with the carb model.

The ticking is the fuel pump it stops when pressure in the rail is built up.

Try on the centrestand with a handful of throttle.

Also make sure your plug and HT lead are sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will try giving it full throttle. It recommends in book to give it no throttle at all, and that's what I've been trying! It's strange because it starts first time when I jump it off a car battery, although my battery is sound.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So that's what the ticking is. :p

I notice it sometimes when it's cold and the bike hasn't been used for a while.

On mine its engine cold, no throttle. Engine hot needs a quick twist of the throttle while hitting the starter.

For really cold weather I've found that NormanB's suggestion of centre stand with a good twist of the throttle before starting to work as well.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
jackal said:
Thanks I will try giving it full throttle. It recommends in book to give it no throttle at all, and that's what I've been trying! It's strange because it starts first time when I jump it off a car battery, although my battery is sound.
Well maybe your battery is not as sound as you think then!

·
Registered
32 Posts
jackal said:
I often have problems starting my Burgman on cold mornings, the garage have fitted a new electronic choke, they are now at a loss to what the problem could be. I've noticed on a couple occasions a ticking noise when I turn on the ignition, whenever this happens it starts first time. Has anyone experienced anything similar?
I owned a Burgman 400 with carburator. Never managed to start it in one try. Usually had to retry once or twice. Cold or warm conditions made no difference.

When the Burgman was not used for several weeks, it started with the usual trouble and after a few seconds the engine stalled. My theory is that the long period of rest caused an interuption in the fuel supply; only after several restarts the fuel system is completely filled to guarantee an uninterupted supply to the carburator.

NB my Burgman was already fitted with carburator heating (which prevents the carburator from freezing at low temperatures and high humidity).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts