Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2008 AN400
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another topic of interest to riders preparing for long trips - what advice to manage personal and bike security?

I'm interested in travel security in terms of the Burgman being fully loaded with gear (and nothing of any real value there - I mean, "Here, take my dirty socks and underpants...") but you want to park and take a walk around without coming back to find your stuff missing.

Assuming no hard cases - rather, a big duffel bag strapped across the passenger seat - what would you suggest?

Secondly, how would you prepare to deal with unsavoury characters you might encounter: perhaps not professional thieves, and not crooked officials, I mean just some dudes in a bad frame of mind and upset with coming across a foreign rider, and looking for trouble via physical intimidation?

Appreciate any suggestions or advice, discussion of which could be very useful.

· Premium Member
9,673 Posts
prob too late now, but self defense classes, martial arts, boxing etc, wherever you are, whatever you are doing, you have your hands and brain with you (mostly) they are also the only defensive device that can't be taken from you and used against you

Reactions: prossett

· Registered
1,838 Posts
bike security?
I like a chain lock that can be seen.(Visual deterrent)

And a disc or wheel lock that's not so obvious. (Second means of surprise defense) - (Just make sure you have a reminder somewhere that a disc lock is active. Much self harm can be inflicted if you forget).
Some disc locks can be purchased with an in-built alarm.
I use a cycle cable lock to secure my helmet and jacket to my Himalayan. ( Thread it thru the jacket sleeve, and helmet chin guard).
Cable locks are also available with an alarm built in.
Font Gas Tool Home appliance Machine
Tire Product Automotive tire Camera accessory Synthetic rubber

· Registered
2,423 Posts

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,092 Posts
Bear or Pepper spray, small keychain type. "Humans" pepper sprays are stronger than bear sprays, but bears sprays have more range, in some countries/areas carrying pepper spray is illegal, where "Bear" spray is not :unsure:

Use paid parking when possible, or hire one the local "vehicle watchers", when I traveled thru some South America countries, there was always an entrepreneur/unofficial street parking attendant/watcher at most tourist spots we visited,
it was always best to hire them, than not :cautious: :unsure:

· Registered
76 Posts
Sorry to say if someone is going to have it then they are going to have it.
All you can do is make it as difficult as possible so they move on to some other scoot.
As for personal defence it all depends which country you are in, here in the UK the courts have often come down on the side of the crook ! I know absolute madness but thats the UK justice system for you.
Btw..If you intend to visit the UK, once in Northern France just buy yourself a rubber dinghy cross the channel and once in UK you will be put up in a hotel with three meals a day for free can’t go wrong with that !
But joking aside as I previously said , just make it as difficult as possible.

· Administrator
18,096 Posts
A 1 wheel trailer with a Locking box.

This is just 1 of many trailers on Youtube that can be made at home in a couple days.

Reactions: Bigmc and prossett

· Administrator
18,096 Posts
It takes a lot of skill to tow a trailer behind a bike. Loading the trailer is VERY VERY important. That is why it may not be allowed in some countries.

This Video below from a man and wife team shows why. If you follow their journeys, HE has many crashes but she does not. In my opinion, he oversteps his skill set too many times.

· Premium Member
5,106 Posts

· Administrator
18,096 Posts
OK, not sure on the 400 but the 650 has a hollow rear axle and that is how a lot of trailers are mounted so the weight is unsprung and on the tire, not the body.

That trailer may work but I'd want to put some Motorcycle 16 inch hiway speed rated tires on it. Getting the hitch modified to fit the wider motorcycle hub may take some thought.

Reactions: DarisPakar

· Registered
1,838 Posts

· Registered
2,617 Posts
Sort out your payload by expendability. Things you can afford to lose (inexpensive, replaceable -- some clothes and adverse weather gear) go in the external bags (tailbag, soft sidebags if used). Things you can't (helmet, good gloves, good armor, electronics) go under the seat. Helmet (if modular or full-face) can be cable-locked through the visor opening to the grab rails or a hardpoint added under the seat. Do NOT count on the helmet's D-ring as a lock attachment point, they'll just cut the strap. A Burgman 650 itself is heavy enough to present a difficult target for outright theft of the bike, but not an impossible one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts