Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searchin the internet and found a trike conversion for about $2000.
Anyone ever see, ride or convert one?

I've always wanted a trike just couldn't part with 30-50K.

I'm seriously thinking about the ultimate accessory...
:twisted:
Ed

·
Registered
69 Posts
The side cars cost a lot more than $2000 and they stress the hell out of the bike. I am interest in them but not sure they are worth the trouble. Please feel free to point out your opinion if you feel think otherwise.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I assume you mean the "Insta Trike/Mini Trike". (http://www.tow-pacinc.com/). If so, it looks very interesting and the price is right. I'd like to hear from anyone who has had first (or even second) hand experience with this product. It sure cold be a solution for those of us who are verically challenged. :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I think if I wanted either a side car rig or a trike, I'd base it on a Gold Wing. I know it would cost a lot more, but there are various companies with considerable experience working with that platform. The runner-up would be Harley - but I'd prefer the stronger, smoother, water cooled Wing engine.

We had a guy in Connecticut get seriously injured a few years ago when the front mount of his sidecar rig on a Moto Guzzi let go and dragged him into a guard rail at considerable speed. I would want the strongest base platform and mounting system available.

My 650 has seen some reduction in both mileage and top speed just from adding the big XXL Clearview wind screen and the Givi trunk, which both create wind drag. I think the main factor is the wind screen. Adding a sidecar would definitely impact performance and mileage.

Handling would be affected significantly also by either a sidecar rig or a trike conversion. I'm not sure I would like that. But for some folks, especially with leg, knee, or hip problems, the added stability is worth slowing down a bit for. I understand that, because I'm willing to trade a few mph of top end and several mpg for the greatly enhanced comfort of the big windscreen.

That said, I heard of a guy back in the sixties that did some significant touring on a 175cc 2-stroke Lambretta scooter with a side car rig AND pulling a small trailer. You know he wasn't moving too fast, but he did get where he set out to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts