Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the Givi screen on my 2013 650, but in the current hot weather here in the UK I need more exposure to the wind - its just too hot behind the Givi.

I was thinking of cutting down the original screen, maybe so it is just higher than the instrument cowl. Has anyone done this already, and if so how easy is it to cut the plastic accurately?

I did a search but couldn't find anything,
Thanks
Lloyd.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The Givi acrylic is pretty amenable to cutting/drilling/sanding. Leave the screen on the bike, cover with tarp/sheeting--plastic shavings will get everywhere. Measure off where you want to cut and draw your line. Draw another line about 1/8"-1/4" above that line. This is the line you actually cut across. Unless you are awesome at cutting windshields, the actual cut will wander and requires sanding down to even out.

Put masking tape on both sides of the windscreen along & below the cut line to prevent scratches while working. Mask off the windscreen as well to prevent scratches while working. Just overlap with painter's tape.

As for tool selection, hacksaws work, but take forever. Rotozips work fine, but are expensive to buy. Angle grinders make an stinky mess and melt the plastic. Almost everyone has an electric drill though. Find a drywall cutout bit, about $10. It has intermittent, squared off grooves for chewing through sheetrock sideways. Then go to it. Maybe practice once or twice a few inches above the cut-line to get the hang of it--not too fast or slow. The screen will vibrate and you don't want the drill to jam/crack. An assistant to hold it steadier is very helpful.

Once you're happy with you efforts, start sanding. By hand is fine, palm sander if you have it. Coarse grit to fine, changing when it gets clogged with plastic dust. Round off the corners for professional look. Ta-da! Now you have a shorter windscreen. I also drilled holes into the lower part (with a step-drill bit) to reduce the awful turbulence the GIVI kicked up. Still not perfect, but that's motorcycle aerodynamics for you.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Lloyd - I would caution on a Rotozip, simply because they can sometimes grab and cause a gouge. You can prevent but, have got to have a steady and firm hand (and, advance the tool in the correct direction relative to rotational direction). In any case, I think when you cut down the stock shield you would end up with something similar to the Burgman Sport windscreen. There haven't been many threads posted about them that I recall, except for one talking of the opposite problem...wanting to put a full screen on during winter.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
... I also drilled holes into the lower part (with a step-drill bit) to reduce the awful turbulence the GIVI kicked up. Still not perfect, but that's motorcycle aerodynamics for you.
I'll co-sign that statement

The only good thing about the GIVI screen is the hand protection. I wonder if they ever did any testing during development ?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I can't say I have seen a post with someone cutting down a stock 2013-up wind screen but there were a few folks that did it to the earlier models. Apparently all the older posts are no longer there so searching won't turn them up. Sad that this was such a great resource.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have cut down several windscreens to various heights for my Honda Pacific Coast. The trick I used was to put masking tape on the windscreen where I planned to cut (put it on both sides of the windscreen). I would then take a marking pen and draw my cut on the masking tape. Next I used a fine tooth jigsaw blade in my jigsaw and did the cut with the motor on the slowest position my jigsaw had. After the cut, I would sand with various grit sandpaper starting with 200 and working to 800 on the edge. After a final polish, the edge would look factory.

I bought a scratched windscreen off of the Pacific Coast mailing list to use as my experimental windscreen the first time. Minimal loss of money if I screwed it up that way.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
70 Posts
I cut mine down on my 2005 400. I cut it down to where it was about 4 inches above the dash. I took a dry marker and a piece of string and made my arch while still on the bike. I taped both sides of the mark with painter's tape and cut it off. No problem what so ever. I used a orbit sander to smooth the cut up and round off the edges. After looking at it I knew it needed something else so I took it off and used spray tint and sprayed about 4 coats of lemo on it and it looked factory. Can't see through it, but you couldn't see through it before anyway.. I cut mine off because I am a big guy and it was too short to do me any good. Easy project..

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
What is "lemo"? I did a Google search but all I found was a company that makes electronic and fibre optic connectors.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts