Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a wonderful perfect weekend for a ride.
Saturday was great and we met up with an old buddy on his ’85 Honda Interceptor and had a great time. Arranged to meet early Sun morning for a ride through and past Bear Mt state park and into an afternoon of woodland twisties in the lakes regions…

Sunday morning. Warm, dry blue skies, pretty clouds... and off we go, first 90 miles are glorious!

Then the Interceptor breaks down.

One set of cylinders refuses to fire. We take it apart and trouble shoot it till it becomes apparent it is not the plug or coil or loose wire anything we can find.

All is not lost I think as I dial the Automobile Club of America’s (AAA) road service line. I have plus RV service and it covers MotorBikes. Or so I thought.

Time to vent:

After 10 minutes of explaining exactly right where we were with the aid of my Garmin GPS (Beautiful view of Stony Point Nuclear plant across the lake) AAA rep states “we don’t do Motorcycles” and hangs up on us.

“Huh, Wha..?”

I call back they confirm I have RV and that the AAA membership with “plus rv”includes motorcycles, then I get put on hold for 20 minutes. When the service rep comes back (finally) she tells me she has tried but her supervisor says, “No way we are towing a motorcycle, not in New York State! Take it up with your local NJ office”.

At this point the cell phone is almost dead and we have the engine apart. We put everything back together and the bike starts up fine, but for how long???? We limp back to Jersey, and the bike dies again just a few blocks from my buddy’s house in Jersey City.

AAA NJ tells me next time locate someone, pay them and submit the bill for reimbursement if the local AAA branch gives me a problem.

I added the plus RV “service” for peace of mind. Sheesh…

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
JohnnyDeath,
That was strange, but then dumb people have a way of getting important jobs :?
I ran out of gas one time on my BMW, took AAA (+) about 30 minutes to get free gas to me (filled up my 4 gal. tank) :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh well at least now I know that I just have to find some service and I will get reimbursed. It wass the initial first hang-up that set me off, and in my home state of NY... I just had a need to vent when I posted.

Generally AAA is great they changed a flat for my wife yesterday in less than 30 minutes forom call.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I agree with you ,They are pretty good.
But it is a shame so much customer relation hangs on sometimes very poorly trained personal. :?

·
Registered
239 Posts
The infamous AAA...

My family owns a Towing Service, Heavy Machinery Transport, and a Salvage Yard...I actually sold my third to my Brothers not quite two years ago and have sort of semi-reitred and am taking a 9 month off Sabbatical..then back to Chocolates my first love...but thats really another story..

The Towing Service...26 trucks and we do Mopeds to Tractor-Trailers...took on AAA for about 16 months. I leaned a LOT about them in that time.

First is that (at the time) there were 84 Seperate AAA companies that all work under license from AAA Corporate whose office is in Heathrow less than 20 miles from where I live.

This is why your NJ was not Honored in NY...if you look at your membership number on your card the first three digits will by the "Club Number". Auto Club South that covers most all of Florida is 014.

The normal procedure if your out of your clubs geographic area is for the local club to provide service and bill the club you belong to...just as they do in there jurisdiction. The hope is they balance each other out by the end of the year.

However not all clubs offer all types of service...that is why you have the privilege of paying cash and submitting the bill for reimbursement.

Now the Nasty...

Why don't we Honor AAA anymore???

They are the LOWEST paying club as far as what they will pay the Servicers...the next lowest is Allstate Motor Club...who reimburses at TWICE AAA's rate...and by the way Allstates RV and Cross Countries RV (Good Sam and a number of others) has an UNLIMITED benefit level you can get.

And if your on the West side of the Mississippi you BETTER have that...Towing an RV out west...if you can find a tower with the equipment and more importantly WILLING to deal with Fragile Coaches won't think anything of presenting you with a bill for $1000 for a 3 mile tow.

We charge $300 Hook Up and $5 per mile...we have 7 Large Motorhome Dealers within 10 miles (Florida after all) and are the recommended Tower for 6 of them..number 7 is a deadbeat and we only take payment from the coach owner if we go there.

AAA wants to reimburse $75 and $2 a mile for me going out with a $300,000 Tow Truck...Removing and Replacing the Driveshaft...Running Air Lines if it has Air Brakes...Stringing Safety Lights...and trying to manouever it into a Dealership that thinks I can turn around in 10 feet.

Well back to AAA...

The answer when we complained about the low rate was "You Can Make It Up On The Repairs".

We don't DO Repairs. And even if we did we would not use them to Subsidise the Tow Trucks.

As a General Rule Motor Clubs Don't Give a D*mn what happens to the member as long as they look good by the Towing service arriving within the stated time and dragging you away...

Whatever you do to them in the Shop is immatterial as long as THEY aren't Paying The Money.

The Absolutely Cheapest Form of Towing Insurance is to be gotten from your Insurance Provider...AND IT IS NOT A MOTOR CLUB.

It is seperate Towing...usually for $20 or so a year you can get the same benefit as Plus memberships..the ONLY difference is YOU pay up front and they Reimburse..you pay a fortune for the privilege of "Signee Tickeee".

And here is another thing people don't think of.....

I have (motor club) that I pay $125 a year for and I maintain my vehicles so I need them once every 3 years...thats $375 for a jump start...your better off just setting aside a cash reserve and not having a motor club at all unless you drive junk.

Motor Clubs also DO NOT reimburse for towing for accidents and the Police Departments are NOT going to wait for a Motor Club Tow truck to show up...at an accident the police call for a Tow truck and You BETTER be their in the 20-30 minutes they allow and get the road cleaned up in a hurry...motor club wreckers take too long and usually don't have fenced holding facilities to take the vehicle to.

Geez..what a rambling rant...motor clubs are a hot button.

}:~D

~ Roland

1 - 5 of 5 Posts