Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be going from Houston to Key West in a week or two, and this time I will be REALLY prepared for the trip.

Will bring with me:
one-piece monsoon rain suit
water-proof boots, latex gloves
joe rocket pheonix jacket and gloves
sheepskin for the seat; throttle rocker
hot patches for sore neck
vioxx
pants with seams in the right places
cig plug-powered back messager (nah)

I bought my burgman 650 from CT and rode it back to Houston about three weeks ago, went through some really horrific weather changes. Found it worked really well to stop by every 75 miles: gas up and drink/eat alternatingly.

Plan to visit four different friends along the way this time...no motel costs and free food! 8)

On the way back I will load the burgie on the back of my friend's chevy truck, tie it down, and bring it home.

·
Registered
925 Posts
You left one important item off of your list, what about a good first aid kit? I carry one with me everywhere. Of course I am very, very, accident prone. :D

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Good checklist, but if you carried it all, you'd need a trailer... Of course it is geared for camping, which adds a lot of items.

One thought is that if you can easily buy something you "might" need on the road, don't carry it. Oil, for instance. The 650's have not been using any on our tours so far - and if yours did, you could buy it anywhere. Might not be your preferred motorcycle brand, but a top up wouldn't dilute what you have in there much.

Best idea I think is to create a personal checklist after touring a bit - and modify it as you gain experience after each trip. You'll always carry some items you don't use, but wouldn't want to be without in an emergency (tire repair stuff, snake bite kit, etc.). And I still tend to overestimate when I pack clothing - half of it comes home unused.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
You'll always carry some items you don't use, but wouldn't want to be without in an emergency...And I still tend to overestimate when I pack clothing - half of it comes home unused.
If you have the space/carrying capacity, I always say 'better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.'

I'm watching the threads carefully, and like reading all about people's longer trips, because I'm planning a long one for September. About 3500 miles. I read one post about a 6800 mile trip, and compared to that mine's just a short commute; but it'll be the longest trip ever for me.

Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Camel back

If it's hot, consider carrying a camel back. You could probably
leave it under the seat and still be able to drink from the hose.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I've always used a hydro-pack when I ride on hot days. It works great, but I can't remember who makes it. You can pick a quality one up at any local bike(mountain,road,bmx)shop for a decent price. They come in really handy, don't weigh much when full, and the water stays cold for a long time. Also will keep you pretty cool in the process. I used to take 50+ mile trips on my mountain bike, and it never failed me once.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Camel back

Monterey10 said:
If it's hot, consider carrying a camel back. You could probably
leave it under the seat and still be able to drink from the hose.
That was the idea of stopping every 75 miles to gas and drink. dehydration could be severe, considering that the wind and heat evaporate sweat. the proof is that even with 32 oz ice tea every 75 miles, i hardly had to look for bathrooms from TN to MS. :? these stops also gave my butt a rest.

thus the purpose of wearing phoenix jacket and gloves even under 92- degree Houston sun now. with the sun blocked off my body, i actually feel cooler than wearing only tank top...both temperature- and appearance-wise. 8)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
With warmer than average temperatures predicted for the West Coast this summer, I'm planning on getting a mesh jacket and a gel vest for my trip to Southern California.

And since it's an unfamiliar route for me, I'm going to carry two 32oz. MSR fuel bottles just in case I under estimate the distance to the next filling station.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brian said:
With warmer than average temperatures predicted for the West Coast this summer, I'm planning on getting a mesh jacket and a gel vest for my trip to Southern California.
Warmer weathers...I see, Seattle is hitting 80 degrees finally. :drunken:
Over here, when it is 70 out, i will have to wear my 3/4 length jacket with liner removed on the bike.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
lifegetter said:
Warmer weathers...I see, Seattle is hitting 80 degrees finally. ...Over here, when it is 70 out, i will have to wear my 3/4 length jacket with liner removed on the bike.
Yes, as with almost everything else, it's all relative.

My nephew is visiting from Phoenix, and while we're running around opening windows and turning on fans, he's closing windows and putting on sweaters.

However, my reference to mesh jackets and gel vests applies to this:
Brian said:
...my trip to Southern California.
I'm seeing forcasts of many 100+ degree days down there this summer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brian said:
However, my reference to mesh jackets and gel vests applies to this:
Brian said:
...my trip to Southern California.
I'm seeing forcasts of many 100+ degree days down there this summer.
I will be in Seattle around Aug 2 to help my son move to LA (around Aug 10). If I see a silver AN650 along the way, I will assume it is you. :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
lifegetter said:
I will be in Seattle around Aug 2 to help my son move to LA (around Aug 10). If I see a silver AN650 along the way, I will assume it is you. :wink:
'twon't be me. I'm going south in 3rd or 4th week of September.

On the 2nd of August I'll be returning from the July 31st Seattle (Edmonds, actually) to Spokane Teddy Bear Run for Shriners' Hospital.

I know there are at least two other silver 650s and one blue one in this area, since Everett Powersports sold them the same week I got mine, but I haven't seen any others on the roads yet. I think I'll bump my "Sleepless in Seattle" thread to see if I get any fresh lookers.

My Burgman is easy to spot as it still has a blue left mirror housing. The replacement silver one has been "on order" for three weeks now. Warranty work appears to be a low priority for Suzuki's parts department.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brian said:
On the 2nd of August I'll be returning from the July 31st Seattle (Edmonds, actually) to Spokane Teddy Bear Run for Shriners' Hospital.
That's really funny, because I will be in Spokane first to visit my friends and pick up some junks I left there before arriving Seattle. My trip to Seattle goes like this: Houston -> New Orleans -> Chicago -> Spokane -> Seattle -> LA -> Houston. Just in case you see a blue WRX, gold wheels with a texas plate and possibly bike (bicycle) rack, that's me! :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
lifegetter said:
...My trip to Seattle goes like this: Houston -> New Orleans -> Chicago -> Spokane -> Seattle -> LA -> Houston....
The fastest route from Spokane to Seattle is via I-90, but it's a pretty boring trip.

If you have the time (about an hour longer driving time, plus stops) I'd recommend US-2 to Wenatchee and Everett, then I-5 from Everett to Seattle.

In case you don't know the area:

A diversion north to see Grand Coulee Dam is worthwhile if you're into man-conquers-nature spectacles. That's where the Columbia River was harnessed to create a large majority of our electricity, and created one of our largest lakes.

Wenatchee is the center of the Washington apple industry. There's a beautiful spot there called Ohmie Gardens (not sure of the spelling. Omie, Ohmee, something like that).

Just before you head up to the summit of Stevens Pass there is a little "Bavarian" village called Leavenworth that's worth a stop; German restaurants, gift shops, etc.

The views through Stevens Pass are much nicer than I-90's Snoqualamie Pass, but it's 2 lanes rather than 4 lanes along much of the route, so that's why it takes a little longer -- lower speed limits.

Anyway, something t think about.

Have a nice trip.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brian said:
lifegetter said:
...My trip to Seattle goes like this: Houston -> New Orleans -> Chicago -> Spokane -> Seattle -> LA -> Houston....
If you have the time (about an hour longer driving time, plus stops) I'd recommend US-2 to Wenatchee and Everett, then I-5 from Everett to Seattle.
I agree. I took that route a couple of times before, especially when I had to drive to Vancouver BC from Spokane, and it was the best way to go. I used to teach at Gonzaga University. Next summer hopefully I will get to ride to Banff. :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts