Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealership installed the leads/wires for a charger to my battery. All I need to do is buy the unit and the Burg 650 is ready to go.

My question is the following:

If i use my 650 at least 1-2 times per week (over 1 hour each time) do I need a charger of any kind? I plan on winter riding here in Florida (winter is the most fun actually).

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Ride her every day and you'll never need a charger again - you can do that here in Florida!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Twice a week should be more than enough for a good battery. If the battery is getting older it may start to lose its charge.

No risk in putting the trickle charger on. It shuts off and maintains the battery. Up here in the north , I leave it on all winter (5 months) to keep battery from freezing. I have heard that excessive heat is harder on a battery than the cold, but living in Canada I will never be able to prove that

Hope you bought a good charger. I wouldn't trust the maintain cycle of some of the cheap $8 off shore items. Battery Tender, Optima, Schumacher all make a good charger in the $30 range.

Blakers

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Even one 20 mile ride every month, no charger is needed.

That being said, if you hang a bunch of accessories on the bike that draw power, a run of at least once a week would be a good idea. After that, (storage, etc.) a trickle charger is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Buy a proper microprocessor controlled charger/maintainer such as the Schumacher SP3 or SEM-1562A. There are a number of others out there as well, either of the Schumacher models are around $40 street price.

What you do not want is a plain ol' el cheapo brain dead "trickle charger" that just puts out a constant 1/2 A 24/7--or one of the off-brand $10 supposed "float chargers" that look like a strung together daisy chain of cheap parts--like this:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think it's better for your battery to be fully charged at all times, but I can't say that for certain. I leave all my bikes on the basic Battery Tender model that goes to float after a full charge. My 09 Weestrom still had the original battery when I sold it this year.

·
Registered
276 Posts
That's a trickle charger which will probably work for you if the battery doesn't get too far down. For an extra $20 you can get this one, which I use.

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

Note that even this tender won't recharge a completely discharged battery, as I discovered once when I left my GPS hooked up, even though it was turned off. It drained the battery completely. The Tender has to see a certain voltage...don't remember how much...or it won't work. I had to hook up my regular car charger for a while to get enough juice in the bike battery to make the Tender finish the job.

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I use what Suzuki sells http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/scooters/Products/Burgman 650/2014/AN650A/Accessories/Maintenance/990A0-99046.aspx?Style=&CategoryId=4 .

But you can find the same charger on Ebay for $50.99 with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/380975627011?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT .

I own three of these things and use them on my other bikes, ATV and small tractor.

I ride the Burgman so often that I don't need a trickle charger on it.
That looks like a good unit...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Bump. :)

Is it okay to leave the battery in while on the trickle-charger?

I have a Schumacher SC-1000A from Auto zone. It sounds pretty "smart" for charging/maintaining batteries. With winter coming on soon, I want to be sure to keep the Burg "alive" while I'm not riding it.

I haven't even opened the battery box yet... can I connect the clamps directly, or should I get leads installed? (Its early Sunday morning, gimme a break. ;) )

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I've used the Battery Tender Plus for years and it does the trick. It puts out more amperage than the Junior, so it works pretty well on car batteries too.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
This is the one I have used for several years. Works well for me all winter long. Our winters here in Pennsylvania go from about 30 degrees down to 10 degrees.
I've had two Battery Tender Juniors for years and they have work well on everything from motorcycles, lawn mowers, ATVs, cars and even my camper. I've had no problems and I got mine on sale for $19.99 each delivered.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The answer to the Ron380's actual question is:

YES, IT'S OK TO LEAVE THE BATTERY IN WHILE USING THE TRICKLE CHARGER!

In fact, the charger probably came with a stub which you can hook to both poles of the battery and leave the end dangling out from under the seat, so you can plug/unplug it a whole lot more easily.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
My dealership installed the leads/wires for a charger to my battery. All I need to do is buy the unit and the Burg 650 is ready to go.

My question is the following:

If i use my 650 at least 1-2 times per week (over 1 hour each time) do I need a charger of any kind? I plan on winter riding here in Florida (winter is the most fun actually).

Thanks.
I've seen batteries go in a year where a tender was not used , and I have personally had batteries last for 5 years or more where a tender was used religiously . You have to understand that there isn't much to these little batteries , so it doesn't take much to run them down like leaving your light on under the seat . You sound like the "occasional" rider so I would highly recommend you using one .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
352 Posts
The answer to the Ron380's actual question is:

YES, IT'S OK TO LEAVE THE BATTERY IN WHILE USING THE TRICKLE CHARGER!

In fact, the charger probably came with a stub which you can hook to both poles of the battery and leave the end dangling out from under the seat, so you can plug/unplug it a whole lot more easily.
Thank you! :cool:

No stubs came with my charger, but it has the "compact" clamps (not full-size like jumper cables), so it should easily clamp on to mine.

I have a 400... I didn't notice 'till later this was 650 territory. Sorry folks. ;)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Ron the charger you have seems to be a great charger for cars trucks and boats, and a good charger for scooters and bikes. That said if you plan to leave your scooter hooked up to a charger all winter long I would be more comfortable with a microprocessor controlled charger like the ones in the links posted in the posts above. Your charger goes down to 2 amps and the best chargers for scooters and bikes will only charge at 1 or 2 amps maximum and go down to milliamps.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts